Trade Ideas Thread

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by BonesJones, Apr 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

His defense improved as well.

So he hasn't improved that much even though his defense, passing, and 3pt shooting notably improved?

I wouldn't do that 1st trade, but the 2nd one is a great deal for us and Charlotte.

Last edited: May 5, 2018
  2. hoopsjock

hoopsjock Well-Known Member

Business Owner
    We'd use the TPE for Bayless because Philly has the 10th, 26th, 38th, 39th, 56th, and 60th picks in the draft plus all their own future picks and several good future 2nd round picks from other teams. We need draft capital to move up in the draft to get a difference maker or multiple chances to hit a home run with lower picks. Bayless can take Napier's spot for a year as insurance while we give Baldwin heavy minutes. It would also be better to have an actual expiring contract to use at the trade deadline instead of ones that are still a summer away from being expiring.

BonesJones likes this.
  3. BonesJones

Exactly.

4. hoopsjock

Business Owner
    I think you meant 3pt shooting because his 2pt shooting went down. Like I said, it's hard to tell if it was an outlier year or not. Harkless shot 41.5% this year. I'd be ecstatic if he was really that good but we won't know until next year. The passing wasn't significant enough to say it was really that much of an improvement. Defensively, even if slightly improved is still not great. He's a career backup SG who isn't a great shooter.

Aminu is better than Lamb. I'd rather just wait out Turner and Leonard's contracts than move down in the draft (once again the Hawks would never ever do this trade) and have to take salary back. I'm all for possibly trading bad contracts for bad contracts but I don't want to give up picks to do so either.

5. hoopsjock

Business Owner
    I used to really like Lamb but I've just kind of given up on him.

6. BonesJones

Yes, I meant 3pt shooting. I don't think it's a fluke. His shot is smooth, he's been an 84% 3pt shooter, had years of 34 & 35%.. His passing improved yet you're discounting. Ast rate increased by 50%... If he doesn't pan out he's a free agent and oh well. He was an above average defender last year, 7'0 wingspan at 6'5.

He'd be a much better option than Pat or Bazz. That I have no doubt about. So if you can think of a better backup guard that can defend, shoot, and attack the rim, that is actually acquireable, lemme know.

The Hawks would do this... they need big man depth, Plumlee is a worse contract than Leonard so they save money next year... they could send Aminu elsewhere (LAC TPE?) and save money this year too. Plus an early 2nd next year (LAL)?

Aminu is better than Lamb? Ehhh. We replace Aminu with the better Marvin Williams so I don't know why you're viewing it as an Aminu vs. Lamb scemario.

7. BonesJones

Yeah, that's obvious, because you don't even want to credit his improvement.

8. riverman

riverman Writing Team

They took Wes....big risk

9. CupWizier

CupWizier Well-Known Member

retired
    I would pass as we would be in luxury tax hell for maybe one or two second round picks.

BonesJones likes this.
  10. hoopsjock

Business Owner
    Look, I get why he should be good but it hasn't translated to much in the NBA so far in 6 seasons. I'm not discrediting his improvement in passing I just feel like assists don't always tell the whole story. Like Dame could absolutely average double digit assists if he had better finishers. I just don't think he is good enough to warrant taking on Williams and Plumlee. If we are going to take on those kind of contracts I'd rather it be for Noah or Deng or as mentioned above Bayless who are going to help us improve draft position not decrease it.

Honestly, I'd rather just give the minutes to Baldwin and Hutchinson (or whoever we take) to develop them as it is way more likely (although still a long shot either way) that Baldwin turns into a stud than Lamb. I already mentioned Jeremy Lin as he could run an offense a little more effectively than Lamb as opposed to just scoring. I wouldn't really have a problem with acquiring Lamb. I doubt he'd be that tough to get. I just don't think that roster at about $137 million is that much better than the team this year plus we'd have a worse pick. If Atlanta got something for Aminu, I'd rather it be us that got something for him too.

11. BonesJones

Taking on Williams? Williams is still a very good and very underrated player. He's a better version of Aminu. He shot 41% from 3pt last year, with a 60TS% and good defense. If we want to give minutes to Baldwin or a rookie, I'd say bench Turner then. Add Lamb, as he can play SG and SF much better than Turner can and gives us the multi-dimensional scorer/ball-handler we need, and then play the young guys instead of ET. I think we're 3-4 wins better, and if Williams and Harkless shoot like they did last year (both at 41%), we'd have the pieces to consistently make teams pay for loaded up on our guards. If Collins developed into a 36%+ 3pt shooter next year as well, we'd be set.

UKRAINEFAN likes this.
  12. BonesJones

I would think about doing 24 and a future 2nd for 26 and 39. That'd be solid.

But if we're gonna take on Bayless, I want #10. Maybe #24 and our 2019 1st for Bayless and #10 could work, but I doubt it.

13. CupWizier

CupWizier Well-Known Member

retired
    Well, I don't see them giving up 10 and 2nd round picks really aren't that valuable compared to taking on nearly 9mil more plus the luxury tax cost. There are other players in Leonard' range that we might be able to entice. Ross, Dudley, Koufus, are just a few.

14. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

Ok I should have asked it like this: Do you guys think we could get Kristaps Porziņģis offering up Zack Collins and Moe Harkless? The Knicks where rumored to have a lot of interest last season.

15. BonesJones

No. Do you think the Knicks could get Damian Lillard for Frank Ntilikina and Courtney Lee...?

hoopsjock likes this.
  16. hoopsjock

Business Owner
    How is that any better? What part of there is no chance at all of them trading Porzingis let alone for that do you not understand?

BonesJones likes this.
  17. BonesJones

So some Blazer fans have been tossing around the idea of CJ+24 for Love+8.

I'd try this hybrid version with Cleveland:

POR Gets: Kevin Love, George Hill, 8th Pick
    CLE Gets: C.J. McCollum, Al-Farouq Aminu, Maurice Harkless, 24th Pick

I think that's a little better for them, and would get us closer to a deal.

I'd draft Mikal Bridges at 8, then I'd offer the Knicks a package of Turner, Swanigan (TPE) and our 2019 1st for Courtney Lee and Damyeon Dotson

Lillard / Hill
    Lee / Hill
    Bridges / FA?
    Love / Collins
    Nurkic / Davis

Now I'm gonna turn it into a super-pipe-dream. Lets say we resign Davis and Nurkic for a combined $22M a year... In the off-season of 2019 we'd have:
    Lillard $29M
    Love $26M
    Nurkic+Davis $22M
    Lee $13M
    Leonard $11M
    Collins $4M
    Bridges $3M
    Minimum Contracts: $4M total
    Total Salary: $112M

We could then hypothetically try to pitch Klay Thompson. Klay grew up here with Kevin Love, who he was great friends with. Golden State might not be able to afford everyone, and Klay seems like the type to possibly leave. If we landed him, we could offer Golden State the expiring contracts of Lee (who could replace Thompson as a 3-and-D shooter in the starting lineup), Leonard (who might actually be a good fit for them as a 3pt shooting C), minimum contracts, as well as our 2020 and 2022 1sts. If they wanted more for helping us, we could give up a 2024 1st as well. We'd be at around $118M in salary. Assuming the tax-line is $123M, we could try to bring back George Hill on a small contract.

Lillard / Hill
    Thompson / Hill
    Bridges / FA?
    Love / Collins
    Nurkic / Davis

I dunno... I think that acquiring Love and then trying to somehow go after Klay Thompson in 2019 might be the move.

18. Labinot41

Labinot41 Well-Known Member

The only GM in the League who could do this is Danny Ainge, but Olshey? Never ever

19. BonesJones

POR Gets: Miles Plumlee, 30th Pick, 33rd Pick
    ATL Gets: Evan Turner 24th Pick, Future 2nd

OR

POR Gets: 19th Pick, Miles Plumlee
    ATL Gets: 24th Pick, Future 2nd, Meyers Leonard

20. Sarni

Sarni Well-Known Member

Why would Cleveland give Love and a very high pick in a top heavy draft for a player who doesn’t even fit them that well and a much lower pick?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.