Trade Ideas Thread

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by BonesJones, Apr 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

Aldridge is 35 years old. To give up two 1st round picks in their early 20's imo, is an act of desperation.

2. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

I mean, I can list what Aldridge does as well.

3. Buffalo Custard

Buffalo Custard Well-Known Member

I understand your point, but just because a player was a 1st round pick doesn't mean they are valuable. In this case the best player we would be giving up is Ariza, who is no spring chicken himself.

4. LayneStaley

LayneStaley Well-Known Member

Badass
    Can anyone put a scenario together with our pick, Ariza, and maybe a Simons or Little where we end up with Kelly Oubre and Jerami Grant?

Dame
    CJ/Trent
    Oubre/Hood
    Melo/Grant
    Nurk/Collins

That excites me more than LA. Every one of those guys would be a threat from 3(Maybe not the Centers but they can still hit them), it’s also a slight upgrade on Defense.

Might be underwhelming to most but as a Blazer fan those are the level of realistic upgrades I can see. I’m factoring age into “upgrades” also.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2020
  5. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

Well Grant is likely going to opt out of his contract with the Nuggets because he is making right around the MLE and could probably get more than that in free agency. We will only have the MLE to offer so he's not likely to end up here next season. For Kelly Oubre the contracts can match up pretty well, so if they are like in love with Ant or Nas and wanted cap relief by cutting Ariza and getting probably this year's first rounder and maybe even more picks we could make that happen. I don't know why they would want Ariza for Oubre, it just doesn't make sense to me so I can only see them wanting salary relief and assets. However if they did want some kind of package for Oubre I would be very hesitant because Oubre is on the final year of his current deal and I wouldn't want to give up a bunch of potential for a one year rental. That being said if there were some way to get some assurance (I'm pretty sure it would take tampering) from Oubre that he would sign an extension with us before the season started, then I would love to trade Ariza, Ant, this years first and a couple future seconds for Oubre it would be a good move for the future and not too bad of a move for next season either.

All of that said, if Grant opted out just because he wanted to be in Portland where his dad played and made a lateral movement as far as salary goes by taking the MLE from us then I would definitely start him over Melo... especially because we wouldn't have any money to sign Melo if we signed Grant. I was mostly just saying that if somehow we got those players you have listed up there, I would start Grant over Melo and I (not Stotts) would bring CJ off of the bench and start Gary. Oh and Oubre isn't a better defender than Ariza but he will be a better defender in a couple of years because Trevor will be retired.

LayneStaley likes this.
  6. Cugel

Cugel The epitome of mediocrity

Canvas Repairman
    I shudder to think what NO will do next. He signed Mario and Tolliver for fux sake. I am becoming convinced he will go after Aldridge and Stotts will be forced to start LA and Melo.

7. blazerkor

Dame, CJ, Melo, LA, and Nurk would be the slowest starting lineup in the league.

Cugel and Hoopguru like this.
  8. SharpesTriumph

SharpesTriumph Well-Known Member

Yeah Im concerned as well. Most of the fire Stotts fans seem to be missing the biggest issue with this franchise, that these Blazers rosters the last 5 years are not close to contenders.

Cugel likes this.
  9. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    So... Bucks about to go down 0-2 to a team that's clearly less talented. Everybody's making bets as to where Giannis will end up when he becomes a FA in a year. What if the Bucks decide they can't afford to lose him for nothing, and they worry about him going somewhere like Miami, so he'd be in the same conference. They'd be more likely to ship him off out West to a non-rival.
    Now, the trade partner would have to be like the Raptors with Kawhi, not afraid to gamble that he'd leave in a year. Meanwhile the big teams probably think they can land him as a FA and so would be less inclined to offer much of value in trade.
    What about:
    upload_2020-9-2_21-14-17.png

This is actually a pretty painful trade for the Blazers, as they give up Nurk AND the newly-emerged Trent. And another team might see more potential in Simons and Little (and even Collins) than some Portland fans. But we'd have a year for Dame and CJ to persuade him to stay, and we'd find out if that's a Big 3 that can contend.

A man can dream, can't he?

10. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    Or...

upload_2020-9-2_22-10-25.png

I don't like Bledsoe, so I'm only suggesting this because Milwaukee might want to unload one of their not-so-great contracts along with Giannis. This one leaves us with our young players, especially Trent, though.

RickyJoe and UKRAINEFAN like this.
  11. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

...wut

GDiama and Tince like this.
  12. BonesJones

That's not even close enough to being good enough.

UKRAINEFAN, GDiama and Tince like this.
  13. BonesJones

Ariza cant be traded unless his $12.8M becomes fully guaranteed. So they couldnt trade for Ariza just to cut him and save money.

14. blazerkor

I did not know that. I thought we had a window basically during the draft that we could trade Ariza and the team that got him would still have that option. Where did you find that information?

BonesJones and Tince like this.
  15. BonesJones

Itd be nice if we could! It was a loophole that was closed a couple years ago. JR Smith's contract last year was the last contract that could be traded in that manner since it was signed before that rule got put in place.

blazerkor likes this.
  16. SharpesTriumph

Your proposal makes me realize there's probably just no way to trade for Giannis.... the Blazers need to keep enough talent to contend, but obviously the bucks need a massive haul.

It seems like Giannis would very likely be a one year rental, so again I don't think the Blazers can give up all those players.

Just seems like Milwaukee, if they lose badly, have to hope they do better next year and he stays.

17. HolyBackboard

HolyBackboard 2 Hot 2 Stop It

Dame and Giannis would be enough talent. Hell, the first proposal still has up keeping CJ.

Look at the Lakers, it's LeBron, AD, and a bunch of average players. In the NBA, no matter the era, if you have two of the best in the league, you have the advantage.

18. GDiama

GDiama Well-Known Member

I don't think there is any chance Giannis gets traded this year. It's the Bucks' only chance for a title so what they ll do this summer is look for ways to improve not give up.

19. SharpesTriumph

Those proposals probably aren't enough for MIL but zap a lot of talent from the Blazers.

The Lakers do have a bunch of average talent, but just getting average talent isn't easy. We could end up with a rotation of Hezonjas, Tollivers, and Gabriel's. Those aren't getting a title.

Clippers cast is much better model than Lakers.

You give up maybe one good player for Giannis but 4 picks. Even that is hard for Blazers if it's a one year rental.

Bucks would rather risk Giannis leaves.

There just isn't a way I see to make this feasible even if bucks lose bad and Giannis appears on his way out.

20. HolyBackboard

HolyBackboard 2 Hot 2 Stop It

I think if Dame and Giannis happened in Portland, you would see a lot of Reggie Jackson/Markieff Morris type of players sign with Portland for the minimum and we'd likely be able to get a quality player with the MLE.

PtldPlatypus likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.