Trade Ideas

Discussion in 'Boston Celtics' started by hagrid, May 15, 2004.

1. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    What do you fans in Boston think about Ainge's transactions?

2. hagrid

hagrid JBB JustBBall Member

OK, Devil's Advocate [​IMG] :

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Walker's contract would have been up after this season and Delk's after next. if Ainge had just taken a season with Walker right now the Celtics would have a great situation right now </div>

With all due respect to DA's thinking, Walker goes that route, we get NOTHING for him. He just walks.

If Lafrentz doesn't work out, he's still going to be worth something to someone, particularly in the later years of his contract. He can always be packaged with another expiring contract and draft pick, OR he can be left on the unprotected list, with a draft pick <font color="DarkRed"><font size="1">(wink wink, Charlotte)</font></font> and then taken off the books that way. Charlotte could just take him and cut him, should they not want his big cap numbers, with only 2/3 cap space this season.

Either way, moving Walker, <font color="DarkRed"><font size="1">(who sadly didn't seem to be with the team concept of putting the teams needs in front of his own, which saddens me)</font></font>wasn't willing to accept what you wanted him to take in salary, plus has already heard on international broadcasts, that you don't think highly of his talent, is only going to be a stumbling block on the road you see as progress, then you have to move him.

Jiri was a pleasant surprise in this, but DA reportedly begged his way into his inclusion and thus far, it looks like he pegged a decent player.

3. Trip

Student
    No matter how good Jiri is turning out to be, wouldn't the Celtics have been better off with Walker this season? Letting him walk away is also not a bad move. FA's are always possible to attain and sign-and-trades are not out of the question. Boston can then build around Pierce, instead of the salary mess they have now.

4. hagrid

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Trip:</div><div class="quote_post">Letting him walk away is also not a bad move. FA's are always possible to attain and sign-and-trades are not out of the question. Boston can then build around Pierce, instead of the salary mess they have now.</div>

Actually, with Baker's and Stewarts salary on the books, we would have been screwed on the salary cap anyways. Trading Walkers for LaFrentz's was no big deal. The talent traded and how much they contributed to thier respective new teams, was certainly lopsided this season, but from a longer standpoint it was an alright move, because it was a wash in an already bad salary situation and it got a potentially disruptive element away from the team.

5. BC

BC JBB JustBBall Member

With the weak East this season, if Walker had stayed the Celtics could have gotten the four or five seed and possibly made the second round. Then if they let Walker walk Ainge could have tried to sign any of the FA's I mentioned. They could rebuild while staying in the playoffs.

6. hagrid

What I just tried to explain was that even if Walker just walked away and we lost his numbers off the books, we still wouldn't have had the space to be a major player in the FA market.

Unless you read contract issues differently than I do?

7. BC

BC JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting hagrid:</div><div class="quote_post">What I just tried to explain was that even if Walker just walked away and we lost his numbers off the books, we still wouldn't have had the space to be a major player in the FA market.

Unless you read contract issues differently than I do?</div>

I've never really understood how NBA's salary cap system works. How would the Celtics not gain cap space trading away Walker's huge salary

8. hagrid

<u>Team 03/04 committed</u>

<font color="DarkGreen">Boston </font> $56,415,581

By my understanding, whether it's Raef's 14 mil or (whatever) 10-14 mill we were paying Walker, we're still 12 mill over the cap next year. Removing the salary still leaves us right at or still over the cap.

9. Van Exel

Van Exel JBB JustBBall Member

I'm not really gunna propose a trade. I just think that Pierce needs that partner just like Antione, to have a shot at the title. Someone that can take some of the pressure off him.

10. Trip

Student
    <div class="quote_poster">Quoting Van Exel:</div><div class="quote_post">I'm not really gunna propose a trade. I just think that Pierce needs that partner just like Antione, to have a shot at the title. Someone that can take some of the pressure off him.</div>
    Boston can get that through the draft or trade. The draft, where the Celtics are taking, might not contain any players of Antoine's calibur.

11. Van Exel

Van Exel JBB JustBBall Member

How about Ricky Davis for Rip Hamilton? I really like Rip's style alot. I think he's a good match with Pierce.

12. twool913

twool913 JBB JustBBall Member

i have to say, that won't ever happen. Atleast i hope it doesn't, for the pistons sake. Rip is basically, the perfect player for their team basketball. Ricky Davis just doesn't fit they're style of basketball. He has also become a nice fit for the C's. Also rip is a shooting gaurd straight up, not a PG, and pierce is a SG as well, and IMO pierce isn't tall enough to be a SF, but maybe they could work out, but this wouldn't happen.

13. hagrid

Well, I think PP is perfect as a 3, but I understand your concern. PP has a great post up game, which could allow him to move to the 3 and let RD (or whoever) have more time at 2.

I'm not crazy about bringing in Rip, to be honest. He's a good player, just don't want to see him on the C's.

14. Trip

Student
    <div class="quote_poster">Quoting hagrid:</div><div class="quote_post">I'm not crazy about bringing in Rip, to be honest. He's a good player, just don't want to see him on the C's.</div>

Why? I personally would like to see Rip in Boston. Him and Pierce could form a Jordan/Pippen or Dumars/Thomas combo. However, that will not bring the C's the championship, but their playoffs spot would be etched in stone for years to come.

Boston would have to give up more to get Rip though. Davis is not of his calibre.

15. BC

BC JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Trip:</div><div class="quote_post">Why? I personally would like to see Rip in Boston. Him and Pierce could form a Jordan/Pippen or Dumars/Thomas combo. However, that will not bring the C's the championship, but their playoffs spot would be etched in stone for years to come.

Boston would have to give up more to get Rip though. Davis is not of his calibre.</div>

I couldn't ever see Pierce forming an outstanding combo with a guard likje Hamilton. The way Pierce plays with his post ups he is best with a great three point set shooter. Not someone who shoots best off the dribble and coming off screens like Hamilton. I think Davis is a better fit for Ainge's style too. Ainge wants to run and Davis is great on the fast break.

16. hagrid

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">However, that will not bring the C's the championship, but their playoffs spot would be etched in stone for years to come. </div>

And therein lies the issue that most Celtic fans have: We could have just kept the team the way it was last year and kept making the playoffs every year.

We want Championships, not meaning less playoff births with no hope of winning it all.

The ride is going to be both rocky and interesting this offseason and it's only going to get worse if the Lakers win this year. That'll tie them with Boston for the most Championships ever and we'll no longer hold the singular distinction of Bannertown NBA.

That's going to cause alo0t of angst for guys like me.

17. Rave

Rave JBB JustBBall Member

I'm surprised there is no love and no mention for the man known for his effort....Malik Rose. He is available to you, you know, he is only a mediocre player and that's what you have to offer. The positive attitude and hustle he brings would only bring about good things for you guys. The same goes for say, Brian "The Custodian" Cardinal, guys that like that are good players and awesome moral boosters.

That's something your team seems to lack, you need to all be buddies and act as a team for once. Mayhaps some form of staffing, either coach, owner or GM with some chemistry knowledge should be available to you. Someone like Doc Rivers is all about that.

18. Trip

Student
    Why would they want Malik Rose? He has a big contract for 4 more years (or is it 5?) and is a tad undersized. Boston doesn't need him, they already have Lafrentz and Stewart holding their cap space to a minimum. Cardinal would a FA this summer, and the Celtics obviously can't get him in a trade, and this thread is called Trade Ideas.

19. BC

BC JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting hagrid:</div><div class="quote_post">And therein lies the issue that most Celtic fans have: We could have just kept the team the way it was last year and kept making the playoffs every year.

We want Championships, not meaning less playoff births with no hope of winning it all.

The ride is going to be both rocky and interesting this offseason and it's only going to get worse if the Lakers win this year. That'll tie them with Boston for the most Championships ever and we'll no longer hold the singular distinction of Bannertown NBA.

That's going to cause alo0t of angst for guys like me.</div>
    The Celtics will still be up by one, 16-15 if the Lakers win this season. But I agree with you 100%, there was nothing wrong with the Walker teams but they were'nt winning a championship anytime soon. Ainge is trying to build a Championship winner/contender not a team that makes ht eplayoffs every season and sometimes makes the second round.

20. BC

BC JBB JustBBall Member

What do you think about possibly bringing in Brent Barry for the MLE. He would be a good fit with Pierce and running the point. I don't know if he wants to come here, but I think Ainge wants him to be a Celtic