Trade Ideas Thread

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by BonesJones, Apr 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

we've gone over this ad nauseum. I prefer Simmons to Green as well. I'm just conveying the Blazers' possible thought process given how frequently he brings up Draymond.

blazerkor likes this.
  2. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Quick says Portland is interested in Simmons in a one for one swap aka CJ. The better bet is another deal at the deadline tho.

glazeduck, Wizard Mentor and RR7 like this.
  3. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

Where did he say that? Not questioning you, just curious.

4. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

RR7 likes this.
  5. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

I agree, because the best lineup(s) after a CJ for Simmons trade includes RoCo as the SF

Dame-Powell-RoCo-Simmons-Nurkic or Dame-Powell-RoCo-Nance-Simmons. Plugging in Nas or Snell into the SF position defeats the purpose of the trade. And I don't believe Nance would be good as the starting SF

Buffalo Custard likes this.
  6. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

Obviously Simmons can defend the three so if the CJ and RoCo for Simmons and filler trade went down we could still easily start Dame, Powell, Simmons, Nance and Nurk but obviously we keep RoCo and our depth if we just trade CJ and probably draft considerations after taking the protection off the 2022 first.

7. tykendo

tykendo Don't Tread On PDX

Including RoCo in a deal for Simmons is foolish. It's 1 step forward, 2 back. And it affects the depth of the bench. I want Neil to re-sign RoCo for the long term.

8. GDiama

GDiama Well-Known Member

Yeah better add an extra pick than RoCo. At this point we should gamble on CJ being the best available option for Philla. I don't think there is anyone better available out there for what they need.

blazerkor likes this.
  9. blazerkor

At this point I would offer CJ a 2023 swap, a 2025 swap and both our 2024 and our 2026 first rounders.

We end up with Dame, Norm, RoCo, Simmons, Nurk, Nance, Ant, Nas, Snell and Zeller being a ten man rotation where everyone can legitimately play meaningful minutes.

RR7 likes this.
  10. SharpesTriumph

SharpesTriumph Well-Known Member

Seems like Philly would rather wait until trade restrictions are lifted in December or January, as well as the possibility an allstar becomes available.

Hoopguru likes this.
  11. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

It’s probably been posted but Woj was on whatever this show is called about a week ago and listed Portland as one of the few teams talking to Philly about Simmons. Interesting. Starts around 1:35. He also mentions that a lot of the scenarios are three, four team deals. I doubt that includes Portland since I do believe Quicks report that they’d only be interested in a straight up deal for CJ. Morey just needs to admit he’s not getting a better player (that fits their timeline) than McCollum.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
  12. blazerkor

I do think we could be involved in a multi team deal that sends CJ out and brings in a better fitting forward from a team other than the Sixers (for me hopefully not Dray). So we could still get a one for one deal in a Simmons deal that doesn't net us Simmons.

That being said, Morey should wake up and realize how good CJ would be for that team. CJ, Thybulle or Milton, Green, Harris and Embiid is scary good, with Seth, whoever isn't starting between Milton and Thybulle, Korkmaz, Maxie, Niang and Drummond off the bench. That team is more competitive than last year's, if CJ plays like he has in the past when he's been the lead guard.

13. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

14. Buffalo Custard

Buffalo Custard Well-Known Member

On offense, a CJ/Embiid pairing is at least as effective as CJ/Dame and better than Simmons/Embiid. Morey needs to stop worrying about getting the biggest possible name, and recognize that a CJ deal is almost zero risk for the 6ers. (they have enough other good defenders to cover for CJ)

On the flip side, Olshey needs to recognize that the risk in this deal is almost 100% on our end and stand firm on CJ and (maybe) 2 picks. Why should we bail Morey out by over-paying? It's pretty obvious nobody else has made him a better offer.

blazerkor likes this.
  15. Buffalo Custard

Bingo. This deal won't make the Blazers better on offense, so the focus needs to be on what it can do to improve our defense. Including RoCo in the deal defeats that purpose. In fact, RoCo would be the 2nd to last guy you would include in the deal! (Dame is obviously still #1)

16. wizenheimer

have we ever heard any report or rumor that Olshey has even offered CJ for Simmons? I know that's the assumption by many but I can't recall anything other than Portland might be interested in a one-for-one deal

17. Buffalo Custard

Hoopguru likes this.
  18. Buffalo Custard

All trade discussion is just an intellectual exercise until the deal actually happens.

19. blazerkor

No but the thing Olshey is best at is controlling the information coming out of his front office. So I would actually think it was a smokescreen if there was a sourced rumor about CJ to the Sixers.

Unless of course you count Stephen A.'s BS from last week. Which when I listened to it didn't sound as stupid; it seemed like he wasn't saying that we were offering CJ, RoCo and two first rounders for Simmons but just that those assets had all been made available in one package or another.

20. wizenheimer

sure

I guess I'm wondering since in the last 4 years, Paul George Jimmy Butler, Kawhi, & Harden have all been traded, and the only thing we've heard is that CJ was not available for at least 2 of them; implying he likely wasn't available for the other two. I'd wonder why that has changed with Simmons

Buffalo Custard likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.