Trades that "move the needle"

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by BoomChakaLaka, Nov 18, 2013.

1. OneLifeToLive

OneLifeToLive Well-Known Member

And none of them have any value. Therefore to bring anything in, you have to break up a good thing so far in the season.

2. BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94

BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94 AWOL

Exactly. The team seems to really like each other and no need to blow up good chemistry.

3. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

Yeah I don't see us doing a midseason trade. One thing I liked about trader Bob is he always said he preferred to not do any trades during the season. Its best to give guys training camp to settle into their roles and the coaches time to construct strategies. Now if a team knocks our socks off with a deal or is giving away a talent as when we brought in Camby or Crash sure we should consider it. But the trade has to be a major upgrade where we get the clearly superior talents. It's unlikely another team is interested in that, hence it's very unlikely we make a move.

4. Fez Hammersticks

Fez Hammersticks スーパーバッド Zero Cool

Phone Psychic
    I'm shocked Denny hasn't invaded this thread with Carlos Boozer yet.

5. EL PRESIDENTE

EL PRESIDENTE Username Retired in Honor of Lanny.

Tristan Thompson is the future, bitches!

6. mook

mook The 2018-19 season was the best I've seen

Buy a recipe binder at CookbookPeople.com
    Not really, because a Lillard-lite would make for an incredibly porous back court. Matthews is a much better fit next to Lillard than another Lillard-type. The shot creation, perimeter shooting and ball handling are all being handled perfectly well by Williams/Batum/Matthews. A Lillard-lite is always welcome, but much of his benefit would be duplicative of what we already have.

What we really need is somebody who can defend the paint at an elite or near-elite level. If we could get that guy without giving up Lopez, then suddenly you've got 48 minutes of high quality center production. Asik and Sanders are the only two guys I can see who might be available, and given Sanders' controversies and injuries I can see us preferring Asik. But assuming Sanders recovers I'd take either.

7. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

No trades need to be made.

That is all.

8. Blazinaway

Blazinaway Well-Known Member

I would like to add another big, either Asik or Hawes and we keep Lopez, and I think we might have a shot to get Hawes for Leonard/Freeland and one of Claver or Barton, Asik may take CJ and change, neither of those trade changes our current totation since none of those guys is playing at all

9. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

Hawes is worth more than that. He's pretty damn good, has a good outside shot. A little rusty down low at times, but it'll take more than Leonard/Freeland. Plus, I really want a guy like Freeland on this team.

10. Blazinaway

Blazinaway Well-Known Member

maybe, keep in mind he is an expiring after this yr and perhaps not in Sixers long term plans

11. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    if by Tristan Thompson you mean Larry Sanders then I whole-heartedly agree :)

12. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

I would be shocked if we make an in-season trade. And I'm torn as to whether that's good or bad. I suppose for this season I think management will see it as too risky to mess with something that's working (unless what's working stops working). But I also think that the only way we're going to take the next step is through a major trade (no cap space, no draft pick). We need to be ready to make the "right" trade whenever it becomes available, and not get wrapped up in wanting to preserve the moment.

With that said, the Melo trade idea is...interesting. I hate Melo. Loathe him. However, under the right circumstances I can see the sense behind the trade. Pairing his low-post game with LMA's perimeter game would make our offense so much more potent. We'd have a legitimate threat to score near the hoop and get to the FT line, which is imperative in the Playoffs. Having Melo in the post would also open up the perimeter even more. But we'd need a coach who could get Melo to change - to pass the ball out of the double-teams and to play defense on 80% of possessions (nobody plays 100%). Unfortunately the only person who I think Melo would potentially respond to is someone else I also loathe - Phil Jackson.

With PJ coaching a line-up of Lillard, Shump, Melo, LMA, Lopez I think that puts us in discussion for WCF - IF Melo changes his game. And that's the rub - I don't know that I'm willing to bet Nic/Wes/Robinson on that. I might be more inclined if CJ was swapped in for Wes, and Leonard for Robinson. ;)

13. santeesioux

santeesioux Just keep on scrolling by

Trolling the internet
    [​IMG]

14. Fez Hammersticks

Phone Psychic
    Something to ponder - Dirk dropping some knowledge, an oldie but relevant :

Dame is that guy.

LMA is that guy.

Wes and Batum are high-level role players.

I know people will look at his average summer league but CJ has that chance to be that type of scorer. Before his injury he was the most efficient scorer in all of college basketball with advanced stats nearly identical to Lillard's at Weber State.

He clearly didn't have a rhythm in Vegas, he was out for nearly an entire year! It takes time and I suspect it'll take time for him to adjust when he comes back from this latest injury.

But for the sake of this thread, who realistically out there fits Dirk's 3-scorer concept?

HailBlazers likes this.
  15. HailBlazers

HailBlazers RipCity

Done. Great find.

16. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Didn't Dirk say "2 - 3"? Seems like we have that.

17. ponderguy

ponderguy Member

having Bargs man the middle is worse than JJ. They really need Chandler back and a better PG than cupcake felton

18. HailBlazers

HailBlazers RipCity

Seems that way.

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2013/11/20/how-sustainable-is-portlands-hot-start/

19. ponderguy

ponderguy Member

I love Melo. Pairing him with Damian would be awesome, Melo had some of his best years playing next to Billups in Denver. However the trade proposal makes no sense. I'd say a package of LMA, Batum and Wes + a future 1st for Melo, Shumpert and Bargnani would be fair. We'd have to give up a large chunk of the teams core but Melo is a MVP caliber player and is one of the few players in the league who can look Durant and LeBron in the eye and match them shot for shot. Melo isn't a consistent defender but he when he needs to he can lock his man down and is the most versatile scorer in the league. He can score in any way from any spot on the court. Shumpert would be another good young player to add in, and with more playing time Robinson could flourish next to Melo.

20. Fez Hammersticks

Phone Psychic
    No.

Ps.

Ip:minnesota