Trade: Mike James for Rafer Alston

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets' started by SHUHEI, Oct 4, 2005.

1. Adrenaline

Adrenaline JBB JustBBall Member

Talking about summing up a crazy off-season.

What a trade and I must say..the SEASON NEEDS TO HURRY UP AND COME ON! WE WANT BASKETBALL!

2. cheen0

cheen0 JBB JustBBall Member

say it isnt so, all i hope now is that i cant wait until the season starts, maybe CD see's something we dont, and hopefully it'll help our team.

3. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    Way to log on to JBB and see a four-page thread compiled within a few hours. Definitely didn't expect this trade to happen. Where's the inside info, Houston?

As a Rockets fan who lives in the Toronto area, I think I can tell everyone what's good and bad about Alston's game and how it will fit into the Houston system. Let's start with the good. Alston is a good three-point shooter, penetrator and passer. He is very quick with the ball and can spot the open man when he's not concentrating on his own shot. He is a daring three-point shooter who isn't afraid to shoot it from 30 feet out when there's still 10 seconds left on the shot clock, but his shot selection can tend to be bad. I don't think he will get the green light to do it under Van Gundy though.

Now on to the bad. As mentioned earlier, Alston's shot selection is pretty bad. He doesn't know when to take one and when not to, and at times, he can go four trips down the floor without even raising his head to look around at his teammates. He will definitely have to improve on that if he is to start at PG for us. He can tend to get too engrossed on one-on-one play at times. If he doesn't get a call on defense, he might be so caught up that he would dribble all the way upcourt, attack the rim, try to draw a foul, and miss the bad looking layup. Defensively, Alston is nothing to write home about. He let Tyronn Lue (out of all people) score 28 points on him, and he is probably the worst guard in the league at guarding pick-n-rolls. With Van Gundy, it might not go so well. Most serious of all, attitude problems. Sam Mitchell is a disciplinarian, but one who isn't as strict and tough as JVG. It makes you think that if Alston, who had at least two major run-ins with Mitchell in one season, can go problem-free with Van Gundy as his coach. If Alston lets his head get in the way, he could be out of here by All-Star break.

That being said, I don't mind this trade. Mike James would probably have seen a lesser role this season and Alston is definitely a talent upgrade. His arrival takes away all doubt about who will start at point guard in Sura's absence, and he brings some stability to the team from the get-go. He won't lead the league in assists, but he will be a good role player with TMac and Yao. His defense and attitude can turn out to be major roadblocks but if he can overcome that, he will probably have the starting point guard spot locked down even when Sura returns.

4. TMacAttack

TMacAttack JBB JustBBall Member

Im just trying to make connections of why they would trade James. Instead of everyone else saying how they dont like the trade. It makes sense that JVG would not want you to back on the team if you lost your cool. He got rid of the Franchise.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Then why don't we just trade Wesley, Barry, and Mutumbo as well?</div>
    If thats what it takes to win.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">So? What makes his opinion have more value than mine? I actually thought McGrady and James were working really well together, I mean I continually saw plays exchange between the two.</div>
    If James was open under the basket do you really think TMac would not pass it to him just because he doesnt like him? There not going to just ignore each other over their pride.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">haha.Why do you tell a lie like this?
    JVG always using MJ for 4th Quater</div>

Who else is he going to put in there James was second ... and if you didnt have your head up your butt and actually read the forum I said JVG doesnt like James because of what he did in Game 7 THE LAST GAME OF THE SEASON so it not like JVG could go back and decide to take him out of the forth quarter in all the previous games.

5. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

I cant understand why Houston fans are so mad about this trade. They've been wanting a legit starting PG who can penetrate, hit the three, pass, and play some defense. Well here he is, plus you only had to give an inferior player who had problems with T-Mac and was going to leave anyway. This is great for Houston; Rafer can shoot, penetrate, get some steals, and distribute. The only problem could be team chemistry, but its worth the risk.

I dont think Houston will miss Mike James that much. They have plenty of scorers and if/when Sura comes back he would be a great 6th man due to his ability to play point and shooting guard.

6. bbwAce

bbwAce BBW Member

I myself didnt see this coming at all either...Obviously this shows how much uncertainty the team has regarding Sura's injury...They did want a true PG and they got one- they love Rafer's passing ability and feel he's a pefect fit...rumor had it that a lot of players didnt like james' uncontrolled offensive forrays or his quick shot trigger...while he was a very likeable person, he tended to be selfish on offense...

JVG talked to Stan Van Gundy, who coached Rafer in Miami, and he said the kid's a great talent with a lot of skills who will thrive in the right situation...Rockets officials agree that Houston will be that right situation...However, its very likely that if Sura hadnt been injured or needed a second surgery that this trade would have occurred...

7. Richy-Rich

Richy-Rich JBB JustBBall Member

Tmac and James

I actually got hooked up with seats a couple of rows behind the Rocket's bench about the time when James first got to Houston. He was starting and had like 15 points in the third quarter, but we where down ten. After a time- out when most of the team was on the floor TMac shouted at JVG "Tell that mf to give me the ball!" Everybody within earshot heard it so that's pretty much how that rumor started. But they are both pro's and your not going to see evidence of a bad relationship on court.

I do think Rafer is a risk, but still an upgrade as long as he gets people the ball(6.4 vs. 2.3)

8. JuLiO-R-

JuLiO-R- JBB The Same One

Here's the Reason why we traded Mike for Skip

Mike is a great player too have off the bench because he's a scorer. Not really starting material. Even though he has had good games as a starter he's really not fit to start long term. Mike James doesn't see to like to pass to anyone when he has the ball. He dribbles and shoots too much by himself and because of that he doesnt fit really well with players like Yao and McGrady. James is more than just a scorer, he can defend well with his speed and quickness.

Rafer is a good starter that with a team like the Rockets can do very well. He can be a scorer, but the Rockets are more interested in his passing ability. The Rockets need someone who can find open players. Alston has a 3 to 1 assist to turnover ratio while avereging 6.4apg. Now that he's playing with guys like Yao, Swift, T-Mac, and DA you can expect his numbers to increase. Along with passing Rafer is also a good shooter and with good coaching by JVG he can become a decent defender.

To me Rafer Alston fits well with the Rockets with the current roster. It makes sense to me that the Rockets rather have a pass-1st PG than a shoot-1st one. I know alot of people question his attitude. His attitude problems happened in Toronto. The Rockets coaches and players already said that they're not worried about that. He's just a player joining a new team and won't be criticized for his past. And if Skip is smart he'll realize that this is a good opportunity for him that he shouldn't blow. It's just like when T-Mac came to the Rockets. People were calling him lazy and selfish. Can you call him that now? Just give Skip time to prove himself and I'm sure he won't dissapoint.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

If anyone's interested about what James thinks, I just saw him on TV. He said he was surprised but he has already moved on. He understands it's a bussiness and that's why he plays for the name on the Back of his jersey and not the Front. He says that's not him being selfish, he just understands that things like this happen and he knows he has to be ready for them.

9. MTran

MTran JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Houston:</div><div class="quote_post">However, its very likely that if Sura hadnt been injured or needed a second surgery that this trade would have occurred...</div>

do you mean unlikely?

10. Dirge

Dirge JBB JustBBall Member

After reading all the comments I feel that this may work to Houstons benefit, especially if Sura is questionable. It will definately move the Rockets games to a higher Tivo priority for me.<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Adrenaline:</div><div class="quote_post">the SEASON NEEDS TO HURRY UP AND COME ON! WE WANT BASKETBALL!</div>I second the motion to start the season. I don't even follow any other team sports. Bring it on!

11. market

market JBB JustBBall Member

JVD just wants to find a legit PG,We dont lack score-machine,if Rafer Alston intends more to ast,it will be proved a successful move.

12. Bobcats

Bobcats JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">They did want a true PG and they got one</div>

Rafer is definitely not a true PG.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">rumor had it that a lot of players didnt like james' uncontrolled offensive forrays or his quick shot trigger...while he was a very likeable person, he tended to be selfish on offense...</div>

Just want you to know that you just described Alston as well.

Don't think I'm trying to hate Rockets fans, but this is like the 3rd or 4th time somebody has described Alston the wrong way.

Positives: Good penetrator, has a good 3 PT shot, a good passer, and is great at taking care of the ball.

Negatives: His defense is terrible (not 'mediocre, or 'average'), horrible shot selection, attitude problems, not a true PG (shoot first-pass second, will fail to find the star player(s) when he's concentrating on trying to get his own shot).

Some nights he'll look great, and some you'll just rip your hair out. If anybody can get him to play any defense though, it's JVG.

13. bbwAce

bbwAce BBW Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Bobcats:</div><div class="quote_post">Rafer is definitely not a true PG.

</div>

He is a true PG in that that is his true position and hes comfortable handling the ball and running the team...we had too many combo guards being forced to try their hand at the PG spot...

14. Eduardo

Eduardo JBB JustBBall Member

Believe me..the trade's made me happy but I really feel bad for James coz he and his family just bought a house in Houston this summer and all of a sudden he gets traded?

15. ROCK4LIFE

ROCK4LIFE Active Member

I don't think Skip is "pure" PG. But I do think he's true PG. He's not Steve Nash by any means, but he can set up the offense up. Running the point has more to do with scoring, and assist. It involves getting other people involved. Getting the ball in the hands of your star players, and also controlling the tempo of the game. I think Skip is hands down better than James when it comes to those qualities. He understands what it means to run the point. Does he get outta control sometimes, probably. But ultimatley, Skip knows how to run the team. James doesn't get that yet.................

16. Trip

Student
    <div class="quote_poster">Quoting Houston:</div><div class="quote_post">He is a true PG in that that is his true position and hes comfortable handling the ball and running the team...we had too many combo guards being forced to try their hand at the PG spot...</div>How the hell do you know that when you haven't seen him play more than 10 times? I saw Alston for most of last season and he is by no means a true PG. His assist numbers are deceiving. He always look to shoot first, pass second, and he's by no means the perfect distributor to run this team. Alston averaged 6.4 assists per game on the seventh highest scoring team in the league, and that is not an accomplishment. His defense is horrible and he can launch 10 three-pointers a game without blinking an eye, even if he misses them all. Alston is going to be a Francis-lite on offense.

However, would such a guy be so bad for the team? I don't think we need a true point guard. We need a point guard who can pass the ball but also remain a scoring threat so teams aren't going to cheat off him. I didn't like James because he didn't distribute the ball well, and Alston, although he isn't better at passing than Sura, is an upgrade. I don't think Alston has to score a lot of points, but we'll see less double-teams on TMac and Yao now because all five starters can score, and three of them can make the three.

17. ROCK4LIFE

ROCK4LIFE Active Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Locke:</div><div class="quote_post">How the hell do you know that when you haven't seen him play more than 10 times?</div>
    This is how you make yourself look real silly. You don't know how many times I've seen Skip play, unless you have pyshic abilities that your not telling me about. By the way, I'm not judging him on how he played in Toronto. They're trash. I'm judging him on what he did in Miami, when they went to the playoffs. He's a true point in a sense that he can control the flow of the game. His natural position is PG. The Rockets needed a real point, and they got one in Skip.

18. bbwAce

bbwAce BBW Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Locke:</div><div class="quote_post">How the hell do you know that when you haven't seen him play more than 10 times? I saw Alston for most of last season and he is by no means a true PG. </div>

ummmmmm...you're misnterpreting what I said as "true" to be "pure"...I never said he was a pure PG but he is a TRUE point...see the difference?...James was never a true point, he was focused on getting his shots...i.e. he would much rather be shooting the ball than passing...Skip is a TRUE point in that there is no debate that PG is his true position and nothing else...meaning he's not a combo guard like James, Sura, Head are... but Skip's not a pure one...

19. Trip

Student
    <div class="quote_poster">Quoting Rock4life:</div><div class="quote_post">This is how you make yourself look real silly. You don't know how many times I've seen Skip play, unless you have pyshic abilities that your not telling me about. By the way, I'm not judging him on how he played in Toronto. They're trash. I'm judging him on what he did in Miami, when they went to the playoffs. He's a true point in a sense that he can control the flow of the game. His natural position is PG. The Rockets needed a real point, and they got one in Skip.</div>Um, you've been saying that about out-of-town Rockets fans all along. Just a taste of your own medicine, that's all. Well, so have you seen him play more than 10 times? I don't think you get a lot of Raptors and 03-04 Heat games on American TV. [​IMG]

In Miami, Alston shot 37.1% from the field, and had 4.5 assists per game. He averaged 9.3 shots per game to get 10.2 points per game. This season, Sura took 8.2 shots per game to average 10.3 points per game. Alston was not an efficient scorer that season. Alston also averaged 2.2 shots per assist, while Sura this season has an average of 1.6 shots per assist. With the Heat, Alston was not a "pure" point.
    <div class="quote_poster">Quoting Houston:</div><div class="quote_post">
    ummmmmm...you're misnterpreting what I said as "true" to be "pure"...I never said he was a pure PG but he is a TRUE point...see the difference?...James was never a true point, he was focused on getting his shots...i.e. he would much rather be shooting the ball than passing...Skip is a TRUE point in that there is no debate that PG is his true position and nothing else...meaning he's not a combo guard like James, Sura, Head are... but Skip's not a pure one...</div>Skip spent a fair amount of last season at shooting guard, and he thrived in that situation. You criticize James for looking for his shot, but Alston didn't fare any better than James in getting his teammates involved last season. He is no more of a true point guard than Francis was.

I do think that the Rockets made a good move in acquiring Alston, but calling him the "true" PG we've lacked all this time is just ludicrous.

20. SHUHEI

SHUHEI JBB JustBBall Member

I think that this trading was after all unnecessary.
    but .....I believe Rockets