Politics Trump just gutted the law that saved American bald eagles from extinction

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by SlyPokerDog, Aug 13, 2019.

1. MARIS61

MARIS61 Real American

retired Yankee
    This has nothing whatsoever to do with allowing clear-cutting and/or the building of shopping malls on any public land, forested or otherwise.

2. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    Well, there are at least three nest I could see on my way into where I am anchored right now. Beautiful in here, about three quarter of a mile back up a slough off the Columbia, across from Puget Island.
    I see no threat these days to the Bald Eagle or the Osprey. They are all around most places I go up here in the North West. They seem to be doing fine. The threat that damn near did them in is pretty much a thing of the past. The law does need to be revisted.
    So does the law that pasted a year later, protecting marine mammals. Holy hell, the environment is overrun with Sea Lions. There never was a shortage, but geez, now there are more than the fish. We need to import some Orcas that know how about eating
    Sea lions, perhaps even on open season on the buggers. The Indians used to hunt them but only are permitted a few in places like Neah Bay and Quinault. Dang! Smoked salmon marinated in salt brine of Sea Lion oil is excellent!

Btw, bass a jumping all round here, quite a place to park and watch. Did you know Bald Eagles mostly hunt fish? I watch one snatch one up just about 2 hours ago.

3. MARIS61

MARIS61 Real American

retired Yankee
    Only Congress has the power to sell off public land, and they've been doing it yearly since LBJ's time.

4. MARIS61

MARIS61 Real American

retired Yankee
    If you want to protect America's environment and animals, even humans, you have to have zero population growth, which can only be attained by completely ceasing immigration and enacting 100% infallible border security while limiting the allowed number of children to match the current death rate.

If you are not fully supportive of these steps, you really don't give a shit about eagles, trees, or even your grandchildren. You're just blowing gas out of your ass.

Every square-inch of habitat used, every morsel of food or drop of water consumed, decreases the amount available to support life of any kind and pollutes the environment.

5. barfo

barfo triggered obsessive commie pinko Staff Member Global Moderator

Your plan is a wimpy half-measure. What we need to do to let nature recover is for all of us to leave the country entirely and never return.

America - Love it and Leave it.

barfo

6. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    I can never grasp how the liberal/progressive mind is able to generate such dichotomies, such as being for open immigration while holding more than 50% of the land in government control, at the same time restricting housing development. And yet asking for government rent controls. We do all of the above in Oregon, vast stretches of land producing nothing and contributing zilch to the school tax base, while the legislature scrambles to find funds to cover the immigrants schools per child rate of expenditure.

7. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    Time for you to lead barf!

8. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    Pretty close to Spot on!

9. riverman

riverman Writing Team

shallow responses to the current legislation against protection of public lands and endangered species..watersheds need management...logging industries know how to manage timber and keep a healthy forest...selling off wetlands and watersheds or animal habitat land that is not tillable is a bad trend...China did it and devastated an entire continent...borders are not our environmental problem no matter how much folks try to use the "look, it's a squirrel distraction"....BLM land has been sold and leased...I never stated land shouldn't be developed or managed...I said wildlife and the canopy that protects our water needs to be respected and in the case of National treasures like Yellowstone ….left the fuck alone.....the homeless in Oregon that need a place to live are wandering with grocery carts and born right the fuck here. I agree about sea lions though...they've gotten out of control.

10. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    Yes, the last time I was there, the beautiful place that I had known and took my kids to see was no more. I took my grand kids and discovered they had let the fucking place burn the hell up. In their wisdom they call it enlightened management.
    Looks like progressive government shit to me.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  11. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

Sea lions need to be killed/managed, or on the food chain in the columbia and willamette!

MarAzul likes this.
  12. CupWizier

CupWizier Well-Known Member

retired
    oh, so you want manufacturing facilities and warehousing in La Pine? Property is pretty reasonable. Toss out the regulations and start building away. Whoopee. I'll be sure to let trumpy know you are all for it.

13. Lanny

Lanny Original Season Ticket Holder "Mr. Big Shot"

Elec. & Computer Engineer OSU Computer Science PSU
    Now you do. And that's thanks to our environmental regulations that Trump is now going to gut.
    There were plenty of Bald Eagles before DDT but we all know what happened with the large scale use of DDT.
    I think most of us can tell what will happen to many species including Bald Eagles with the gutting of environmental regulations. Care to take a guess?

14. Lanny

Only a fool would live in Estacada and commute to downtown Portland. Life's too short to be spending that much time on the road.
    I've only been to Estacada once and that was to go to Vortex from my home in NW Portland. Hell of a drive.

15. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    I don’t think the changes to the regulations will be allowing DDT use.

16. Lanny

Do you think all dangers to our environment involve DDT? Tsk, tsk.

17. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    WTF!
    He did not take the ban off DDT.

18. Hoopguru

People drive it all the time Lanny it's one of the more affordable areas that young can get a mortgage.
    My business partner used to drive from Sandy Oregon to Tualatin, 1 hour each way. he would come early and leave early to beat the crazy SW portland traffic.
    This Sate is one of the worst for income as a percentage of housing cost. And not everyone can afford to live where we do.
    Now that many people can work from home location isn't as critical.

19. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    Hell, I can remember riding into Estacada on a loggin Truck to get patched up when I was a riggin slinger. Nice little town. A school mate of mine was the Mayor there some years back.

20. Hoopguru

I forgot you are a retired engineer, one of those guys that are very happy siting in a cubicle all day. I worked for a Fortune 200 Company from the mid-west and the engineers were all in their own worlds.
    Great guys & gals though.

Lanny likes this.