Trade Ideas

Discussion in 'Boston Celtics' started by hagrid, May 15, 2004.

1. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    Sure, Brent Barry would fit. Experience does wonders and Barry sure has the experience needed to assume the role of a leader. I think, however, that with Chucky Atkins and Marcus Banks at the point, Barry would be out of place. Besides, the C's would likely still have Atkins at the start of next season since his big contract makes him hard to move.

2. BC

BC JBB JustBBall Member

3. Rave

Rave JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Trip:</div><div class="quote_post">Why would they want Malik Rose? He has a big contract for 4 more years (or is it 5?) and is a tad undersized. Boston doesn't need him, they already have Lafrentz and Stewart holding their cap space to a minimum. Cardinal would a FA this summer, and the Celtics obviously can't get him in a trade, and this thread is called Trade Ideas.</div>

As I said, he's a workhorse, you need someone willing to give up his body for the game, for the team and for the win. He's exactly that, also I've read earlier, somewhere here at JBB that they planned to let him go. Therefore he'd be available for trade. He rebounds fairly well much like the Grizzlies' Outlaw, whom also you should all consider seeing as they have the toughness that's needed.

4. Trip

Student
    <div class="quote_poster">Quoting BC:</div><div class="quote_post">http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/s.../8795190.htm?1c
    Read that, it looks like Ainge is targetting Wally and trying to get him for the 15th pick. I can't see this trade happening unless Stewart or Lafrentz is added, because you can only have so many bad contracts on one team.</div>
    I can't open the article, a registration is needed. Is the Wally you're talking about Wally Sczerbiak? Then I'd hate the trade. The C's have enough swingmen to add another one. Also, he has a big, long-term contract and he does have injury problems.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">As I said, he's a workhorse, you need someone willing to give up his body for the game, for the team and for the win. He's exactly that, also I've read earlier, somewhere here at JBB that they planned to let him go. Therefore he'd be available for trade. He rebounds fairly well much like the Grizzlies' Outlaw, whom also you should all consider seeing as they have the toughness that's needed.</div>
    Being a workhorse doesn't guarantee greatness. Poppovich does not want to play him now even, so he either has a problem with his play or his attitude. He was inked to a $42 million, 7 year contract which I don't think Ainge would want to take on. The Celtics actually don't need a lot of rebounding. Blount, Lafrentz and Hunter can all get 10 rebounds any game. Also, Rose is undersized at 6-5 to be much of a force down low.

5. BRockwell

BRockwell JBB JustBBall Member

Laefrentz grabbing 10 boards a game is a bit of a stretch really. He's never even averaged 8 and its been 3 years since he's even averaged 5. Sore knees aren't going help his lift any either. I believe it would be a mistake to count on Laefrentz to play in more than 60 games, let alone rely on him for rebounding help.

Given the high probability of Blount leaving the Boston area for greener (and warmer) pastures, the Celtics will be in dire need of help on the boards. Especially considering that even with both Blount and Raef on their roster the C's were one of the league's worst rebounding teams, with only the Sonics and Raptors averaging less rpg.

6. Trip

Student
    Rebounding to me is not much of a task, you just have to box out properly and be in the right place for rebounds. Teams with high rebounding averages are those with stingy defenses, thus the missed shots, and thus more opportunities for rebounds.

I feel that the Celtics just have to improve their interior defense so teams would stay honest and attempt more jumpers instead of drive to the lane, and a healthy Lafrentz would help that aspect a lot with his shot blocking.

7. hagrid

hagrid JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">I feel that the Celtics just have to improve their interior defense</div>

We have an interior defense? [​IMG] :mrgreen:

8. Trip

Student
    <div class="quote_poster">Quoting hagrid:</div><div class="quote_post">We have an interior defense? [​IMG] :mrgreen:</div>
    Well, if they don't, they need to get one. [​IMG]

9. hagrid

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Well, if they don't, they need to get one. [​IMG] </div>

Waiter, Oh Waiter!

Waiter: Yes Sir, what would you like to order today?

I'll take your largest portion of interior defense.

Waiter: Would you like some blocked shots with that sir?

Oh, yes please.

Waiter: Can I interest you in a side of Boxing out?

Sounds great!

:mrgreen: [​IMG]

10. Trip

Student
    <div class="quote_poster">Quoting hagrid:</div><div class="quote_post">Waiter, Oh Waiter!

Waiter: Yes Sir, what would you like to order today?

I'll take your largest portion of interior defense.

Waiter: Would you like some blocked shots with that sir?

Oh, yes please.

Waiter: Can I interest you in a side of Boxing out?

Sounds great!

:mrgreen: [​IMG]</div>
    [​IMG][​IMG]

If only the Celtics could do it that way...[​IMG]

11. Sasha

Sasha ...since the beginning.

That's classic! [​IMG]

12. BRockwell

BRockwell JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Trip:</div><div class="quote_post">Teams with high rebounding averages are those with stingy defenses, thus the missed shots, and thus more opportunities for rebounds.</div>

This is a common misconception. A team with a good defensive fg% will have more rebound opportunities than a poor defensive team but that does not mean they will have more rebounds. Case in point: Clippers had league's 2nd worst defensive FG% last year(.466), yet were 5th overall in rpg. Dallas had the third worst FG% defensively (.459) and finished 2nd in total rpg. Toronto finished 7th overall in defensive fg% and still finished 2nd to last in rpg.

The best way to look at a team's rebounding ability is the rebounding margin. Boston had the 2nd worst rebounding margin of any team in the league last year at -3.69. Needless to say, even if Mark Blount is with them again next year, a healthy Raef Lafrentz will not help the Celtic's rebounding issues.

13. hagrid

OK, please keep in mind that I'm passing this on as an idea only. I have no idea of it's actual validity, but was posted on one of the other sites I post at by a poster that I would call reliable:

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Believing what you hear on talk radio can be dangerous to yout health but this one I heard could be interesting:

Our interest in Telfair is for another team.

One team mentioned is Memphis who i don't believe has a number one this year.

<u><font color="DarkRed">Anyway the deal mentioned is:</font></u>

Michael Stewart and one mil in cash and the rights to Telfair for Stromile Swift.</div>

Any thoughts?

14. Trip

Student
    I like that trade. If the Celtics can nab Telfair, it'd be wiser to actually trade him than to keep him as project. He has received bad feedback from tryouts and the C's already have a project in Brown. Stromile Swift is a talent. He has the natural ability that would guarantee him points and rebounds, but does not possess the hard work yet to be one to get big minutes. Needless to say, he'd at least turn out to be better than Vin Baker. Although Swift is a restricted FA, Boston can use Stewart's salary to sign Swift to a four-seven year deal.

15. BC

BC JBB JustBBall Member

I like this deal, it gives the Celtics a legitimate center who's already ready to play now. I don't think the Celtics need or really want Telfair. Swift, Perkins, Raef, and Hunter coan form a nice little combo at the four and five. That would allow them to draft someone like Jefferson or a European and let him devlop like the Nets have done with Nenad Kristic.

16. Philjacksonsux

Philjacksonsux JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting BC:</div><div class="quote_post">I like this deal, it gives the Celtics a legitimate center who's already ready to play now. I don't think the Celtics need or really want Telfair. Swift, Perkins, Raef, and Hunter coan form a nice little combo at the four and five. That would allow them to draft someone like Jefferson or a European and let him devlop like the Nets have done with Nenad Kristic.</div>

If Jerry West is high on Telfair I would not deal him. West's eye for talent is second to none IMO. I think Bird has a very keen talent eye as well. Looking at the ideas people are mentioning here are my thoughts.

A- We need size. A banger. We tried for Malik Rose but the cost was too high. Swift would be a very good fit. I think someone like Adonal Foyle would be too. Dampier would be ideal. Oliver is too fat. We will be looking for athletes. Look at Detroit. They are long,lean,and athletic...to quote Doc. Both Docs and Dannys teams in the past relied on versatile big men. Mcdyess could be interesting. Marcus Camby may also be one to look at if he declares himself.

B- We need shooters. Davis is ok,Pierce is streaky,Welsch isnt too bad. We need a scorer with 3 pt range. I think that is the reason for our Luke Jackson interest and rumors for Wally. Wally would be ideal IMO. I think he fits the Tom Gugliotta mode who Danny had in Phoenix. Doc had Mike Miller. One team that has some really good swingmen is Golden State. Dunleavy,Pietrus,and Richardson. If we could somehow steal Dunleavy,it would be a coup.

C- We need a legit PG. Banks is raw and seems to be too out of control. Hopefully Doc can harness his talent. For the time being Atkins is a great energy off the bench PG. We need a PG who can just set up the offense but also a shooting threat off Pierce doubles. Troy Hudson,although more of a scorer could be this type of guy. Brent Barry is very intriguing. He has size and great court vision. Ainge was also very interested in him.

I think in FA expect an instigator,physical player. Doc said that is the goal. Kenyon would be ideal and would be a fan fave but is too costly.

My wish list of players-

Mcdyess- If healthy would be the athletic post presence this team desperatley needs. Combined with Lafrentz they could swap defending the 4 and 5. Lafrentz shooting would make him a great pick and roll guy.

Barry- Court vision,can shoot,can score,and his size is very intriguing.

Al Harrington- Great defender at the 3 spot. Great size and desire to be the best. Very underrated player IMO.

Brevin Knight- Was awesome for a while and then fell off I think due to environment. A talented PG.

Robert Traylor- Seriously. This guy is an untapped resource and is risky but the reward could be huge. This guy could be another Anthony Mason.

Steve Nash- This would be my dream. He is a perfect fit for this team and what it will want to do. If we could open up cap room,his Ainge ties could make it a reality.

17. Trip

Student
    Nice list of FA prospects, but I have a few opinions about all of them.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Mcdyess- If healthy would be the athletic post presence this team desperatley needs. Combined with Lafrentz they could swap defending the 4 and 5. Lafrentz shooting would make him a great pick and roll guy.</div>
    I feel that McDyess's skills would drastically help the Celtics both offensively. However, he did not show much of his old self with Phoenix, and could leave a Vin Baker-ish taste if the signing doesn't work out.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Barry- Court vision,can shoot,can score,and his size is very intriguing.
    </div>I like this guy a lot. He has the size to post up smaller players, and the range to make a critical basket. However, he is aging, and I doubt that he would settle for a short term contract.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Al Harrington- Great defender at the 3 spot. Great size and desire to be the best. Very underrated player IMO.
    </div>He is underrated, but he is also very arrogant. Also, he isn't a FA, so the Celtics would have to trade for him. The question is: Who is of equal value to this guy on the roster?

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Brevin Knight- Was awesome for a while and then fell off I think due to environment. A talented PG.</div>He is undersized, and would be better served coming off the bench, which would mean that Atkins would start again, which is not bad, but not very good either.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Robert Traylor- Seriously. This guy is an untapped resource and is risky but the reward could be huge. This guy could be another Anthony Mason.
    </div>Untapped source, that's for sure. Teams have been trying to tap him for a good seven years, to no avail. Another potential Vin Baker here.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Steve Nash- This would be my dream. He is a perfect fit for this team and what it will want to do. If we could open up cap room,his Ainge ties could make it a reality.
    </div>I agree. [​IMG]