Politics Trump signs pledge to the Republican Party

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by magnifier661, Sep 3, 2015.

1. rasheedfan2005

rasheedfan2005 Well-Known Member

The beauty about polls is they are fairly easy to manipulate. Want repubs to look good? Target well to do neighborhoods. Want democrats to appear in the lead? Call the hood.

2. rasheedfan2005

rasheedfan2005 Well-Known Member

Lawl comb over

3. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    I don't think he's actually given up any leverage. From what I've read, these types of pledges aren't legally binding. You can say that he'd "look bad" if he reneged on it, but it's become fairly clear that Trump doesn't care about what the establishment considers gauche. And, obviously, Trump would come up with a justification, like "I signed that pledge in good faith, but the party didn't act in good faith towards me because of X, Y and Z, so they abridged the agreement, not me, freeing me from it." No matter how flimsy that X, Y and Z might be, it'll be plenty good enough for his supporters.

In the meantime, though, it circumvents the threat of not being on some of the primary ballots, as a few states were considering not allowing candidates who didn't sign a pledge onto the ballot (which is within the rights of state parties to do).

4. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

[​IMG]

5. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
  6. Further

Further Guy

Stuff doer
    Dems are going to have a big problem if they let Hillary run away with the nomination. If our VP ends up running, my guess is he will end up beating Hillary. Hillary's friends don't even really like her. I would vote for her vs any of the Republicans I see running, but I'd be holding my nose while voting.

7. DaLincolnJones

DaLincolnJones Well-Known Member

I wish that you were so prescient. I truly feel that this country has slid to the point that even if the Ds back a bag of old cat shit, they will win.

8. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    Biden is a clown. Gore was and is not enthusiastic about politics. It's Clinton vs. Sanders, no other Democrats.

Clinton will win, but needs to burnish a more energetic image. She's old and tired. Hope I die before I get old.

9. Further

Further Guy

Stuff doer
    Well, a lot of that has to do with how republicans have marginalized Hispanics and Women as well as some other minority groups. I'm not arguing if the Republicans were correct or not here (we can debate that elsewhere) but it's at least perceived by almost 60% of women and a vast majority of the growing Hispanic community that Republicans are just advocates for rich white men. And since the Hispanic numbers are growing faster than the elderly whites, I also see this trend continuing. After last presidential election, so many of the Republican strategists were saying that for the Republicans to take back the Whitehouse they would need to change their stances on immigration and on many Women's issues. That's why Jeb Bush was looked at as a viable candidate to win over the Dems, because he had more measured stances in those areas. But Trump and the majority of the other Republican candidates just aren't willing to bend on their stances. I disagree with many of their stances on Women's and Hispanic issues, but I actually respect that they aren't budging just because it means they won't get elected.

10. DaLincolnJones

DaLincolnJones Well-Known Member

I dont get it.

Marginalized Hispanics and women and other minority groups?

Such blanket statements are straight out of the left and have resonance with the those that promote division as they are meant to. To further break this down, promoting following the laws of this land by actually securing the borders is the only semi valid point. Where is the substance to these claims of "womens issues"? Romney says "Binders of women" and somehow the right hates the fairer sex? FFS, hyperbole at its finest. It is easy to say that after the last election, some pointed to the GOP needing to become democrat light, but with the resonance that the conservative right has displayed, that is not the will of the party.

What will guarantee the win for the left is again combining those who ride the gravy train.

11. Further

Further Guy

Stuff doer
    The perception exists regardless of if you think it's justified. The Republicans shutting down many women's and family health facilities because one of the services they provide are counciling options that include abortion, or centers that offer abortion services. That's one example, and even if you don't think this is against women, the majority of women disagree with you.

Even if it's just a marketing ploy by the leftists, they are winning that part of the battle. By the same token, the republicans are winning the battle for the male vote. But more women vote then men.

12. magnifier661

magnifier661 B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Cracking fools in the skull
    Trump has publicly said that he supports woman health, even though they abort. Says they do so much for woman today. Maybe you have him confused with Jeb Bush

13. Further

Further Guy

Stuff doer
    He says he supports women health, everyone says that. But unless he says he supports planned parenthood or gives certain specifics how he supports women health, it will fall on deaf ears and just be more bluster. As far as my comment about Jeb, I really don't know where he stands on women issues but I recall a roundtable discussion where the pundits were saying he was more progressive on women issues. But my comment actually had more to do with Jeb being more accepted by Hispanics and not being as politically xenophobic as Trump and some of the other fellows on the right.

14. magnifier661

He has. I will find it

15. magnifier661

“They do good things,” Trump began.

“There’s two Planned Parenthoods, in a way. You have it as an abortion clinic. Now that’s actually a fairly small part of what they do, but it’s a brutal part and I’m totally against it,” Trump said.

“They also, however, service women,” Trump said, adding later, “We have to help women. A lot of women are helped. So we have to look at the positives for Planned Parenthood.”

[​IMG]
    Trump’s remarks on Planned Parenthood photo/ donkey hotey

Trump appeared on Chris Cuomo on CNN’s New Day saying that he opposes federal funding going to Planned Parenthood to pay for abortions, but that he’s OK with tax dollars going to the group to pay for other services that it provides.

“The problem that I have with Planned Parenthood is the abortion situation. It is like an abortion factory, frankly,” Trump began. “And you can’t have it. And you just shouldn’t be funding it. That should not be funded by the government, and I feel strongly about that.”

Then Cuomo asked Trump if he could support funding for other Planned Parenthood efforts, such as providing contraception to women.

“What I would do when the time came, I’d look at the individual things they do, and maybe some of the individual things they do are good,” Trump continued, with characteristic eloquence. “I know a lot of the things are bad. But certainly the abortion aspect of it should not be funded by government, absolutely.”

And he went on: “I would look at the good aspects of [Planned Parenthood], and I would also look, because I’m sure they do some things properly and good and that are good for women, and I would look at that, and I would look at other aspects also. But we have to take care of women.”

16. Further

Further Guy

Stuff doer
    even if he has, which i doubt since he would lose a lot of followers for supporting planned parenthood, he is still perceived as less than, in that area. once you get labeled, it becomes much harder to shed that label. And republicans have gotten the label of not standing up for women issues.

17. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

I hope Trump continues to show his support for women by giving all of his female employees paid maternity leave.

18. magnifier661

19. Further

Further Guy

Stuff doer
    Well, I'm actually surprised Trump went as far as he did. More of that will be needed to change these perceptions.

20. magnifier661

As long as they fish for tuna

SlyPokerDog likes this.