Trade Monta Ellis

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by AlleyOop, Dec 18, 2010.

1. AlleyOop

AlleyOop JBB JustBBall Member

The only player GS would want from Portland is Aldridge, but frankly he's over-achieving right now IMO. I don't think Portland has a package that works for Monta.

2. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

I think we could get more than just Crash for Monta. Iggy seems to have more value because hes a pure perimeter player who can handle and facilitate. Wallace can score by bum rushing the rim (he literally wears shoulder pads) but hes more of a tweener and an unconvenctional scorer. Iggy actually may be the worse scorer of the two but hes just so well rounded. I'd like either but if we're moving Monta for Wallace I'd expect some good filler to be coming back our way. Doesn't seem too plausible though as Monta and DJ Augustin don't seem like a fit in the back court.

Denny makes a good point ab out Chicago potentially being interested in Monta though. Being in the East with the Celts, Heat, and Magic all jockeying to make the finals they may feel pressure to make moves now. If Rose says hes ok guarding SGs for the rest of his career he and Monta would be absolute HELL to guard. Historically they're WAY too gun shy to move any of their beloved home grown players and I don't think they'd give us what we want for Monta. Rose, Boozer, and Noah aint going anywhere. That only leaves Deng as the primary piece who's coming back and hes making a little more than Monta. If I'm Riley I demand they take Charlie Bell AND I want one of Kurt Thomas or Brian Scalabrine (small expirings to add to what we already have) and I'd try to pry Taj Gibson away (doubt they do this). Might settle for James Johnson is scouts like him or a 1st round pick.

Don't think Bulls make that move though. Way too timid, way too into their own players.

3. AlleyOop

I agree, and frankly I don't like any realistic package they have. I think Monta is one of the best values in the league right now. No WAY I just try to get rid of him. Dollar for dollar, he is one of the most productive (at only $10 mils).

There are only a few select trades I would consider for Monta. It would have to include a premier perimeter player in return. No way I start Reggie at the SG long term, lol.

The thing I think people are missing is that Iggy is a premier perimeter player. He is so well rounded and produces so well, and one thing he has is excellent defense to finally ease the burden for Curry. No more Monta guarding Kobe. I mean, hats off to Monta, but what the hell. Now you have Iggy giving Kobe trouble the whole game.

Even though he only gets 14.5 PPG this year, he's flying under the radar. He's actually only one of a few players I would want to move Monta for (and under the presumption that we'd get fair market value, i.e. maybe add Nocioni for filler in return. Or Speights... Or something)

To me, I'm trying to look long term, to build a team around Curry, and that means an SG who is a great defender, plays without the ball, and contributes in many ways. Iggy.

4. CohanHater

CohanHater JBB JustBBall Member

Enterprise Architect
    Agreed, and Iguodala can get to the line. Monta can, but I don't think he can sustain the beating for a season. If you can get him, I think it's worth it.

5. jason bourne

jason bourne JBB JustBBall Member

Law enforcement
    No question Monta is the better offensive player, but Monta isn't our answer as he goes one-on-one when the chips are down. He trusts himself too much over the team. Lack of B-ball IQ.

If we go with Crash and Dubz, then Reggie would have to pick up the scoring slack and defend the bigger SG. I like Wallace, and think he can become our go-to guy, but our D would be weaker with Reggie. Regardless, if it primes the pump for a shot at Dwight Howard, then I'm all for it.

6. jason bourne

jason bourne JBB JustBBall Member

Law enforcement
    The only question I have with Iggy is can he become our leading scorer and go-to guy? I think he'll do better in the run and gun, but he can slow it down, too. No question, it would be a defensive upgrade.

Like I said, I'll take a chance on Iggy, but we'll still have to upgrade our coach.

PG - Curry
    SG - Iggy
    SF - DWright
    PF - DLee
    C - ABiedrins

+ new coach.

Playoffs baby!!!

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  7. Doctor Kajita

Doctor Kajita Active Member

Finance
    Monta is a great value for the Warriors, but I don't think many other teams value him as high. Sorry.

Would Philly want Monta? I don't see it with Lou Williams and Evan Turner there. Would Charlotte want Monta? Yeah, I see that.

I like Gerald Wallace more than Iggy but that's just me.

8. philsmith75

philsmith75 JBB JustBBall Member

I've never been much of a fan of Monta aside from respecting his spectacular shooting and scoring abilities. But basketball is so much more. Sometimes it means more to set a good back screen than to hit the spectacular shot; box a guy out instead of leaking out on the fast break; STAY IN FRONT OF YOUR GUY INSTEAD OF GOING FOR THE STEAL!!!

To me, that's what summarizes Monta, and really that's why the coaches picked Jason Kidd instead of Monta for the All-Star game.

Monta is one dimensional. He does not show that he understands what sacrifice is; he thinks standing on the weakside is sacrificing; he's never learned that just running full speed on the fast break to fill a wing will open up the lane for someone else; never learned that setting a screen on the weakside could lead to a dunk.

Yesterday, I got fed up in the 3Q and just turned it off. Monta had just fumbled the ball out of bounds for the 4th time and had committed his 6th TO. That's enough. I mentally said "I'm done" until the Warriors play better.

Obviously, I agree with AlleyOop, a trade is necessary. Let someone else fall in love with the 25 ppg (and +/- of -250). I'll take an Igoudala any day.

9. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    Noah is PPP

10. HiRez

HiRez Overlord

One thing I would take a hard look at is Monta + Andris for Iguodala + Brand. To make the salaries work the Warriors would have to send 1-2 other players in the trade, single contracts that work include Bell, Gadzuric, B. Wright, and Radmanovic.

So we know why Iguodala: less scoring than Monta in trade for a better all-around game, better defense, excellent rebounder and passer, and totally solves the backcourt size issue. Plus he can easily play SF when needed. Another thing I really like about Iguodala is consistency. Look at his game logs, you'll see that even when he doesn't have a great shooting game, a) he doesn't take a ton of shots and shoot his team out of the game, and b) he's still doing all the other things you want, rebounding, passing, and playing defense -- he doesn't let a bad shooting night take his head out of the game.

But why Brand? "WHY!?" I hear you screaming.

"He's injury-prone!"

He played 76 games last year (that's more than any Warrior other than Curry), and has played every game this year except one, which was because of a flagrant foul suspension. And he's playing 34 minutes a night. Like Amare, the injuries appear to be behind him.

"His contract is HUGE!"

Indeed it is. But it's also one year shorter than Andris' is, and will be an attractive expiring.

"He's washed up! His best years are behind him!"

Perhaps his best years are behind him, but he's not exactly old and is still productive. Even playing center, he's much more valuable than Biedrins is.

First, he plays big minutes. He doesn't spend half the game on the bench from picking up fouls.

Second, he's not a liability at the line. This means he can comfortably play in crunch time, which Andris cannot.

Third, he is averaging 15 ppg and 8 rpg on a slower-paced Phillies team. That's solid production. And it's consistent production. He's scored 15 points or more in 16 of his 26 games this year. Andris has done that...once in 25 games. And while he's not quite the rebounder Andris is, again Brand is consistent. He's pulled 8 or more boards in 17 games (Andris 19).

Fourth, he gives us a legitimate low-post threat on offense, which is huge for this team. That means opening it up with the inside-outside game (leaving Lee to work the pick and roll on the high post) and settling for fewer outside jumpers.

Fifth, he's comfortable playing PF as well, giving them more rotation flexibility. Not really the case with Andris.

Sixth, he protects the rim on defense and has bulk to hold position.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  11. Kaydow

Kaydow Well-Known Member

Construction Sales
    That is definately the 1st time Lamarcus and the words "over-acheiveing" have been used in the same sentence.

12. AlleyOop

I was referring to the several monster games he had prior to the GS game. As far as the whole season, statistically he's been pretty much the same every year. Good, but not great. But I was talking about the 35/10 and then 36/10 back to back games. Those were huge, but they were anomalies. He still won't be an all-star this year IMO. And he's definitely not worth a Monta Ellis trade to me.

13. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

Same here man. I am done until they start improving. I just saw the ending of the first half versus the Rox and the Warriors are playing so retarded. Not only do they fail to score on the layups, they inbound the ball to the guy that just scored on the cherry pick. It's like keystone cops with a soundtrack. Everyone is playing like clumsy idiots. I sooooo miss Stephen Curry. Monta is not a point guard. The guy doesn't even know how to run a fastbreak properly.

14. Doctor Kajita

Finance
    I might be on board with this.

15. AlleyOop

Monta was insane tonight against the Rockets... but GS just could not get it done. Udoh looked awesome tonight...

16. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

Yeah that put-back dunk and block was awesome!

Monta was on fire but he felt like Corey Maggette. Great stats in a losing game. Of course, that may not be Monta's fault. I thought Keith Smart put in the wrong guys at the wrong time. Why the hell did he opt for a cold shooting Reggie Williams and a guy who surprisingly kept doing idiotic things: Dorrell Wright.

The dubs should have stuck with the players that were contributing in key moments rather than going for the veterans.

Oh yeah and leave it to Vlad to do two things awesome and then two things stupid to totally undo it. He is the new Mickael Pietrus.

17. CohanHater

CohanHater JBB JustBBall Member

Enterprise Architect
    Ya, I don't blame Monta for this one at all. Udoh and Lee were the only other 2 players that showed up last night. I'm not sure I would've stayed with that rotation, I think I would've slowly brought in other guys though. Not having Beans and Curry was the difference, IMO.

Side Note: Battier is really one hell of a player. Something tells me he ends up in LA or Chicago next year which will absolutely kill me. I love watching him play. He does pretty much everything right.

18. Doctor Kajita

Finance
    Yeah, CR, you're right. Keith Smart's rotations lost us the game. I would have to look at the game log, but he basically took out the lineup that got the team the lead all at once (key sub was D. Wright for Udoh). Okaaaaay.

We can't blame Monta for that loss. He was extremely efficient.

19. philsmith75

philsmith75 JBB JustBBall Member

Glad to see someone else notices Battier. That guy is one of my favorite players in the league.

With a guy like Monta though, he sees that he's shooting 15-20 (which is mind-blowing, I get it), and he says he does not have to do the things that Battier does, the simple pass, the key defensive stop, run down the rebound in the corner. That's what kills me. Monta does not realize that Monta + Battier = MJ. That's how good MJ was.

But no, guys like AI, Monta, think that scoring is enough.

20. AlleyOop

Okay, well first off, Monta looked like Super Man tonight against the Kings. What the hell, he was plain awesome. So it's making it hard to hold my stance here. By no means do I want to just trade him to move him. But I still think Iggy would be awesome here at the SG.

I like that you bring up Battier in this thread, because he's a guy I always point to. In my Maggette discussions, I always said: "half the stats, twice the player." Battier will get you half the points of Maggette, and he'll be twice as helpful to your team. His impact is measured in wins/losses. He's the kind of guy every championship team has.

But I liken Iggy to Battier. Awesome defense, smart player, doesn't score 20 a night but contributes in so many areas, the net impact is worth more than the PPG...