Trade Ideas Thread

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by BonesJones, Apr 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

Here's a trade that needs to happen:

Jamal Murray, Paul Millsap, Wilson Chandler, Darrell Arthur and the 14th pick for DeMar Derozen and Lowry.

Denver's been trying to get over the hump, and I this would make them much better. Murray is Canadian and would give the Raptors a homegrown talent:

Lowry / ?
    Harris / Barton
    Derozen / Barton
    Lyles / Faried
    Jokic / Plumlee

Wright / Vanfleet
    Murray / ?
    Anunoby / ?
    Millsap / Ibaka
    Valancuinas / Poeltl

2. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

620AM afternoon guys are talking about Blake Griffin. Saying the Griffin trade is basically the reason Van Gundy was fired, then following that up saying the Blazers should explore trading for him. Turner/Aminu for Blake saves Detroit a boatload of money. Clearly that's not equal value, but considering how much BG is owed, that might be worth it for them anyway. Considering his injury history and defensive deficiencies, would there be any point in a deal like that?

Wizard Mentor likes this.
  3. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

Even Turner and Mo Harkless for Blake Griffin works.

4. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

It does, but if Detroit were interested in any kind of deal like this, it would be strictly a cost-cutting measure. Since Harkless makes more with one more year, I think it's fair to assume that Aminu would be the more desirable piece to them.

5. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Griffin for Turner, Aminu, and our pick? I’d get behind that in a vacuum the only problem is Zach will be ready for heavy minutes before Blake’s contract runs out. Then again Zach and Blake are so athletic they could probably play with each other.

But this is fun to think about

Dame
    CJ
    Harkless
    Griffin
    Nurkic

Tellem is close with Olshey and Olshey is tight with Blake, so if they’re looking to dump him, Portland could definitely be a team to watch.

Wizard Mentor and AFully22 like this.
  6. BigGameDamian

7. AFully22

AFully22 Well-Known Member

If the new GM in Detroit is willing to punt on the Blake Griffin situation, as he should, than I wouldn’t be suprised if we were one of the first calls he receives. Plus a Collins and Griffin front court is pretty ideal for today’s NBA and that doesn’t mean you don’t resign Nurkic either.

Landing Griffin for something similar to what you proposed, resigning Nurk, letting Collins develop and see how he fits next to Griffin, and then use Nurk later in a deal that brings in a better option at the 3 is a pretty good plan to building a contending roster.

I would be suprised if Griffin was dealt before the deadline though, if at all.

8. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

I would TOTALLY make that trade!!

Labinot41 and Wizard Mentor like this.
  9. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Just let Harkless develop, I doubt we’re gonna find anyone that’s so much better that’d make giving up another asset worthwhile. If we made this theoretical trade, we’d be pretty set. We could use the MLE to sign someone like Ellington or Hezonja. Then sign a Vince Carter for the minimum to round out the team.

Dame
    CJ
    Harkless
    Griffin
    Nurkic

Baldwin
    CJ
    Ellington/Hezonja
    Collins
    Davis

I honestly love that.

10. hoopsjock

hoopsjock Well-Known Member

Business Owner
    For those that didn't watch the video the proposed trade was:

CJ to Indy
    For
    Myles Turner, Al Jefferson, and Darren Collison

He says we could probably get their 1st round pick too in the deal #23.

I think this is a horrible trade for Portland mainly because Myles Turner had a bit of a down year. Really the only positive is it does clear up a lot of salary issues. The creator of the video fails to mention both Al Jefferson and Darren Collison have non-guaranteed contracts next year so we could cut them and only owe a small percentage of their contract next year.

I would maybe consider this if we added a 2nd part to this trade that had trading the non-guaranteed contracts of Collison and Jefferson to the Lakers for Luol Deng, Josh Hart, and their 2019 1st round pick unprotected.

Then try to move up in the draft using 23, 24, our 2019 1st, and/or the Lakers 2019 1st.

BonesJones and RR7 like this.
  11. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

I’m all aboard the Blake griffin train, guys choo choo.

I really think there’s a deal to be made there and the relationship between tellem and Olshey and Olshey and Blake makes me think it’s something that could happen. Only question is Detroit’s position on Griffin. Personally, I think they’d look to dump him. I mean why not? They’re not close to contending and his contract is an anchor. They also don’t have a first round pick.

Last edited: May 8, 2018
  12. AFully22

I would love that too, I just have seen enough from Harkless to think he won’t ever consistently be “good Harkless” and would like to have a better shooter at the 3 with that lineup. But that’s a move that would be considered in another year once you evaluate the roster with the addition of Griffin.

13. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

True.

Man this scenario is almost too good to be true. Detroit doesn’t have a first round pick and Blake’s contract is an anchor for a team that isn’t contending anytime soon. We toss em our pick, and let them get out of Blake’s contract. Shit, toss in Swanigan too. Let’s go.

14. AFully22

The only problem I see is there’s probably a lot of teams who would be willing to send a similar package for Griffin with possibly a better draft pick.

15. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

Blake's got 141 million dollars owed to him over the next 4 seasons, seasons he'll end aged 30,31,32,33. He's played in 67,35,61 and 58 games the past 4 seasons. Has an athletically based game. I don't think there'd be too many teams willing to take on that financial commitment with a much better offer.

Wizard Mentor and hoopsjock like this.
  16. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

How many playoff type squads are there with A) a need for a PF B) the salary needed to match and C) provide the relief Detroit wants.

17. AFully22

I don’t think there would be too many teams willing to make that commitment either, but I also don’t think we would be the only one and chances are the other teams that would be willing probably have a higher pick than us in the first rd.

18. BigGameDamian

Just letting players develope is what the Blazers are best at anyways.

Labinot41 likes this.
  19. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

I don’t think teams picking above us (aka non playoff sides) would be interested in Griffin. I really think Portland would be the best fit. Not only could we use a go to big, but his style fits our system/needs. He can shoot, he can run the court, and maybe most importantly, he can pass.

20. AFully22

You might be right. But there’s almost always a deal offered from some team that usually suprises. OKC for example could get Melo to opt in and get him to waive his NTC so he could go back to playing the 3 for an eastern conference team closer to home. They could then offer their slightly better pick and get almost all of that money off the books after next year.

Edit: I forgot OKC doesn’t have their pick this year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.