Trade: Mike James for Rafer Alston

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets' started by SHUHEI, Oct 4, 2005.

1. The Dream

The Dream mama there goes that man!

well you guys bring up a great point, about James probably opting out after this year, so I guess this isn't so bad after all.

2. AznxBaller

AznxBaller JBB Back...

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting igotask8board:</div><div class="quote_post">
    And honestly, who the f- would take wesley, ward, baker, and even norris for Alston. James isn't really worth as much as Alston. He will fit in nicely, he has better handles than T-Mac. Watch those and 1 mix tapes.

I liked James' scoring abilities, but Rafer is even better imo. He can shoot the 3 a lot better to.</div>
    Well, considering Wesley, Ward, and Baker were all in their contract years compared to Alston who has a bloated contract and wasn't playing like it, Toronto would. In addition, Wesley is a pretty good team player and role player as well. James isn't worth as much? They're around the same, where Alston has a bigger contract. If you're going to judge Alston, watch NBA games instead of And One mixes- everyone looks great in those. How's Alston a better shooter? James shoots the three like thirty percent better. Plus, Alston is much more inconsistent.
    <div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">If you can remember, he played GREAT. Especially in the playoffs (no ejections in game 7).</div>
    You have a gripe against James because he got ejected? Who the hell cares?

...Overall, after considering all the positives (James was opting out anyway) and negatives, it was an okay trade. Like magnomonkey, I think its one of those trades where its a big risk but we can get a big reward in return.

3. Eduardo

Eduardo JBB JustBBall Member

My GOD. I just checked the rockets website and while it was loading i was wondering what the hell a pic of alston was doing in the website :0 Poor Mike...he had just attended Media day and was joking around with people when all of a sudden he gets traded?? Hopefully he was informed even before media day. I really dont know about altson..Haven't really seen him play yet but it seems like he's exactly just like Mike James..He's 29 years old too. sigh..don't know what to think..

4. Buckets

Buckets JBB JustBBall Member

Rafer is a good player with a tendency to try and make his game stick out more than the teams. Like he's a great player one of my favorites in fact but he gets carried away sometimes, but playing alongside T-Mac and Yao will correct that. Rafer could turn out to be the biggest move for the Rockets this offseason.

5. moeinhouston

moeinhouston JBB JustBBall Member

I'm happy to see many people liked this move. I'm now guessing that L.Head is gonna get some minutes. I loved Mike's ability to score off the bench, but now our starting lineup will be a little more conventional if Alston is the starter.
    As far as SKIP's attitude goes, no one likes being in a losing situation with coaches they dont like. When he was with Miami with Wade, Odom and Butler, he was their floor general and was good at it. He took and made big shots for them. I know he's happy with the move. He is in a great situation for any point guard.

6. JuLiO-R-

JuLiO-R- JBB The Same One

This is creepy. I traded for Rafer Alston on NBA live 06. Could Gerald Green be next lol?

But seriously I think James for Alston is a good trade. To me Alston seems like he can fit better with Yao, Tmac, Swift, & DA. Mike James seemed to ignore passing to his teammates. He would dribble, dribble, drive in for a layup or dribble, dribble and take a jumpshot. Alston has a 3.02 assist/turnover ratio and with a better team around him now I think he can become a better PG. It's all gonna depend on how well Alston gets along with his teammates and Coaches. Last year he had problems in Toronto but this year he's on a good and I doubt he will ruin the chance of a title.

He's gonna be like T-Mac, hate him now, love him later. Hopefully.

7. Dan Le

Dan Le JBB JustBBall Member

Wow...This is a huge shock, i'm not sure how I feel...I loved Mike James, he was an incredibly exciting player to watch off the bench, and Alston is good, but he's a headcase, last season we won alot of games because of our tremendous team chemistry...If we lose that, we could be in trouble...

8. TMacAttack

TMacAttack JBB JustBBall Member

After reading this forum i've come to the conclusion that JVG does not like James, TMac does not like James, and James mentioned looking at other teams for more money. Why would we want to keep him? Why not give someone else a chance? If we know James is going to leave us in a year or two to search for more money and we know he does not get along with other members of the team, while on top of this, jacks up ill advised shots every single game. Why would we not want to try another person? Skip might have attitude problems, may hog the ball, and may ruin team chemistry; but then again he may not. We already knowJames is not going to work. So why not try someone new? Skip has all the tools and isn't it JVG who specializes in getting the most out of people? Just give him a shot. If he doesnt work he will just go looking for another team in a couple years just like James would have.

9. houston_owns_u

houston_owns_u JBB JustBBall Member

Yes, I agree with all of you guys this trade was a potential high risk high reward trade. Plus, this happened suddenly without any rumors or talk except the one rumor that said T-Mac didn't like Mike James or something. Anyway, I think Rafer Alston might just be the last missing piece of our puzzle - if he improves and plays team ball. The chemistry seemed great, the team always getting along and Derek Anderson and Stromile Swift excited to be here. We will figure out how enthusiastic Alston was about the trade later. We now have a pure point guard, and a pretty solid starting five. However, this is a potential risk, because we've given up a lot on Mike James if you saw him in the playoffs - especially games 1 and 6 where he basically took over for Yao's absense from foul trouble. Also, Alston has proven to be a ball hog and maybe a volume shooter. Look at his stats - top 15 in 3 pointers attempted - not very good news. However, joining a winning team could change all his attitude.
    All this talk about And 1 reminded me of the Mike James vs And 1 ballers game. My friend told me it was funny cause once they juked James by bouncing the ball off his forehead and another time Mike James tried to dribbled around some ballers - and tripped and fell and lost the ball.

10. babybulls

babybulls JBB JustBBall Member

alston trade new thread

I only glimpsed at the thread about the trade for rafear and quickly i was disappointed. I started a new thread cause i hate threads that are like 10 pages deep and noone stays up on it

First of all i can't believe anyone would question this move, the rockets gave up almost nothing for alston. He is a legit pg who you guys have been looking for, w/ sura in question and losing out an damon stoudamire you can not question this move. If it doesn't pan out then just bench him, i love this move personally and i am a bulls fan but the rockets won me a bunch load gambling last year and i hope that this move will help me out more. Be greatful rockets fans for what has happened

11. rookie789

rookie789 JBB Banned Member

why the hell did houston accept this trade, rafer needs to go anywhere else but houston, he did needed to leave the raptors though, he said the team was not organized and everybody wanted the ball and stuff

12. igotask8board

igotask8board Active Member

i like the move to. but we gave up mike james. He was nice to have and i wouldnt call him almost nothing. he is worth 80-85% of rafer is tho.

no need to start a whole nother thread. the point of havinf that many replies is that u read other peoples opinions, than state your comments.

13. 44Thrilla

44Thrilla cuatro cuatro

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting igotask8board:</div><div class="quote_post">no need to start a whole nother thread. the point of havinf that many replies is that u read other peoples opinions, than state your comments.</div>Exactly.

Threads merged.

14. AznxBaller

AznxBaller JBB Back...

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">After reading this forum i've come to the conclusion that JVG does not like James, TMac does not like James, and James mentioned looking at other teams for more money. Why would we want to keep him? Why not give someone else a chance? If we know James is going to leave us in a year or two to search for more money and we know he does not get along with other members of the team, while on top of this, jacks up ill advised shots every single game. Why would we not want to try another person? Skip might have attitude problems, may hog the ball, and may ruin team chemistry; but then again he may not. We already knowJames is not going to work. So why not try someone new? Skip has all the tools and isn't it JVG who specializes in getting the most out of people? Just give him a shot. If he doesnt work he will just go looking for another team in a couple years just like James would have.</div>
    How does McGrady not like James? They played great and worked well together in the playoffs. I remember specifically several plays against Dallas where it was McGrady to a James off a screen. We can always keep him for this season to get a spark off the bench and trade him when a better opportunity arises. I don't know about you, but he actually got along pretty well with the rest of the team. There might be something you know that I don't, but from what I've read on the Chronicle, him and the rest of the vets go along. Alston also jacks up ill advised shots every game, I mean the two are so similar. However, there is a difference. With James, we already know what we're getting from him game to game, and we already know he works well within the system. Alston meanwhile, can make it considerably worse.

15. TMacAttack

TMacAttack JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">How does McGrady not like James?</div>
    Read the post in the forum.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">With James, we already know what we're getting from him game to game, and we already know he works well within the system.</div>
    Yeah we know what we got from him, and it was not enough to get us out of the 1st round.

16. SHUHEI

SHUHEI JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting TMacAttack:</div><div class="quote_post">After reading this forum i've come to the conclusion that JVG does not like James, TMac does not like James, and James .</div>

haha.Why do you tell a lie like this?
    JVG always using MJ for 4th Quater

17. AznxBaller

AznxBaller JBB Back...

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Read the post in the forum.</div>
    So? What makes his opinion have more value than mine? I actually thought McGrady and James were working really well together, I mean I continually saw plays exchange between the two.
    <div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Yeah we know what we got from him, and it was not enough to get us out of the 1st round.</div>
    Then why don't we just trade Wesley, Barry, and Mutumbo as well?

18. SHUHEI

SHUHEI JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting TMacAttack:</div><div class="quote_post">Yeah we know what we got from him, and it was not enough to get us out of the 1st round.</div>

Why does it become his responsibility???
    Mike is worked very well and I remember AJ evaluated him.

19. drake

drake JBB JustBBall Member

My main concern is if we're gonna be in a situation like last season and have all these news guys which screwed up our chemistry and wan't until later on in the season things started getting better.

I hope this Rafer Alston is a worthwhile player and by the sounds of him this guy obviously has potential but may have a few problems.

But lets look at his achievements

Ranks #11 in the NBA in Assists Per Game(6.4)
    Ranks #18 in the NBA in Steals Per Game(1.48)
    Ranks #19 in the NBA in Three-Point Field Goals Made(139.0)
    Ranks #13 in the NBA in Three-Point Field Goal Attempts(389.0)
    Ranks #11 in the NBA in Assists(514.0)
    Ranks #18 in the NBA in Steals(118.0)
    Ranks #19 in the NBA in Assists Per Turnover(3.02)
    Ranks #11 in the NBA in Assists Per 48 Minutes(9.1)

That looks pretty impressive to me

20. Bobcats

Bobcats JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Houston:</div><div class="quote_post">I like it because Alston is a pure, true PG...he can run a team comfortably and has great skills to accomodate...while you may question his behavior and reputation (as I do), you cannot question his talent...he averaged 14 points and 6 assists per game last year and shoots 36% from 3...hes also a solid ballhandler and a great passer...Considering that I believed that MJ was gonna opt out of his contract next year, I do believe that Alston was the best the Rockets could've received in return...</div>

Be honest, have you ever watched Rafer Alston play?