Trade Rumors Thread

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Rastapopoulos, Jan 22, 2023.

1. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

What's to keep Grant from leaving?

2. Shaboid

Shaboid Well-Known Member

Cronin overpaying him.

HailBlazers likes this.
  3. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

I think Jovic is a piece I wasn't really looking at and if Joe/Schmitz are really high on him, he could get the job done along with Oladipo with another if attached which is if we are trading Ant and want someone who could compete with Shae for the starting spot and overall minutes at SG. You would have to really like Jovic though but they aren't doing Jovic and a first. They might do Oladipo, Dedmond and a first but unless that first was immediately flipped in another trade, I don't think Dame would be too keen on that trade.

Idog1976 likes this.
  4. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

I don't think Cronin would be keeping Grant if he didn't already have a deal in place. I would almost guarantee that Grant has the same kind of deal that Nurk and Ant had last season. Grant probably wants the five years that he can't get right now and both sides have probably already agreed to a number that none of us will love but will be hard to completely melt down about.

Edit: Something I think we've learned about Cronin is that he gets things planned out in advance. I'm quite sure Nurk and Ant were promised and agreed to their deals before we went into full tank and I'm pretty sure that Detroit agreed to taking either the Lakers pick if they didn't make the draft or the pick they eventually took and that deal was only put on hold because Jerami would have hurt the tank.

Tince likes this.
  5. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

but you just did...Hart for Oladipo & Jovic? I'm sorry, but I consider that selling Hart cheaply

If Miami really wants him then Hart for Caleb Martin + Dedmon + a future pick; then route Dedmon to a 3rd team unless you're worried about Nurk's injury history

or something like this:

upload_2023-1-25_9-32-3.png

if Miami wouldn't do it, then fine...fuck em and their desire for Hart

BBert likes this.
  6. PCmor7

PCmor7 Generational Poster

Saying this for years
    I don't really have a horse in this race but I'll point out that both can be true. You're measuring Grant individually against a team as a combination and a construct. One of the things about a team is how it all fits together, and the combination seldom equals the sum of the parts.

7. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

I had their 1st rounder in there as well. Jovic and a 1st for Hart is decent value, IMO.

8. wizenheimer

I know it's against what we've seen from the Vulcans, but I really wonder about the prevailing opinion that Portland can't afford Grant + Hart next season

start with the 'fact' that if the Blazers stay under the tax this season, their repeater tax clock is completely re-set. Meaning the earliest that Portland would potentially be liable for repeater tax is the 2026-27 season. That's the season AFTER the Simons and Nurkic contracts expire

then, add another assumption based upon the fact that the tax level from last season to this season increased by nearly 13 million. The current tax line is 150.3M. So then, for the sake of argument, assume next season's tax line is 160M

Portland's guaranteed payroll next season:

Damian Lillard $45,640,084
    Anfernee Simons $24,107,143
    Jusuf Nurkić $16,875,000
    Gary Payton II $8,715,000
    Shaedon Sharpe $6,313,800
    Nassir Little $6,250,000
    Trendon Watford $1,836,096
    Jabari Walker $1,719,864
    Andrew Nicholson $2,844,430
    Eric Bledsoe $1,300,000
    Didi Louzada $268,032

about 116M (before any roster charges)

say Grant signs for 30M, first year, and Hart 15M, first year. Blazers are about 1M over the tax line. They'd still need to sign some players to near vet minimum deals. Players like Eubanks. That would put Portland about 7-9M over the tax line. But an easy fix for that potentially being a multi-year issue is trading Payton before next year's trade deadline for an expiring contract

now, if you're going to argue why would Portland go into the tax for that team because it's not a contender, OK. Or that Grant+Hart first year will be more than 45M...maybe OK but I'm skeptical. But the Blazers can afford to re-sign both Grant and Hart if they want

9. wizenheimer

ok...didn't see the 1st

but here's the issue I see: the thinking that the Blazers can't afford Hart next season, but could afford the 12M of Oladipo + Jovic? How big a contract do people expect Hart to get?

10. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

Are people saying we CAN'T afford him? I saw your previous post as well. I haven't seen mentions that we cant afford him.

11. wizenheimer

I've seen it a bunch of times the last few months...maybe not in this thread, but for sure people have suggested it

what exactly is the appeal of Jovic by the way...just being tall?

12. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

I'll take your word for it, I haven't seen any mention that we actually can't afford him. Unless it was geared towards a should we be paying that, but not that we actually CAN'T.
    As for Jovic, he's a flyer prospect to go along with the draft pick. He was just recently a 1st round pick, only 19 years old, and is supposed to be a skilled passer for a big, and got comparisons to Hedo, Gallinari, and other similar players. Will he get there? It's always unlikely, but he's still an intriguing prospect.

13. Shaboid

14. wizenheimer

it's been mentioned in the Grant + Hart context of not being able to afford both

as for Jovic, OK. His stats are pretty bad, but he's 19 and has only played 204 minutes in 15 games, so stats are pretty meaningless

15. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

I like how in the article, the guy says how the Bulls will just be waiting on Bal's next injury, but then, we can wait on Ball and he'll pair great with Simons! So one team knows he's injury prone, but the next team somehow misses that? Also, the Bulls owe their 2025 pick(most likely) to S.A>, as he mentions in the article. Which makes including the 2026 pick illegal.
    Edit: Oh, and Lillard can't be moved until the offseason anyways.

16. wizenheimer

BBert likes this.
  17. Shaboid

I thought it was dumb too, but people in this forum are saying "Trade Dame". Are we just taking a handful of draft picks for him?

18. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

And it appears Bulls fans think they're getting ripped off in this trade.

More proof that most fans tend to over-value their own players.

BBert likes this.
  19. CJ_is_Gone

CJ_is_Gone Well-Known Member

Meh... I don't know about this.

Maybe if Portland could include GBIII and get back Orlando Robinson (currently on a TW contract). I think a followup trade with GPII would be in order still.

20. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    Exactly. More like a "senile grandfather's package".

BBert likes this.