Two-way contract targets

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by PCmor7, Jul 18, 2018.

1. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    The NBA will never truly use the G-League until the NBA returns to the 12-man roster. Until then, it will remain a curiosity. There's just no need.

TBpup likes this.
  2. riverman

riverman Writing Team

If each franchise had 30 players....half paid like high school gym teachers and half under whatever contract they can fanagle….if you suck and get dropped to the minors you only get high school gym teacher pay and the G league scrub gets bottom tier rookie pay...seems like a money saver in the long run. Probably won't happen in our lifetime but maybe my grandchildren will get to watch the Eugene Kindling one day

3. ripcityboy

ripcityboy Well-Known Member

self employed
    Minor league baseball players already are talking about going to Congress because their wages are so low. Do you think the NBA Player's Union is going to want to see their professional status altered like that? They want their players earning as much as possible even if the G league salary is what, about 35k for five months. With the G league already losing money the owners will want to cut the amount they have to pay to like less than minimum wage for players not on contract. That would create division in the Players Union and I doubt they'd go for that.

4. JDC

JDC Well-Known Member

Haven't watched him enough to say.

But my guess is mentality, attitude and defensive IQ still plague him and are the main reasons he hasn't gotten another real shot in the NBA.

TorturedBlazerFan likes this.
  5. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Don't G league players make about 40k a year? That's what I was talking about and at whatever rate, the minors is the bus and Motel 6...the Majors is the team jet and the Ritz

6. ripcityboy

self employed
    They still get housing and health benefits. Baseball players have to pay out of their own pocket for everything. That's why the system works so damn well. Because the bottom work force is paid peanuts and MLB Union membership tenure is so difficult to get. The NBA Roster isn't as big, but you increase roster size that much and payroll costs would balloon like crazy. NBA Players get paid so well because it's an elite and rare talent that can do that job and the amount of players is small to begin with.

7. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I factor in venue and ticket price....I watch the Eugene Ems at times and it's damned cheap entertainment for someone who can't see a major league team here in Lane County

8. ripcityboy

self employed
    I'd be interested to see what the bottom line is for a Triple A team and a G league team. In baseball the minor league operations are independently owned and run, but the G league teams are all part of the NBA now I believe.

9. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I thought the Eugene Emeralds were owned by the San Diego Padres...just looked them up and they are owned by Elmore Sports Group, Ltd

10. ripcityboy

self employed
    Short Season teams are because owned by big league clubs because they are seasonal. Full time minor league operations usually have their own parks and branding and everything else. It's actually where a lot of sports marketing and business grads get their start. Even NBA and NFL GM's Jerry Krause and Erni Accorsi got started I believe working for the Chicago White Sox and the Baltimore Orioles minor league organizations. Of course, since so many people hate baseball, they probably believe the sport's executive structure is useless.

11. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    If the NBA decreased 1) big league rosters from 15 to 12 and 2) the number of minor league teams from 30 to 5-10, that would free $90 million (= 30 big league teams X 3 players X $1M each) to spread over 60-120 minor league players (= 5-10 minor league teams X 12 player rosters), which is $.75M-1.5M per player (= 90 / 60 or 120). Give half to minor league players and half to minor league owners, and the new subsidies would probably be less than the current subsidies.

NOW do you understand why I criticize Olshey, Stern, etc.? I should be their BOSS. And Denny should pay me more than this miserly 99¢/post. At least give me an inflation adjustment.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  12. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

Things that'll never happen on line 1.

TorturedBlazerFan and hoopsjock like this.
  13. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Yeah, can you imagine the players' association response to a suggestion that 20% of the NBA roster spots be eliminated? No increase in G-league salaries will be enough to offset that.

14. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Didn’t ask me, but I do. I don’t think his shooting is a fluke, and he contributes in other areas. I also like how he plays in the pick and roll. He’d be a good fit in Portland, and I’d invite him to training camp at least.

15. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

There are three open two way roster spots in the NBA currently. Portland has two of them.

I love it.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  16. Pridan

Pridan Active Member

I'd suggest that with the amount of young, developing players we have currently on our roster, there's just no need at the moment for Two Way Players. We already have Simons and Trent Jnr not getting minutes, Baldwin and Swanigan playing G-League minutes and guys like Stauskas/Layman/Harkless in and out of the rotation for various reasons.

Unless there was an absolutely compelling case for a standout player to be taken (ie. the next Robert Covington), what's the point?

17. hoopsjock

hoopsjock Well-Known Member

Business Owner
    Well guys like Covington and Whiteside weren't expected to ever be as good as they are now. How would you ever discover gold if you didn't look for it? What does it hurt to have a couple of guys in the G-League that we'd have the rights to if they do turn out to be an NBA talent?

tester551 and Pridan like this.
  18. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

There’s pretty much no downside, minus the 200k or so it would cost (and that figure is only if they actually spend time on the team)

19. hoopsjock

hoopsjock Well-Known Member

Business Owner
    Unless they signed someone that hasn't been reported yet, it's too late to sign anyone now.

Edit: They better hope there isn't a big injury. The 2-way contracts are a way to provide depth if that happens.

20. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

One day we’ll have a GM

BonesJones and hoopsjock like this.