Trade Scenarios?

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by Custodianrules2, Apr 17, 2006.

1. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

Kwan's right, plus Chandler's not a true center IMO so he needs an 18 foot jumpshot like most starting power forwards have now. Otherwise, the centers that aren't strong enough to bang inside won't get the dunk or tip-in opportunities if they get shoved off the block constantly. We need a real center that's at least 260 lbs that can eat space and get underneath that rim but won't move and jump like Foyle does.
    I'd actually like to see our starting center win a tipoff once in an 82 game season and create separation by throwing some weight around.

2. Mister Jennings

Mister Jennings JBB JustBBall Member

What would you give up for Zydrunus Illgaskaus?

Murph and #9?
    Murph and Monta?
    Murph and Biedrins?
    Something else?

3. boogiescott

boogiescott JBB JustBBall Member

here is a move the warriors should consider and both teams might go for.... in other words ..... an actual legit possibility...and the contracts match up

fisher for james posey

shaq..... made a few comments about bringing him over this season.... they never did replace damon jones.... fisher is more or less the same player.... and fisher would fit in under riley

posey - would provide us solid defense either backing or starting at sf...

it really seems like a good move for both teams...

i would also like to see the warriors package pietrus with foyle for.... um anything....

i saw this suggestion on another site....

also suggested was trading pietrus straight up for calderon in toronto.... to back up baron and ellis

what do you guys think?

4. boogiescott

boogiescott JBB JustBBall Member

as for Z ...i think the reason he is on the block in cleveland is because he doesnt fit in with their up tempo.... running game.... and that said. i dont see him fitting in with the warriors either if our intention is to become a running type of team.

5. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

I wouldnt mind doing something like Murphy and Foyle for Jalen Rose, major salary dump. It would leave us with an inexperienced frontcourt but we're not making the playoffs with Murphy/Foyle so why not. We can get a cheap vet by trading Pietrus or our 9th pick.

Fisher for Posey isn't too bad, good for both teams if Miami would accept. If Miami is interested in Murphy we could ship Murphy and Fisher for Posey, and Antoine Walker or Posey, Haslem, and Doleac or Posey and Jason Williams. I wouldn't like getting Walker but hes only got 3 years left on his deal and he has a decent post game. Jason Williams is a pure PG with 2 years left on his deal but he might complain about not getting much time with Baron. Hes also proven he can shoot from 3 well with Miami.

Ilgauskus is intriuging. Hes got a big long contract but hes a good scorer, rebounder, and shot blocker. It doesn't look like we're going to run as long as Monty is around so he'd be a nice fit. I wouldn't trade for him though unless we get rid of Foyle. Would Cleveland do Ilgauskus, Snow, Newble for Foyle, Fisher, Pietrus? We could swap picks too, they have the 25th pick which may be good enough to get Farmar, Shawne Williams, Saer Sene, etc. They downgrade their C but upgrade PG and backup swingman. Warriors get a legit starting C, pure backup PG who plays defense, and a good perimiter defender in Newble.

6. Custodianrules2

I don't think we should become a running team because we don't have the right pieces... i.e. mediocre small forward, unathletic center/power forward duo, Baron always getting hurt. I think first and foremost we should look towards balance so we can make adjustments from the bench and control the tempo a lot easier. If we want to go fast we can go fast with Biedrins at C and Pietrus at SF, if we want to go slow then we can go slow with Dfish, Ike, Jrich and Dunleavy. If we're only a running team, we better hope scoring is effortless. But we've got no stars on this team or any great perimeter threats that can shoot, drive, pass. If anyone thinks Baron can shoot, check out of his games where he's shooting 5 of 17 constantly. That's not shooting. Then what about the other part of shooting which means free throw shooting. What good is it if Baron/Pietrus/Jrich/Biedrins gets fouled in the act of shooting and they can't convert free throws? Too many guys on this team just try run when there's nothing there and then they settle for threes or bad shots because they're not executing off the ball or getting inside.

About the Z trade. When we've got Foyle... Z. Illgauskus would be a welcome sight. Not sure if he would help us get to the playoffs, but at least he tries to block shots if he's in the area, as opposed to getting out of the way and hoping someone else will do it. i.e. Jrich/Dunleavy... I swear those guys average more blocked shots than Murphy. Plus, I like Z as a scoring option better because of his inside footwork and outside shooting. The question is his defense suitable and can he hold up health-wise?
    The Ike/Z offense would be pretty killer...

I would like to have James Posey... Sending Murphy to New York would be just cruel [​IMG] Not sure why NY would do it, but it'd be funny if they did because they'd have even more expensive glut of players they probably won't use. See Jerome James and their 2-3 other power forwards.

7. Custodianrules2

BTW I think Jrich is the most versatile player we have for a shooting guard. We've played up tempo and he gets it done in transition (hustles his ass off noticeably). Then when we play half court offense, he's Johnny on the spot with the long two or deep two and he's always looking to move off the ball and plays hard on defense (as opposed to how he normally plays D when running). After that... I'm not so sure because we've got some guys that are just way too flawed, too slow in transition and they're not good shooters or they're not good shooters creating by themselves.

8. AlleyOop

AlleyOop JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Run BJM:</div><div class="quote_post"> I wouldn't like getting Walker but hes only got 3 years left on his deal and he has a decent post game. </div>

I love the thought of trading Fisher & Murphy but oh gawd the thought of getting Antoine "whiny baby poopy pants" Walker makes me cringe. I'm so sick of his tired ass whining - this guy is a spoiled brat. No way.

9. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Run BJM:</div><div class="quote_post">I wouldnt mind doing something like Murphy and Foyle for Jalen Rose, major salary dump. It would leave us with an inexperienced frontcourt but we're not making the playoffs with Murphy/Foyle so why not. We can get a cheap vet by trading Pietrus or our 9th pick.

Fisher for Posey isn't too bad, good for both teams if Miami would accept. If Miami is interested in Murphy we could ship Murphy and Fisher for Posey, and Antoine Walker or Posey, Haslem, and Doleac or Posey and Jason Williams. I wouldn't like getting Walker but hes only got 3 years left on his deal and he has a decent post game. Jason Williams is a pure PG with 2 years left on his deal but he might complain about not getting much time with Baron. Hes also proven he can shoot from 3 well with Miami.

</div>
    I think Antoine Walker as another bad free throw shooting guy who settles for too many threes would be bad for this franchise. But there are times when he plays up to his all-star status with his mostly all-around play. What about this?

Dfish + Pietrus for Antoine Walker + Dorrell Wright.

Essentially, we get a Mickael Pietrus-like scorer in Dorrell Wright and a big small forward/power forward that will show up more times than Dunleavy at create his own offense better (at the cost of low %'s of course). Of course Toine gotta lose some weight!

On second thought... I don't like it. But it does look mildly attractive on paper because of the number of "star" players:

C: (Starting position up for grabs, hell I'd even play Antoine Walker here since he's a better rebounder than Foyle and better free throw shooter than Biedrins...) choices: Foyle/Biedrins/Taft
    PF: Ike Diogu/Troy Murphy/Zarko
    SF: Mike Dunleavy Jr./Antoine Walker
    SG: Jason Richardson/Dorrell Wright
    PG: Baron Davis/Monta Ellis/2nd round (Daniel Gibson/Guillermo Diaz/Will Blalock/b.a.p. 2nd round)

That's one bad free throw shooting, 3-point casting team right there...

And I'd be still worried about guys getting beat on defense since Antoine Walker and everybody else is a bit too slow for their positions. Unless they really hustle on every play like Brian Cardinal.

10. CohanHater

CohanHater JBB JustBBall Member

Enterprise Architect
    Pietrus would make more sense to dump if we got Zidrunas (because he'd never figure out where to be). Murphy might actually thrive with a post player than can pass. So if you can upgrade the 3 with a defensive stopper by dumping Fisher and Foyle somehow, I would actually say that Murphy fits in that team (Did I actually just say that????)

11. AlleyOop

Yeah, you did, but you prefaced it by saying that we could somehow get a defensive stopper by dumping Foyle and Fisher, so you won't be held liable at all, as far as sanity goes [​IMG]

12. AlleyOop

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting AlleyOop:</div><div class="quote_post">I'm just not at all impressed with Zach Randolph. I don't know him personally, but something about this guy doesn't sit right with me.</div>

Car, Guns Taken From Blazers' Randolph
    Trail Blazers forward Zach Randolph had a car and two loaded guns taken by police after an incident in downtown Portland early Thursday morning. Randolph was a passenger in a Dodge Magnum he owns that was involved in speed racing at 3:15 a.m. on Southwest Broadway. Taquan Portis, 22, who was driving the Dodge, was cited for speed racing, careless driving and failure to obey a traffic signal. He is scheduled to appear in court July 6. ... Police, aware of Randolph's permit, asked him if he had a gun in the car, and he said he did. However, when Portis and Randolph were asked to provide keys to the car so police could perform an inventory and give the gun to Randolph before towing the vehicle, Portis and Randolph both said they did not have a key. -- http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian...4210.xml&coll=7

13. Mister Jennings

Mister Jennings JBB JustBBall Member

from Chris Sheridan's chat today

Clark (Philly): Chris, do you think Philly would actually trade A.I. for Josh Smith and a No. 1 pick? Also, do you think the team will move both AI and Webber this offseason? Thanks.

Chris Sheridan: (4:52 PM ET ) I've been hearing a lot of AI talk throughout the playoffs, and I wouldn't be shocked if he ended up in Golden State by the time it's all said and done. The Warriors will be as active, if not more, than any team on the trade market this summer, but finding a GS-Philly trade that makes sense for both teams ain't easy. The Sixers would want to include Webber with AI in any deal, so you;re talking about a combined salary of $39 million for those two guys. Golden State could package J.Rich, Murphy and Foyle, but that would lave them with Baron and AI together in the backcourt, and Philly would be stuck with both Foyle and Dalembert. Now if you throw in a third team that makes it more palpable for everyone involved, maybe it starts to make more sense. But the bottom line is that AI is available.

14. AlleyOop

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Mister Jennings:</div><div class="quote_post">from Chris Sheridan's chat today

Clark (Philly): Chris, do you think Philly would actually trade A.I. for Josh Smith and a No. 1 pick? Also, do you think the team will move both AI and Webber this offseason? Thanks.

Chris Sheridan: (4:52 PM ET ) I've been hearing a lot of AI talk throughout the playoffs, and I wouldn't be shocked if he ended up in Golden State by the time it's all said and done. The Warriors will be as active, if not more, than any team on the trade market this summer, but finding a GS-Philly trade that makes sense for both teams ain't easy. The Sixers would want to include Webber with AI in any deal, so you;re talking about a combined salary of $39 million for those two guys. Golden State could package J.Rich, Murphy and Foyle, but that would lave them with Baron and AI together in the backcourt, and Philly would be stuck with both Foyle and Dalembert. Now if you throw in a third team that makes it more palpable for everyone involved, maybe it starts to make more sense. But the bottom line is that AI is available.</div>

Woa -- AI and Baron together? That would either be an unbelievable hoop-fest, or an uninspiring ball-hog-a-thon. Interesting gamble.

15. AnimeFANatic

AnimeFANatic JBB JustBBall Member

No way would anyone do that.

16. Run BJM

More realistically we'd send Baron and have A.I. run the point alongside J-Rich. On the one hand you get A.I., one of my all-time favorite players but will he really help the team more than a healthy Baron? Then again can Baron stay healthy? Baron's health could be just as much of a concern than A.I.'s age.

I think we'd be more likely to make the playoffs a few years down the road with a lineup of Baron/J-Rich/Dun(?)/Ike/Biedrins than with an aging A.I./J-Rich/Dun/Ike/Biedrins. I just think Baron could easily get 10+ apg with 2 bigs who can catch the ball and finish at the rim while A.I. would be on the decline in a few seasons and he was never one to really make his teammates better. Right now I'd rather make a trade for a decent C, not a huge difference maker but a dirty work guy on the inside like Nazr Mohammed.

Slightly off-topic but if anyone keeps up with the workouts sheduled on Draft Express and Hoopshype you'll notice that the Warriors haven't worked anyone out since like May and only have one workout scheduled on the 23rd with Shawne Williams. Perhaps we've got a deal to ship off the 9th with one of our contracts or trading chips for an upgrade in the frontcourt.

17. AlleyOop

Does anyone know how the 9th pick is assessed as far as trade value and cap space? Can you trade a pick straight up for a $3 mil. contract? Does it count towards incoming cap?

18. Run BJM

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting AlleyOop:</div><div class="quote_post">Does anyone know how the 9th pick is assessed as far as trade value and cap space? Can you trade a pick straight up for a $3 mil. contract? Does it count towards incoming cap?</div>
    The 9th pick has no dollar value but we could just draft a player for another team and trade them to the team in return for something of equal salary. You can't trade the pick straight up for a player unless you have the cap space to absorb the contract without exceeding the cap.

19. AlleyOop

Okay, thanks. But I thought, according to NBA trade rules, the total value of the respective deals needs to be within like hundred thousand dollars of eachother. So, if you wanted to trade Foyle's $7 mil contract, you had to take back contracts which total between like 6.9 -- 7.1 million or so. But maybe that's just for teams that are over the cap. I guess teams under the cap don't have to follow that rule?

20. Run BJM

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting AlleyOop:</div><div class="quote_post">Okay, thanks. But I thought, according to NBA trade rules, the total value of the respective deals needs to be within like hundred thousand dollars of eachother. So, if you wanted to trade Foyle's $7 mil contract, you had to take back contracts which total between like 6.9 -- 7.1 million or so. But maybe that's just for teams that are over the cap. I guess teams under the cap don't have to follow that rule?</div>
    For some reason that sounds familiar but in the new CBA the traded salaries need to be within 25% of each other. For example, we can trade Foyle, whose 06-07 salary is $8,125,000, for a player worth as low as $6,093,750 or as high as $10,156,250.