Trade Ideas Thread

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by BonesJones, Apr 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Because of the contract difference, and because of BYC rules on sign-and-trades, that could be pretty difficult to swing. It would basically have to be something like re-signed Nurk+Turner+Meyers for Porter+Mahinmi, and I don't see that making sense for the Wiz.

BBert likes this.
  2. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

I'd definitely consider it. Have Collins and Davis as centers.. Harkless off the bench too.

BBert likes this.
  3. BonesJones

Or throw in picks from either team to a 3rd team to dump Turner.

4. PtldPlatypus

Ignoring the bad contract exchange, is Nurk+picks worth Porter?

5. Sarni

Sarni Well-Known Member

It actually makes some sense for Wizards if they really want Nurkic. Mahinmi is just as bad as Meyers and Turner (only $11M or so less expensive) and they could find use for Turner off the bench.

BBert likes this.
  6. Sarni

Sarni Well-Known Member

Well we can't offer Nurkic plus picks.

7. tester551

tester551 Well-Known Member

Since we are in cap hell too, sign & trades are pretty much off the table. It would hard-cap both teams

8. Sarni

Sarni Well-Known Member

Good point.

There should be a movie about the Summer of 2016. It would start with Bismack Biyombo driving his van and getting a call with $70M offer or whatever he received.

9. UKRAINEFAN

UKRAINEFAN Well-Known Member

un-retired
    So, what if Portland matched some team's offer on Nurk (not Washington)? Or if there were no offers and Portland signed him. Could they then immediately include him in a trade? If signed for about $12 million, he could be traded along with Harkless to Washington for Porter, or not?

10. PtldPlatypus

BTW, I assume that everyone is familiar with BYC (base year compensation), but just in case anyone reading this is not, it means that if we wanted to sign/trade Nurkic (and he agreed to it), his incoming value to the receiving team would be the amount of his new salary, but his outgoing salary for us (for salary matching purposes) would only be half of that (or last year's salary, whichever is more). So, for example, if he were being re-signed for $15M, we would only get to count $7.5M going out. To expand, using the Wizards/Porter example.

WIZ out--Porter (26.012M)
    WIZ in--Nurk (15M), Meyers (10.596M)--total 25.596M--MATCH
    POR out--Nurk (7.5M), Meyers (10.596M)--total 18.096M
    POR in--Porter (26.012M)--144% of outgoing--NO MATCH

But if more salaries are included on both sides...

WIZ out--Porter (26.012M), Gortat (13.565M)--total 39.577M
    WIZ in--Nurk (15M), Turner (17.869M), Aminu (6.957M)--total 39.826M--MATCH
    POR out--Nurk (7.5M), Turner (17.869M), Aminu (6.957M)--total 32.326M
    POR in--Porter (26.012M), Gortat (13.565M)--total 39.577M--122.4% of outgoing--MATCH

So long story short, aside from the complication of getting the player and the teams to all agree on S&T, salary matching is also a lot tougher than some might realize.

Wizard Mentor likes this.
  11. PtldPlatypus

Not true--S&T's only cap the team receiving the S&T player; the team sending him out isn't affected.

When a team matches a player's RFA offer sheet, that player cannot be traded for 3 months or until December 15th (January 15th if the team is over the cap after matching), whichever is later. So no, we cannot match and trade.

If there were no offer sheet signed, then yes we could S/T him, subject to the BYC rules I explained above.

12. lamlor

lamlor Well-Known Member

My point, though unclear, wasn't meant what we need or didn't need, but what we could get to help the team advance. Trades and draft picks are our only source of improvement. I think we all can agree that signing vets just isn't a Blazers thing unless they want to drastically overpay for marginal vets putting us right back where we are.

And I do think adding the right rookies could go a long way, but we have to draft way better than we have. Dame was a great pick and CJ was as far as talent goes, but I don't think he ever fit the need and sometimes a fit is more important than just pure talent when picking unless the talent is so great you can make it work. I never liked trading picks to move up to 10 when we needed vast bench improvement which could only come with the draft. I never liked the Collins pick even as a huge Zags fan. Swanigan was a shot in the dark pick at his draft spot, but I think you should always take a shot at an athlete with a lower pick because all my years of high school coaching I always said you could teach an athlete to play basketball but you can't teach a basketball player to be an athlete. NBA is an athletic sport more now than ever. And my use of the word athletic in basketball is different than some who think Pat C is athletic. He had good combine numbers, but watching him on the court shows how marginal of a basketball athlete he really is and I don't care if get is a MLB pitching prospect.

My 2 cents... :)

13. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    Ok, so my last trade suggestion was outrageously in Portland's favor, so, to redress the balance:

[​IMG]

But hear me out: Apparently the rumor is that Luka Doncic might fall out of the top 3, AND NO was in Europe to watch Real Madrid win the Euro-title, and OBVIOUSLY this trade would be Parsons AND MEMPHIS'S #4 pick for CJ.

If you don't like Doncic but think, say, Mo Bamba is the next Rudy Gobert, then you can imagine us taking him instead. Or maybe Michael Porter really is the best player in the draft (as he says) and we take him and hire his old coach Brandon Roy as an assistant...

Added bonus: Dame could never ever shut up about the .9 shot.

tester551 likes this.
  14. CupWizier

CupWizier Well-Known Member

retired
    No, it can't happen that way. If there is no agreement in place for a sign and trade before the deal is consummated then Nurkic can't be traded till 3 months after the deal was made or December 15th (whichever one is later). The sign and trade also has to be completed within 48 hours and if it is rescinded for whatever reason then the contract is null and void and the player is once again a free agent as before.

15. CupWizier

CupWizier Well-Known Member

retired
    can I have some change please as I believe you are overcharging! :bgrin:

16. BonesJones

POR Gets: 21st pick, Tobias Harris, Boban Marjonovic
    LAC Gets: Meyers Leonard, Thabo Sefelosha, 2019 POR 1st, 2019 Best of MIN/LAL 2nds, 2020 POR 2nd
    UTAH Gets: 24th Pick, Al-Farouq Aminu, Jake Layman*

LAC - Can decline Sefelosha's team option and save apx. $13M next year. Leonard and Marjonovic have similar contracts. They also get a 1st and some 2nds.
    UTAH - Moves down 3 spots to swap out the injured Sefelosha (they have a ton of wings) for Aminu. Favors is likely to move on next year, and a 3-and-D PF makes sense in their lineup.
    POR - Gets a legit starting PF on the final year of his contract who's still young. Uses the 21st pick on Hutchison (we move ahead of Chicago so we can take him)

NYK Gets: Evan Turner, Caleb Swanigan, 2021 POR 2nd, 2021 MIA 2nd
    POR Gets: Otto Porter Jr, Courtney Lee*, Lance Thomas
    WAS Gets: Maurice Harkless, 2021 POR 1st,

NYK - Consolidates the two remaining years on Thomas and Lee's contracts (apx. $19M per year) into Turner (apx. $18M per year), a young PF prospect (Porzingas is hurt and Beasley is a FA and was the only backup PF), and 2nd round picks.
    WAS - Saves $14M which allows them to use the full MLE and avoid the luxury tax. Harkless replaces Porter in the lineup and can replace some of his production. Opens up more minutes for Oubre. They also get a 1st round pick.
    POR - Gets a legit starting SF and a backup SG.

Lillard (36) / McCollum (12)
    McCollum (24) / Lee (24)
    Porter Jr. (33) / Hutchison (8) / Harris (7)
    Harris (26) / Collins (22)
    Nurkic (30) / Davis (18)

UKRAINEFAN, PtldPlatypus and dviss1 like this.
  17. BonesJones

@hoopsjock In terms of matching salary in a trade, you can't bring in more than $5M more than you're sending out in a trade if you're over the cap, right? Or is it 125% the whole way?

Basically, could we send out $30M and take back $37M? 125% of $30M is $37.5M.

18. hoopsjock

hoopsjock Well-Known Member

Business Owner
    I'm almost certain they took out the $5 million rule. It is just 125% plus $100,000 so yes we can send out $30 million and take back $37 million.

BonesJones likes this.
  19. BonesJones

I've tried doing some research and can't come to a conclusive conclusion.

20. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

For non-taxpaying teams (again, they must be under the tax level after the trade), the salaries that can be acquired depend on the total salaries the team is trading away:

Non-Taxpaying Teams
    Outgoing salary Maximum incoming salary
    $0 to $6,533,333 175% of the outgoing salary, plus $100,0005
    $6,533,334 to $19.6 million The outgoing salary plus $5 million5
    $19.6 million and up 125% of the outgoing salary, plus $100,000
    Taxpaying teams can take back up to 125% of their outgoing salaries, plus $100,000, no matter how much salary the team is sending away. For example, a taxpaying team trading away $10 million in salaries can acquire one or more replacement players making up to $12.6 million.

Taxpaying Teams
    Outgoing salary Maximum incoming salary
    Any 125% of the outgoing salary, plus $100,000

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.