Trade Ideas Thread

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by BonesJones, Apr 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tykendo

tykendo Don't Tread On PDX

He'd probably have another burger.

HomerLovesKoolAid likes this.
  2. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

I know you said wouldn't so this is just a bit redundant but of course I would. We need to trade Nurk as it is but would have to trade him if we got KP, which is fine. Porzingis despite his injury history is much more athletic than Nurk, he puts the ball on the deck better, he obviously shoots a lot better and I don't think we actually take a downgrade in paint protection. He's also 26.

So yeah CJ for KP is a no brainer for us and I think it would have some intrigue on their side too. The Mavs and Kidd specifically would have to believe that they could get CJ to stop pounding the air out of the rock so much and make quick decisions when he gets the ball on whether to put up a shot from where he gets it, pass it, drive and then pull up, take it a bit further for a floater, take it all the way for a layup or finish the drive with a kick out but I could see the Mavs just like a bunch of other teams believing they could get CJ to do that. I think it's a lot harder for teams to just pass on a guy that can do all of the things CJ is capable of on offense.

I still just don't think the trade market had ever been actually gauged realistically by Neil before and am very hopeful that it is being gauged now. Hell, there might be deals on the table that Cronin would already take and he's just waiting to see if a better one materializes or he's just waiting for CJ to get back on the court for the other team to feel comfortable pulling the trigger.

BoomChakaLaka likes this.
  3. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

KP is a huge liability in the playoffs when teams can game plan against him. And it would be near impossible to fit him and Nurk together. There was a bubble game where Dame dropped 60 on the Mavs largely by putting KP in the pick and roll every possession.

Just unfortunate we couldnt exploit him last night

RR7 likes this.
  4. blazerkor

It was fucking bullshit that the Mavs allowed us to isolate KP on Dame so many times. Of course a 7'3" guy who has lost some mobility due to knee injuries isn't going to be able to guard Dame one on one away from the hoop. It was asinine for them not to automatically run a second defender over to make sure that Dame didn't have the free pass that he would have against any legit seven footer in the league in an iso situation (unless you consider Ben Simmons and Giannis seven footers). It would be like saying that Nurk is a huge liability defensively in the playoffs because we can't let him take Steph one on one out on the perimeter only Nurk is a far bigger liability out there without help because he's far less mobile and athletic than KP.

Of course if we traded for KP we would have to trade Nurk, we pretty much have to trade Nurk anyway. The dude is too mercurial and that same unpredictability that we see game in and game out makes him a real wildcard this off season and we can't let him just walk because he does have trade value around the league despite the fact that he would get toasted worse than Porzingis isolated against Dame on the perimeter.

Idog1976 likes this.
  5. BoomChakaLaka

BoomChakaLaka Well-Known Member

Designer / Artist
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico (formerly PDX)
    Nurk for Porzingis- straight up

6. blazerkor

The Mavs laugh at that- straight up. Also their salaries are about 13M apart from being able to be traded for each other straight up.

Hoopguru likes this.
  7. Shaboid

Shaboid Well-Known Member

Could you do Nurk and Roco?

8. illmatic99

that does nothing to help our size issues on the wings.

any trade scenario has to get cj/norm/ant out.

RR7 likes this.
  9. Shaboid

Shaboid Well-Known Member

I agree. That would be a separate trade.

10. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

How about CJ and Nurk for Porzingis and Finney Smith?

11. blazerkor

That barely doesn't work, we're still around 330k short of that trade working under the CBA. So Nurk, RoCo and a min salary guy that the Mavs could waive would work.

12. blazerkor

I don't know about Dallas but that trade would make me happy.

13. illmatic99

finney smith is not that good. like a fringe starter.

14. blazerkor

Not "any trade scenario has to get cj/norm/ant out." That being said, we have to get CJ out of here. You can't play CJ and Dame together it's not very functional offensively and defensively it's an absolute disaster. Bringing CJ off of the bench for the 12-15 minutes a game that Dame doesn't play does not make sense either because the dude makes 30M this season and it just goes up from there for the following two seasons... fucking Olshey.

You are right though, CJ has to go and you seriously have to shop Norm and/or Ant. You're also absolutely correct that we have to get some length on the wings. Although, I think if we ended up with Dame, Norm, Nas, Simmons, Porzingis, Larry, Ant, Tony and Cody as our rotation, we would be much better than we are right now. Hell even if you had to include trading Ant to make that happen and put DSJ in Ant's place in the rotation we would still be a lot better than we are currently and we'd be set up much better going forward.

15. blazerkor

I don't disagree with that but he is also like a fringe starter or in other words a really solid rotation player who plays relentless defense and brings the same energy to rebounding and hits the three at a really efficient rate. He would challenge Nas for minutes and the two would be really good forwards in our rotation. Also you want length at the wings and he's 6'8" with a 6'11" wingspan.

16. Freshtown

Freshtown Well-Known Member

Hollinger said recently on his podcast that he talked to several GMs recently and none are focused on trades because signing g leaguers to deal with the Covid situation is top priority.

17. tykendo

It's funny how we're getting excited about trading for Poor Ol' Zingus after he torched us due to the fact we had no Nurk, RoCo, or Zellar to guard him. Yes, he had a great game, but he was playing a bunch of smurfs size wise. He's a very gifted offensive player, but i could see Turner/LeVert , Sabonis, or Simmons being more beneficial to this team.

GriLtCheeZ and blazerkor like this.
  18. tykendo

That's kinda what i figured. But that sucks. The time to make trades is NOW!

19. tykendo

And with the scaling back of Vaxed players time in the protocol, hopefully these vaxed players will be rejoining their teams sooner than the previous time dictated.

20. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Feel like coming up with a list of targets is a lot easier than with specific proposals. So these are my targets, trying to keep fantasy out of it.

F
    Pascal Siakam
    Jerami Grant
    Ben Simmons
    Domantas Sabonis
    Cam Reddish
    DeAndre Hunter
    Kyle Anderson
    Kenrich Williams
    Lu Dort
    Herb Jones
    Isaac Okoro
    Jared Vanderbilt
    Georges Niang
    Jae’Sean Tate

C
    Isaiah Hartenstein
    Mitchell Robinson
    Nerlens Noel
    Robert Williams
    Ivica Zubac
    Richaun Holmes

PG
    I don’t see any backup point that’s worth giving up assets for thats also much better than DSJ. His assist percentage is in the top 35, and he also defends. I think he needs to go back into the rotation. It’s very clear by now that Simons isn’t and probably never will be a point guard. Marcus Smart is probably the only external name I can think of.
    ——

Now obviously not all these dudes are available, but I thought I’d put a list together of players that could possibly be had that I would also like. There’s a common theme with most of them..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.