Trade Ideas Thread

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by BonesJones, Apr 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BoomChakaLaka

BoomChakaLaka Well-Known Member

Designer / Artist
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico (formerly PDX)
    CJ, Collins and Simons

To Brooklyn, for

Caris LaVert and Dinwiddie

then trade Ariza (expiring contract) and Whiteside (sign & trade?) to a San Antonio for Aldridge and pick.

I’d re-Sign Melo.

UKRAINEFAN likes this.
  2. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    I wonder if NY would be interested in CJ, or if they'd rather keep a flexible cap to go after Giannis or some other big name FA.

Cuz if they are interested, then this trade wouldn't be as bad for them as the Porzingis trade by a significant margin:
    upload_2020-8-26_13-10-6.png

(I would want to send Randle on somewhere else, though, as he's not exactly a team player.)

Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
    UKRAINEFAN likes this.
  3. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    Why would Brooklyn want CJ after Levert so thoroughly outplayed him? The knocks on Levert are selfishness and defense. Well, he averaged 6.7 assists in the bubble, and if you're looking for an upgrade on defense, you don't look at CJ. Also, can Brooklyn afford to shift Dinwiddie given Kyrie's notorious fragility?

4. twobullz

twobullz Well-Known Member

The Brooklyn trade is no where close to matching in salaries so no way that would work.

why would SA do that, if they wanted Whiteside they can just sign him?

5. AmirIcon

AmirIcon Well-Known Member

Writer, Director, Actor
    I'd throw my left kidney into the deal with Brooklyn but I don't see how it gets done.

UKRAINEFAN likes this.
  6. GhostOfPGA

GhostOfPGA The late great Paul Allen

I think CJ fits with Kyrie/Durant better than LeVert, just because of his offensive flexibility and is a better catch and shoot player. However, Dinwiddie isn’t going anywhere because you’re 100% right on Kyrie.

7. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

Gross.

Dinwiddie is a below-average shooter and terrible defender.

Levert cant defend and is a questionable shooter.

LaMarcus isnt a good defender at PF anymore and is a 1uestionabke 3pt shooter.

Seems like a bunch of players that dont fit Dame.

We cant just "sign and trade" Whiteside to San Antonio.

8. pougie

pougie Active Member

Who says no?

POR gets: Kevin Love, Josh Richardson, #5

CLE gets: Tobias Harris, #16, Zach Collins, future PHI 1st

PHI gets: CJ McCollum, Dante Exum, future POR 2nd

With the 5th pick, grab Deni Advija and have him be the primary/secondary playmaker off the bench with a backup pg and work him up starting sf in year 2. Now use the MLE to sign a backup pg and 2 bigs.

Dame/(Augustine? Napier?)/(Tre Jones?)
    Richardson/Trent/Simons
    Ariza/Advija/Hood
    Love/(Green?)/Little
    Nurkic/(Noel?)/Gabriel

?’s are just some names that come to mind for who I think we can get in combination that would fill the MLE or come on a vet min like Augustine or Napier. Jones in the 2nd round or buying a pick for Manion would be a strong move as well.

I also think with Ariza’s expiring, Richardson’s PO, Simons’s and Little’s rookie contracts, 2 backup bigs, and picks available, there is enough to find an upgraded big 3 and D guy like Porter/Covington/the Boston 3/etc.

Btw, first post! Big community, I hope to be able to have Blazers conversations more often!

9. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

happy to be your first "like". Welcome to the board--I hope you enjoy it here.

I'm not exactly sure why Philly would be on board with dealing Richardson and Harris and a first for CJ and filler. IMO, they would be the ones to say no to your proposal.

'Course I could be wrong if Philly is really looking to blow things up, but it just seems like too little for them.

pougie likes this.
  10. Cugel

Cugel The epitome of mediocrity

Canvas Repairman
    Shabazz is small but proven to be a solid PG off the bench. Plus portland already has the fucking shabazz song. Noel is having a good year for OKC. Seems like all those concerns about his attitude and heart were BS. Dude is so perfect for lobs. AND I have never seen him try a 3. Knows his role.

11. UKRAINEFAN

UKRAINEFAN Well-Known Member

un-retired
    kudos for sticking your neck out on your first post.

BoomChakaLaka likes this.
  12. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

Trying to think through moves with the TPE. But just don't see a whole lot there that's appealing. Maybe if a team were getting rid of a young guy ala Harkless when we landed him, but otherwise, not a lot of appealing veteran options under 7.1 million. Trey Lyles, Reggie Bullock maybe

13. pougie

pougie Active Member

Hmm interesting take, because I have viewed Horford and Harris as both net-negative salaries but it seems like you see Harris as a positive. I looked at their end of the deal as you can get off the Harris deal and bring in a shooter who had has playoff experience and can space the floor. For all of CJ’s faults, one thing you can count on is that he’ll show up when it counts the majority of the time and what he brings is what they need more than anything right now. They can also probably hide him better on defense with Simmons, Embiid, and Thybulle. I saw Exum as an expiring to help PHI with their cap situation and I think if all it takes is a first rounder, it’s a good deal for them.

They might never be able to move off Horford’s contract and never improve their chances of winning with the Embiid/Simmons duo. You’re also getting into a significantly better cap situation in the deal. CJ’s contract is significantly smaller contract (an average of $5M difference in salary every year for 4 more years, WOW). Exum’s $8M expiring also helps with their salary situation. Giving up a pick that will be around the mid-20’s anyway will significantly improve their chances to win with Embiid and Simmons despite Horford’s contract imo.

What more do you think PHI would want? If they ask for a Simons-Smith swap, I would do that as well.

14. BonesJones

My favorite setup move to the rest of the off-season is still:

SAC Gets: #16
    POR Gets: Bjelica (TPE), #35

Would make the rest of the off-season so much easier by filling the backup 4 spot without using any of the MLE.

Our lineup going into free agency would be:
    Lillard / McCollum
    McCollum / Trent
    Ariza / Hood
    Collins or MLE / Bjelica
    Nurkic / Collins or MLE

Basically we could use the MLE on a starting 4 or a backup 5, with Collins filling the other position. We'd have a set rotation even if we lost Whiteside.

Could also pursue an (unlikely) Ariza for Jerami Grant sign and trade, and if that somehow happened then we could use the MLE on a SF (Harkless?)

Lillard / McCollum
    McCollum / Trent
    Harkless / Hood
    Grant / Bjelica
    Nurkic / Collins

Regardless, I feel like that initial Bjelica move would give us a ton of flexibility going into free agency, would allow us to lose Whiteside and be able to replace him, and would give us three 40% 3pt shooters off the bench.

GriLtCheeZ likes this.
  15. BonesJones

16. LayneStaley

LayneStaley Well-Known Member

Badass
    Fuck Harkless, I like the rest though. I’d like to have Ariza and Grant, not sure it’s possible but...

Dame
    CJ/Trent
    Ariza/Hood
    Grant/WG
    Nurk/Collins

looks decent to me.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
  17. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

Am curious to see what happens with Bjelica. He signed with Philly, then backed out, with the intention of heading back to Europe. Then Sacramento came in with a bigger offer and kept him here. Now, Vlade is gone. I had seen a rumor somewhere that they might not guarantee his contract for next year, which seems ridiculous. But, if thats an option to them, or him, does he go back to europe?

18. BonesJones

It's an option to them and itd be silly for them not too. I think he'd like playing in Portland.

19. BoomChakaLaka

BoomChakaLaka Well-Known Member

Designer / Artist
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico (formerly PDX)
    I’d like to think about this move. Not bad - but I’d keep Randle, especially if we don’t retain Melo and Whiteside

20. damianlillard

damianlillard Well-Known Member

Grant should be our top target. He would improve this team so much and fit with our guys as well. And I initially didn’t like that trade for Bjelica but once you explained why, I say why not lol. He would be huge off of the bench. We would have Trent, Hood, and Bjelica off of the bench lighting other teams up from 3 point land. They’re all literally a 40% 3 point shooter. And with that #35 and our pick we could trade up for a late 1st rounder and get Tre Jones. You got some good ideas

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.