Event Trent Jr and Simons to the G-League Baldwin Recalled

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by TorturedBlazerFan, Jan 20, 2019.

1. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    Trent is making things interesting.

TorturedBlazerFan and TBpup like this.
  2. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

There are only five players averaging at least 25 points a game in the g league. Not one of them is under 22. Neither is anyone else in the top ten. Trent just turned 20.

Out of all the guys we’ve had in the g league, no one has put up more impressive numbers, and that includes our starting shooting guard. The g league is whatever, but the level of competition is better now than it was when CJ, Barton, etc were down there.

3. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

One of the main guys that covers the g league.

4. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    His production has been very impressive. I still see a lot of shots that I don't think he would be able to get off or make in the same manner against the big boys. It reminds me a bit of 'Ammo' when he was lighting it up in college and fans were having Ammo rallies in the street in hopes of drafting him. I saw a guy who could shoot the lights out but that was barely getting his shot over defenders. He was making shots with guys in his face, or clearing just enough room to get his shot off but when he got to the NBA, he was never able to adjust to the bigger/stronger/faster players.

The situations aren't completely the same as Trent is stronger now then Ammo ever was....and I hope I'm incorrect about whether or not his ability to score will translate. . But I see a few similarities.

TorturedBlazerFan and BonesJones like this.
  5. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

Billups was slobbering all over Trent in Summer league. I happen to respect his opinion too as he's has that inherent radar that knows Pro baller attributes.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
    HailBlazers, Wizard Mentor and Scalma like this.
  6. James lamphear

James lamphear Well-Known Member

Everyone gets there shot block and last night Trent got blocked at the rim about 4 times. But yes he shoots a lot down but there good shots he taking plus when your the best player on the floor you will take the most shots. His 3 pointers are catch and shoot. Plus he shooting almost 50 percent at 3 point range and almost 50 percent regular fg percentage and 86 percent at free throws line. I think his Per his over 30.2 and PIE 16.2 down there. The bottom line this kid can shoot the rock. This is 5 games over 30 points in a row.

7. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Honest question, have you actually watched Trent’s games? I’m asking because he regularly creates space.

People (not necessarily you) have this perception that you have to be agile and explosive to get your own shot off. But Trent has been taught well. He has a game that will allow him to play well into his thirties. Guys like Doncic and Ingles are similar. You watch them play and they don’t look athletic, but they can get their shot off against anybody. Brandon Roy is another example. He had more natural athleticism, but only leaned on it when he had to. Trent is more like that as well. And unlike Morrison, he’s not afraid of physicality. Give him two, three years and I think he’ll be a true inside, out player.

I just hope Olshey doesn’t trade him and it’s in Portland.

8. James lamphear

I that's what worry about other teams might want him in part of a trade. I bet every team is looking at this kid how he is playing down there.

9. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

If you watched, then you'll know Billups played with Trent sr. He stated many times in the broadcast that he knew Jr. as a kid. He's biased. Report the whole story.

10. James lamphear

He might be little biased because he knows the kid but he might also be right this kid will be good NBA player.

HailBlazers and Scalma like this.
  11. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    Id venture to guess that tbpup has at least watched the highlights, he knows his stuff too! I think both or your takes have validity its just super hard to gauge how G-league performances matches NBA performance.

TBpup and BonesJones like this.
  12. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

WTF...yeah I seen that but Im not writing a book on their long conversation. I think everyone know he played with senior but even so Billups strikes me as the kind of guy that isn't going to say something he doesn't totally believe. And, maybe he will be a bust but he's entitled to an opinion. He's been around he knows talent when he see's it, just like many in here do.
    Im not a reporter, thank God!

Scalma likes this.
  13. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Rookies usually don’t get traded unless it’s part of a blockbuster, so I’m not too worried about it.

TorturedBlazerFan likes this.
  14. twobullz

twobullz Well-Known Member

Blazers recalling Trent Jr.

15. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

Absolutely

16. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

See you next year Gary!

17. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    No imagination. All you guys are wrong as usual, because you've lost your good habits about memorizing my posts. How many times do I have tell you. Our weakness is at SF.

Remember the week Olshey lost Aldridge and signed Davis, Aminu, Vonleh, etc.? Everyone praised him while I carped that he had not found our #1 need, a SF to replace Batum, to provide roster balance countering our guard-oriented offense. Everyone told me to wait. After centuries of bitching and making everyone hate me, grasping at straws, I started posting that maybe our clueless GM could find a tall, dribbling, hot-shooting SG to play SF for us, defense be damned. Unlike you poor students, he memorizes my pearls of wisdom and marched out and signed Turner. Nice try and I'm flattered Olshey, but not quite. He kept reading me and drafted Trent.

Now Trent is Tearing it up as a SF in the minors. Start him here as a SF playing defense on fumes and maybe he'll ignite. What would we lose...the priceless minutes of Turner or the always-injured Harkless?

18. ripcityboy

ripcityboy Well-Known Member

self employed
    Don't worry, JL. This will all be solved when we trade for Otto Porter Jr.

Wizard Mentor likes this.
  19. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    Mediocre, you should always believe friends who write recommendation letters for their friends' unemployed-bum kids. No authority has scouted him longer than Gary Trent Sr. and he says

Now that I think of it, I see many similarities. Jordan shoots, it goes in. Trent Jr. shoots, it goes in. Olshey may have discovered the next Michael Jordan and who is holding him back? Evan Turner and Mo Harkless. They will go down in history as new Sam Bowies, while we ignore a Michael Jordan right under our noses.

20. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

With the blazers, tho?