Two way contracts

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Scalma, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

He is, and he’s got a bonus to do so. It’s unlikely, but not impossible that Portland signs him.

And I’ve been talking about him since he got cut by Sacramento, so I’ll keep hope alive.

2. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

I agree that POR should look at every possible way to add talent to their roster, especially with the lack of depth in the front court.

It's not so much about the Warriors not being above it, they depend on it. Due to the top heavy nature of their roster, they actually depend on min contract players to fill out their roster more than any other team in the league. They only have 7 players on their roster that are not on min contracts, which means that before their cuts on Friday they had 13 min contract players fighting for their final 10 roster spots (including 2-ways).

BNM

3. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Yeah and somehow the back of their roster still looks better than Portland’s. For example, I’d take Alfonzo McKinnie over Biggie, and Jerebko over Meyers.

4. Boob-No-More

He's really the only potential 2-way player I'm excited about at this time. We don't need any more guards/wings, but we do need more depth up front. It's not just that we lost Ed, but bigs tend to get injured more than non-bigs. I don't want to limp into the first round of the playoffs depending on the equivalent of Noah Vonleh and Meyers Leonard to play big minutes like we did the season before last when Nurk and Ed were both injured.

Actually, at this point, I'd rather have Noah back than Swanigan. They are both good rebounders, but Noah was much better defensively.

BNM

5. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

I’d cut Biggie in a second for Joakim Noah, assuming he’s healthy enough to play. Of course that won’t happen now that they picked up his option so that’s cool.

Edit: just realized you meant Vonleh. Yes to him too.

6. Boob-No-More

No surprise. That's the advantage of being 3-time champs. You can attract guys like Jerebko to play for you for the vet min (like , Zaza, JaVale and David West before him).

BNM

BonesJones likes this.
  7. Boob-No-More

I admit that I was initially high on Swanigan before the draft as rebounding is the one skill that seems to translate well from college to the NBA, and I figured that would make him a viable future replacement for Ed Davis. Then I was down on him after reports that he couldn't guard anyone at the pre-draft camp. And then I swung back pro-Swanigan after his first summer league when he was a dominant double-double machine.

Now, I'm wondering if there is any upside there at all. I was kind of surprised they picked up his option. They obviously have more confidence in him than I do. I know we have a history of 3rd year guys making a leap, but those guys have all been guards/wings. We don't exactly have a great record developing bigs.

BNM

8. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

I know he’s only 21, but I don’t see the upside in Biggie either. He’s so slow, I don’t see how he’s ever going to overcome it. I know there’s been Zbo comps thrown out but I don’t see anywhere near the same footwork or play strength. He’s an easy guy to root for but I also have questions about his work ethic as well as whether or not he’s even happy being a pro basketball player.

9. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Troy Williams just got waived by the pelicans. Blazers offered him a contract last season before he signed with the Knicks. Still eligible for a two way.

Wizard Mentor likes this.
  10. Boob-No-More

Between Harkless, Turner and Layman, as well as, Stauskas and Trent Jr., if we go small, we have the SF spot covered. I see little reason to add another 6'7" guy, especially one who can't shoot the 3.

BNM

BonesJones likes this.
  11. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Not a reliable name in sight. Literally five question marks. The closest one to reliable is the guy everyone shits on. The best one may not even be healthy. Portland is in no position to be turning away wings, especially not ones that wouldn’t even effect their 15 man roster.

As for Williams, he had a PER of 16.2 in 17 mpg for New York last season. You can say it was only 17 games, but that was still a larger sample of success than at least three of the names above.

12. Boob-No-More

He had a larger sample size (30 games, 557 minutes) in 2016-17 and put up a PER of 9.0. For his 51-game NBA career, he has a PER = 11.2 with a .290 3FG%.

No thanks. He wouldn't sniff the floor in POR. If we're going to use the 2-way spots, given our lack of depth up front, I'd rather use them on bigs.

BNM

13. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

He started with Memphis and was crap, then improved in both Houston and New York. Or can young guys not get better? What’s your point?

I wish I had your confidence (or is it delusion?) that Portland is so set at small forward.

And there’s only one big out there worth a two way.

14. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

Troy Williams will never be good enough to help us at SF, I'm certain of that.

15. Boob-No-More

I never said we are set at small forward. It is my opinion that Troy Williams is not the answer, either short term or long term.

Why can you never just disagree on something without making it personal? For some reason, when it comes to me, you always feel the need to attack the poster by calling me a hypocrite or delusional. It's getting REALLY old.

BNM

16. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

At this point I don’t even care who, if anyone, Portland signs, I’m just going to keep listing guys I like as I dig.

Donte Grantham. Four year wing from Clemson. 6’8 215. Has a frame that would allow him to put on even more weight. Was having a great senior season until he tore his ACL in January. Was shooting over 40% from outside. Free throw percentage suggests it could translate. Good rebounder and also handled the ball a lot showing decent playmaking ability.

Signed and waived by the Thunder so he’ll probably be playing with their affiliate in the G league. Just another guy I’d take a shot on with a two way.

TorturedBlazerFan likes this.
  17. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    Im impressed by how many guys you know. From college and overseas.

18. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Overseas sure, college not really. I just like digging lol.

19. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    That's assuming current temporary ownership is making basketball decisions for basketball reasons. I for one have no reason to assume that.

20. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    Yeah, it wouldn't take me more than a second to take Vonleh over Biggie.