Rumor Trail Blazers players getting frustrated with Chauncey Billups coaching style?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by BigGameDamian, Dec 13, 2021.

1. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    Yeah....probably not productive to even try and have a discussion with those people.

2. Haakzilla

Haakzilla Well-Known Member

SEOWebDesignLLC.com
    ...totally unrelated to the OP here, but I think it interesting that Lillard is labeled to have an elite BBIQ along with Billups -- and maybe this deserves its own thread too @Rastapopoulos? -- but I've never got the sense that his BBIQ was "elite" :dunno: I can't be the only one thinking this?

3. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

Dame's BBIQ on the offensive end is high. He tends to play hero ball after hitting teammates who are wide open, going to the hoop, under the hoop or open from three and watching them blow what he had made easy for him. Calling his own number has worked in the past and it's likely to work again. Right now his shot isn't falling but he has supreme confidence that it will again so he's using the old adage that shooters shoot through a slump.

The only thing I've ever thought Dame had a problem with mentally was denial of the negative. He denies that his teammates don't fit with him or aren't that good and this season he's denied that he's too injured to be effective. That denial has been instrumental in him overcoming the odds so I don't really hold it against him and think that we need people above him to trade away the players that he won't accept aren't right around him and make him sit or even get surgery.

4. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

prior to this season, i feel like dame could manipulate and read defenses better than anyone this side of chris paul. he's also consistently been the best P&R PG in the league before this year. takes a lot of IQ to get to that level given his size limitations, offensively anyway.

Orion Bailey and Haakzilla like this.
  5. riverman

riverman Writing Team

So why aren't we using the pick and roll under Chauncey much?

6. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

it's a good question. Chauncey has admitted that while our offense was very potent, it was also very predictable. Also, Dame's shot is in the tank to start the season-- completely reduces his effectiveness as a P&R pg when teams aren't selling out to fight over picks to guard him.

7. riverman

riverman Writing Team

My thought is we're turning over the ball trying to pass in traffic and then hesitate to thread the needle after so many bad passes....our passes don't have much zip on them

8. stampedehero

stampedehero Make Your Day, a Doobies Day Staff Member Moderator

Part Time Building Inspector
    Watch this: When the season is over and if we don't make a playoff berth, most of you will want him fired.