Politics Truth and respect

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by SlyPokerDog, Apr 26, 2024.

1. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

2. jonnyboy

jonnyboy Well-Known Member

It’s just impossible to take Bernie Sanders seriously. You can’t just get up and say all the right things while having the biggest blind spot when it comes to the fact your own constituents are the problem. He got bent over by the Democratic Party and chose to do their bidding instead of standing up for himself. I have zero respect for a neutered, two-faced pussy like this. His words no longer hold any weight and he knows it. He’s been defeated, politically and morally, and is luckily still allowed by his masters to go do these little speaking engagements to make a buck.

Road Ratt likes this.
  3. Phatguysrule

Phatguysrule Well-Known Member

What exactly are you suggesting he should have done?

4. Road Ratt

Road Ratt King of my own little world

Which states have the highest and lowest rates of homelessness?

New York, Vermont, and Oregon have the highest rates of homelessness across the 50 states.

https://usafacts.org/articles/which-states-have-the-highest-and-lowest-rates-of-homelessness/

Bernie's state of Vermont has some of the highest rates of homeless, per capita, in America. Mad respect Bernie!

In fact, looking at the list, one thing glaringly stands out. The number of Blue states in the top ten. Mad respect democrats!

Edit: Oregon ranks near the middle for total population of all the U.S. states, yet ranks near the top for homeless. Mad respect Oregon politicians!

5. barfo

barfo triggered obsessive commie pinko Staff Member Global Moderator

Insurrection, obviously. If he wasn't such a pussy, he would have had his mob attack the capital, like a real leader.

barfo

6. Phatguysrule

And your proposed solutions would be? You appear to be suggesting more right wing policies?

7. Road Ratt

Road Ratt King of my own little world

My point is: Words mean nothing... without action to back them up. Bernie can spout all the beautiful words that he wants. But, his words are meaningless if they aren't helping his constituents.

I would make sure corporate America paid our citizens living wages. I would keep corporate America out of our housing market so they can't raise your housing and rental costs to the point where our citizens end up on the streets. In other words: Working for all our citizens rather than just the top few wealthiest.

America needs national rent control. Rent has raised so fast the last couple of decades while wages aren't keeping pace. Yet all we get out of the democrats that I can see, so far, is banning homeless and pod farms. That is heartless imo.

Not that any of this matters. Our government won't implement any of it. As it is, pods farms seem to be Americans dystopian future.

8. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

Anti capitalist aren't exactly right wingers in my book...

9. riverman

riverman Writing Team

5,000 families lost their homes in the woods in Oregon to forest fires in one fire season when covid started...that's a lot of homeless people and politics has nothin' to do with it. Not saying Oregon doesn't have a problem but I am saying it's not all for political reasons. In some cases it's also a choice to be homeless. My late younger brother was homeless off and on due to his own gambling addictions and mounting gambling debts...a kid that grew up as my sons classmate was just found OD'd from heroin in the state park ..he had a new baby and a home but was homeless off and on due to his addiction...he was 32. There are as many reasons for homelessness as there are homeless people. I think churches should provide shelters for all of them every night. Having a home is one of the great challenges of those without an inheritance

Last edited: Apr 27, 2024
    Hoopguru likes this.
  10. Phatguysrule

I was more referring to the more liberal cities listed as having high rates of homelessness.

It just so happens those cities are more liveable than most more right wing cities. They don't allow as much abuse of rights as the more right wing cities/states. They are more tolerant in general than most right wing cities and states.

Basically, people want to live in these places. Therefore there is more demand for housing so housing costs more.

So the policies are far better for the population... Thereby there is a greater demand for resources.

Should Bernie stop supporting policies that make his state desirable?

He already supports housing all of the homeless... and medicare for all with, no out of pocket cost. But he's not an emperor.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2024
    Hoopguru likes this.
  11. Phatguysrule

Excellent point about the Oregon fires. That's a huge part of the problem here. We already had housing constraints and lost something like 10k homes.

I think we should just house them. There is tons of office space that can be converted, and which we should never need again.

That is the healthiest, most efficient, most effective, and least expensive course of action.

12. oldfisherman

oldfisherman Unicorn Wrangler

One to many zeros, 5,000, not 50,000.

riverman likes this.
  13. riverman

riverman Writing Team

fixed although It was 5 thousand houses..not sure how many people that actually covers..over a million acres affected and 201, 000 destroyed. No doubt that coupled with the pandemic ballooned the displaced population.

14. jonnyboy

I doubt the fires had much effect on the homeless population, that’s hardly an excuse for Oregon’s problems. People who own homes that burn down don’t just say “fuck it there’s a nice bridge downtown”. Most their homes were probably insured and even if they were denied coverage, most homeowners are working people with some sort of safety net.
    And as for the pandemic, well, the rest of the country went through that as well.

15. Phatguysrule

Those people do move into other homes. Which raises the prices of housing across the board. Which increases the rate of homelessness.

Supply and demand. Supply was reduced, demand was increased. Prices go up.

This is a well known phenomenon.

16. SlyPokerDog

I posted that video not because of who said it but what he said.

There are millions of people who work honorably, honestly, and thanklessly as civil servants in this country.

And while one of you doesn't like the messenger because he didn't win the presidency, there are people who work hard to make sure we get to vote and that those votes count.

And another of you doesn't like the messenger because he didn't end homelessness in his own state, there are those who are trying so very hard to help the homeless with limited funds and resources.

Telling Ivy League students to consider working for their community, city, state, or country is a message they need to hear.

Phatguysrule and riverman like this.
  17. riverman

riverman Writing Team

not everybody can cover a mortgage in the winter with a pile of charcoal on a concrete foundation to come home to...I stated that there are as many reasons for homelessness as there are homeless people and there are homeless people all over the planet. Oregon is a tolerant place for people without ways and means to congregate under a bridge. Personally I don't think they should have to. I think churches can and should walk that walk.

18. SlyPokerDog

I'm always surprised at how long a house will sit vacant after a fire. Seems like insurance companies really drag their feet.

Phatguysrule likes this.
  19. jonnyboy

Churches already do more charity in this country than any other “charitable” entities in existence and it’s not even close. Your personal disdain for organized religion doesn’t change that fact. Maybe your tax dollars should be less charitable to Boeing and Raytheon and more charitable to the people living under bridges and single mothers who can’t afford eggs.

20. Phatguysrule

In Oregon we've already approved more than enough tax dollars toward homelessness to house every homeless person in Oregon.

The dollars aren't the problem. The problem is the people who refuse to support housing the homeless.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2024
    Chris Craig and riverman like this.