Trib: Cavaliers coach sings praises of Bulls' Nikola Mirotic

Discussion in 'Chicago Bulls' started by transplant, Aug 3, 2014.

1. such sweet thunder

such sweet thunder Member Staff Member Moderator

Except that was a couple basketball generations ago. Maybe Nikola Pekovic is a better example of a player who had a lot of European success but didn't immediately light it up his rookie year. Pek put up 5.5 pets and reb and didn't really start to kill until right at the very end of his rookie season. I actually think Mirotic's game may translate a little more easily, if I'm not quite sure who is the better player

2. transplant

transplant Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

Good point. I think the international 3-point line was at something like 20.5 feet back then...that could be part of the reason for Kukoc's poor FG% in his rookie season.

Actually, looking at Kukoc's per-36 numbers for his rookie season, his 16.2pts, 5.9rebs and 1.6stls were above his career averages and his 5.0 assists per-36 was just 0.1 off his career average. Not all that bad.

3. rosenthall

rosenthall Well-Known Member

Agreed. Of course there are some loose ends that need to be tied up.....but our chances look about as good as anybody in the East. Any team with Lebron is threat to win it all. We know that. But outside of that, I don't see a team that's a huge threat to win the title. The East got a lot stronger in the middle, but it's still thin at the top. Vegas bookies currently have us as 4th most likely to win the championship, behind the Cavs, Spurs, and Thunder. We currently have 10/1 odds, and the next eastern conference team is the Pacers, who have 60/1 odds, so it looks we're running right behind Cleveland in the expectations game.

1). I wasn't championing Mirotic as starter as the absolute best idea. I'm not that confident in my convictions. I was just thinking out loud and stating that I wouldn't be surprised if it's the best move given the rest of our starting lineup.

2). When I say it might be a good idea to Boganize Mirotic I don't think it's because that's what we'd have to do in order to get him minutes. It'd be simple to use him off the bench at the 6:00 minute mark in the 1st and third quarter and play him 8 minutes at a time. That might end up being the case, and it might end up being the best way to go.

I just think a lineup with Rose/Buckets/Whoever/Noah would really benefit from having shooting at the 4 spot. And if that's the lineup that trots out on the floor to begin the games, then having Mirotic on the floor with them might be the best way to go.

It'd also be a lineup that's well suited to play to his strengths and cover his weakness. You're right that it's very unusual but that doesn't mean it's a bad idea.

No doubt the Bulls have a lot of thought to do on how to work different players into the fold. It looks like since they didn't get Carmelo they almost went in the anti-superstar direction and tried to go as deep as possible. There's definitely a minutes crunch, but that's because we have a lot of good NBA players on our roster, which wasn't the case last year.

Another way to look at it is that Thibs won't have to make nearly as many compromises in how he wants to play. I definitely got the impression that Thibs had to make quite a few Faustian bargains the last couple years to squeeze out wins.

I also think that to commit to Thibs as your coach is to commit to going 10 deep due to the way he coaches.

4. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    Our starting SG last season had a 13.5 PER. Our starting SF last season had a 12.6 PER.

The minutes crunch is at PF/C. I think at the two wing positions we're both thin and while Dunleavy is a fine shooter, he's not a scorer.

With Noah at 12.6 PPG, Jimmy at 13.1 PPG, Taj at 13 PPG, and Dunleavy at 11.3 PPG, it seems like Rose has to carry most of the load. I'm not a fan of that lineup. So I agree with rosenthall that Mirotic (or Gasol) should start, and for the same reason he says Mirotic should start, so should McBuckets.

IMO

5. transplant

It would be great if Thibodeau decides that McDermott has won a starting wing spot. That puts Dunleavy where he's supposed to be (i.e., bench wing). If they're all healthy, those 3 could probably cover about 80 of the 96 wing minutes.

While a stretch 4 with the starting unit has its advantages, so does a highly-skilled 7-foot versatile scorer/passer like Gasol.

I'm not keen on Gibson starting on this team. Though his offense has improved, particularly his post moves, he's still weak at finding the open man on the double-team. I don't want to stop the ball with the first unit.

6. Bullsville

Bullsville Intelligent Bulls Fan

Sportswriter
    I agree.

Just because Gibson doesn't start, that doesn't mean he can't be a valuable piece of a championship team. Ginobili doesn't start, McHale didn't start for many years. Dave Cowens didn't start for much of his career.

7. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    As a bench player, he was a candidate for 6th man of the year. As a starter, he'd be pretty far down the list. Behind guys like Love, Griffin, Aldridge, Dirk, Milsap, Bosh, Duncan, Ibaka, Melo, LeBron, and even Shawn Marion, etc.

8. kukoc4ever

kukoc4ever Let's win a ring! Staff Member Moderator

As the 'ol sayin' goes, "its not who starts, its who finishes!"

In the 4/5 logjam, who is going to get the minutes and who is going to finish.

I posted my minutes distribution guess. I also would guess that Gibson finishes.

Boozer didn't like not finishing. It was a blow to his ego. But, he was on his way out. Mirotic and Gasol are on their way in. I wonder how they will handle it.

Big part of NBA coaching is managing the egos. Its going to be quite the tap dance for Thibs.

Who do y'all think will get the most minutes and who will be finishing?

9. kukoc4ever

No, it could be a very good idea. Rose - Doug - Jimmy - Mirotic - Noah seems pretty balanced, assuming that Mirotic can play well in the NBA.

10. transplant

Pretty timely article for our little Kukoc-Mirotic comparison.

More at the link.

11. Denny Crane

Never lost a case

12. TomBoerwinkle#1

TomBoerwinkle#1 Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I certainly hope Mirotec is a better all around player than Toni, who was ok and got glory from a couple of clutch shots but played defense like a YMCA B league men's league tall socks short short Milton.

13. kukoc4ever

Hinrich > Kukoc ?

14. TomBoerwinkle#1

TomBoerwinkle#1 Administrator Staff Member Administrator

15. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

That could happen yes, or we could bring Mirotic off of the bench and reign 3's in the second unit.

Our bigs might wreak havoc on teams no matter who starts

16. such sweet thunder

I'll agree that there isn't really a minutes dilemma. But Taj not being worried about his next contract? I would be worried if I were him. Guys like Kenneth Faried are getting Team USA invites and accolades, when Taj is a true, legitimate, two-way player. I'd be pissed.

17. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Despite singing Gasol and Mirotic, I look for Gibson to build on what he did last year.

18. Bullsville

Bullsville Intelligent Bulls Fan

Sportswriter
    Taj was selected for the Select Team for the 2012 Olympics after playing 20.4 minutes for the Bulls, and for last year's Team USA mini-camp (as was Faried) after playing 22.4 minutes for the Bulls.

He was also 2nd to Jamal in 6th Man of the Year voting, so I'm quite sure that teams and executives around the league know what he brings to the table. Losing minutes to Gasol shouldn't hurt his $$$ value one bit IMHO.

19. kukoc4ever

:cool:

20. such sweet thunder

I feel like you're under the impression that we agree on Gibson's value when we actually don't. I think he was the best player on the Bulls last year, an allstar caliber talent, not a sixth man of the year type player. I look at Gibson as a guy whose stats are getting killed by playing in Thib's system. His rebounding numbers and blocks are artificially low because he's caught chasing guards all over the court; his composite numbers are artificially low because he doesn't start; and his offensive numbers are crushed by the fact that the Bulls rarely get easy shots and turn every game into a grind. (Compare this with a guy like Faried and who I see as having inflated stats across the board due to the way the Nuggets play.)