Trade Ideas Thread

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by BonesJones, Apr 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buffalo Custard

Buffalo Custard Well-Known Member

Ideas from BR, posted for entertainment only. No evidence either proposal has actually been discussed by the teams.

1) Collins and Little to the Cavs for Nance Jr.
    2) Simons to the Knicks for Alec Burkes and a 2021 2nd rd pick.

2. Fez Hammersticks

Fez Hammersticks スーパーバッド Zero Cool

Phone Psychic
    :shitstorm::shitstorm::shitstorm::shitstorm::shitstorm::shitstorm::shitstorm::shitstorm::shitstorm::shitstorm::shitstorm::shitstorm::shitstorm::shitstorm::shitstorm::shitstorm:

GoBlazersGo likes this.
  3. Buffalo Custard

Buffalo Custard Well-Known Member

Ha! At a quick glance, neither deal works under the cap anyway. If it did, adding a good 3pt shooter like Burks for Simons would be a steal - except for the small matter of the Blazers finding $3+ mil in additional salary outgoing!

BonesJones likes this.
  4. perkinsfor3

perkinsfor3 Well-Known Member

Would you trade Zach + Elleby for PJ Tucker?

Alternatively, what good backup PG/SG could we get by trading Zach/Ant? I would love to get a good playmaker/defender to play with both CJ/Dame when theyre staggered.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2020
  5. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

No, why do we need PJ Tucker this season? He would've been great last year but now we have about 11 players his caliber or better.

6. SharpesTriumph

SharpesTriumph Well-Known Member

No and no

Tucker is too old, going to be 36 and poor advanced stats. I prefer all our bigs.

CJ and Ant are the backup PGs. Better player wouldn't be happy with a low minute role. I prefer we play our wings.

7. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

it’s always funny when this gets thrown out there, even by Olshey; as if the idea of CJ (and to a lesser extent Dame) playing fewer minutes isn’t even an option. Playing 37-38 minutes a night is not normal, and shouldn’t be any sort of long term “formula”

If you cut Dames minutes to say around 34-35 and took CJ off the ball completely with the second unit, you’d be able to give an actual point guard a real role. Dame doesn’t need to, or even want to be, on the ball every single minute he’s on the court either.

8. perkinsfor3

perkinsfor3 Well-Known Member

Yeah I think that was a problem the last few seasons. Teams start trapping and doubling Dame early and either way, by the timr we reach the post season, hes exhausted. Having Nurk as a post playmaker helps, and I love Giles playmaking upside, but all the other additions all are extreme examples of players who need to be created for (Kanter, DJJ and Cov). Its also a reason why I was interested in bringing in a guy like Dunn or Rondo, who coulf play next to either Dame or CJ and lock up opposing guards.

TBpup likes this.
  9. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

yeah, it's not some major puzzle to figure out minutes

cut Dame's minutes by 3; CJ's by 5. There's 8 minutes right there. Simons played 21 minutes/game last year. If you had a backup PG like Rondo or George Hill, Simons should just get locked on the bench. You now have 25-28 minutes a game for a good backup PG

obviously it's not going to happen but the notion that a PG of the caliber of Rondo or Hill couldn't find minutes is loony

UKRAINEFAN likes this.
  10. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

So Dame at 35. CJ at 32. Hill at 27. That's, essentially, ALL of the minutes at the 1 and 2. Leaves 2 minutes for Trent at the 2.

Covington 31 minutes at the 4, and let's say DJJ gets 28 at SF. That's 39 minutes for Hood, Trent, Carmelo. Trent got 21 a game last year, and deserves at least that this season. So 18 minutes for Hood, Carmelo, Collins and Giles.

I'd prefer versatile wing rotation getting heavier minutes than adding someone like Hill who really isn't much more of a distributor than CJ is. He's a PG you play alongside a playmaking other guard or wing.

I just don't see the huge need and desire for the backup PG a lot of others do, I suppose.

11. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

i dont see the need for talk of much of anything for the moment. This team is super deep with crazy potential.
    Lets not be hasty. Lets bake and see what holes arise thst need to be filled.
    This team is not like the team of years past and that alone may minimize some things we have had concerns about, even if we didn't see a clear direct move that addressed a specific issue.

trade talks should be frozen for now until 20 games in and we see what we have aNd who is available out there.

we have to remember we had three starters not playing.
    Collins and Hood may not start anymore, but they were our starters preinjury.

we are soo crazy deep with so much flexibility

i dont see how anyone can accurately pinpoint a weakness without some study of this team as a whole over the next handful of games.

This thread should be locked until a hole is clear. Lol.

blazerkor likes this.
  12. boredinsalem

boredinsalem Well-Known Member

Rubio is the guy I think would fit perfectly with Dame/CJ as a 24 minutes a game type of guy, not enough minutes for Trent though.

13. Fez Hammersticks

Phone Psychic
    We must rescue Knox from New Yawk.

14. Fez Hammersticks

Phone Psychic
    To Orlando:
    McCollum
    Little

To Portland:
    Gordon
    Fultz
    Bamba

Basic framework

Last edited: Dec 12, 2020
    TBpup likes this.
  15. pougie

pougie Active Member

Don’t necessarily agree with the players coming back to us, but ORL is an interesting landing spot for McCollum. While Bamba is an intriguing player, he doesn’t help the team win right now. Any trade package that sends CJ to Orlando has to start with Jonathan Isaac. Not sure what the intrigue is about with Gordon. Isaac is the only one on ORL that can help us right now and is still developing, the injury history might make it easier to get rid him, especially when Chuma Okeke being another young wing is one they’re high on. They would be one of the few teams that desperately need a CJ-kind of player too. One trade I would be interested in:

To Portland: Isaac, Rozier, top-10 protected ORL 1st, CHA 2nd

To Orlando: CJ, Collins

To Charlotte: Gordon, Bamba

If Gary continues to play at this level with consistency, the writing will be on the wall. If Isaac rehabs well, I don’t see how he doesn’t start at the 4 immediately and locks in that position on the Blazers for at least through Dame’s prime. With George re-signed and a less-than-likely chance that a Kawhi/Giannis signs with us, we might have to take a chance on a guy like Isaac and hope he develops into that elite wing.

Lillard/Rozier/Simons
    Trent/Hood/Elleby
    Covington/Jones/Little
    Isaac/Melo
    Nurkic/Kanter/Giles

TBpup likes this.
  16. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

I wasn't saying that Portland should have signed a backup PG this season, instead of Jones (but they could have in past years). I was just disagreeing with the idea there would not be enough minutes for a high caliber backup PG

17. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

Lmao why would they do that

PtldPlatypus likes this.
  18. SharpesTriumph

Rondo got 14 million, we only had one MLE. So you are saying it'd be better to have a 3rd string PG than a starting forward?

Simons minutes last year arent necessarily available this year, your talking about this years roster, adding a PG on this roster would take Trent, Hood, or forward minutes. Id rather we have a bigger guard who can defend.

I'm all for reducing DameCJ minutes but that can be done with the current roster. There may already be a minutes crunch.

Finally the caliber of PG isn't only Olshey decision, the player has to be interested in a Portland opportunity as well. A team with DameCJ is literally the worst opportunity for playing time of 30 NBA teams. A good NBA PG will target teams there's at least a chance of a larger role if they play great.

I'm all for using the last two way spot on a PG. There just isn't a role beyond 3rd or 4th string that makes sense.

19. SharpesTriumph

Ricky Rubio is making $16million. He'd be our third highest paid player after Dame and CJ.

These "we need a PG" arguments are ridiculous.

blazerkor likes this.
  20. SharpesTriumph

What a terrible idea.

Sure if the team didn't bring in starting forwards and instead brought in a big minute 3rd string PG they could be forced to play all 3 PG extended stretches since there would be no better options, yes then there would be "minutes available" for another PG.

I'm glad instead we upgraded the starting forwards, especially defensively.

This "we need a PG" crowd is ludicrous. Its literally the only single position we've had no need on this roster for 8 years. We have this guy called Damian Lillard.

blazerkor likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.