UFA'S

Discussion in 'New York Rangers' started by mrmel29, Jun 25, 2017.

1. kreidertime

kreidertime Well-Known Member

Shero is a fucking moron. It's obvious. His strategy is the same as all the other asswipe tanking teams. Tank enough and eventually you can win a cup. Again, the exact reason you need to put the rule in if you draft 1st or 2nd, the following year you can't draft higher than 10th.

2. Stepupstepan

Stepupstepan Well-Known Member

Yep, Shero only knows one way of building a team is through tanking. The devils should not be allowed near the top ten next year.

3. nj cup

nj cup Member

Lol of course he can. But when he inherited such a mess it's hard to do worse.

He couldn't sign with the rangers anyway. But I'll remember this when he signs next year with the rangers.

4. nj cup

nj cup Member

Lol your an angry fella. Guess you didn't read the link I posted. Figures

5. RangersFan

RangersFan Well-Known Member

With all due respect NJ this is a moronic post. I rather us get nothing for him and have him sign with another team next season then deal him for something now. It is even stupider when you know your team is going nowhere this upcoming season anyway, so no harm no foul.

You can say Shero didn't want to cave to Kovy or another team, but don't say he played it perfectly because now they get nothing as opposed to something. Perfectly would have been if the Devs got a good return for him, not they get nothing and he is on a rival next summer anyway.

Take off the Devil colored glasses please. Not saying Shero deserves to be destroyed here, but it is impossible to say he played it perfectly when he got nothing in return for Kovy. At best he was whatever in this situation.

6. kreidertime

kreidertime Well-Known Member

He was a fucking idiot for not dealing him to some team. Maybe the Devils could have actually gotten a pick and drafted a defenseman who doesn't suck moose dick like all their current defenseman do.

7. RangersFan

Even if Kovy said CBJ or NYR, which he did, dealing him for SOMETHING from one of those teams is better than getting NOTHING as he signs with one of those teams next summer. Again IMPOSSIBLE to say Shero played it perfectly unless you are looking at it through Devil colored glasses.

As for Shero as a GM, I happen to like him. I think he will turn the Devs around in 2 or 3 years, but he has to prove he can do it without tanking and getting Sid, Malkin, MAF and others. They got the # 1 pick this year, which fits his MO, but to the Devils bad fortune there was no transcendent player this year.

8. Ranger71

Ranger71 Well-Known Member

He'll probably be on Broadway next year.

9. nj cup

nj cup Member

The point is this. The Devils had a time table before kovy even entered the picture. They still have that time table without getting anything for him. Your saying a 3rd round pick is going to change that? It's going to impact the rebuild in any meaningful way? Whoever they draft with that pick has about 5% chance of panning out and that's probably in 4 years time lol. your kidding yourselves if you think differently. There is zero chance if situation was reversed you would deal him to the Devils. For a meh return. I remember in 03 I think the rangers offered leetch to the Devils. The return they wanted was parise. Would you have been ok trading him for a 3rd rounder? You wouldn't.

Also by waiting another year whoever does sign kovy is going to be locked into his contract buyout proof. What if he sucks and you ink him to a 3 year 7 million contract which is close to what he wanted now? Also another year is another year the Devils have to catch up ground in the division while the pens caps rangers get a year older. Injury risks increase salary cap doesn't other players need raises etc.

No way is a third or just "any" return worth compromising your ground. Hey if the rangers want him next year go ahead and take all that risk that's fine by me. Hey maybe he even wins the cup for you I'd be upset but I'd be more pissed if we traded him to help win that cup and only got a 3rd round pick out of it.

10. RangersFan

The point is your GM did NOT play it perfectly when he just lost Kovy for nothing.

The right way for you to view it is yeah the Kovy thing obviously wasn't ideal for us. I'm sure Shero tried to do what he could do, but couldn't get it done. What can you do, he'll sign where he wants to next summer and life goes on.

That's the reality of the situation. Not our GM got NOTHING and yet played it perfectly (doesn't even make sense). Or saying oh who cares about a 3rd round pick anyway. No one would say it is a huge return, but it is better than NOTHING.

If that is your definition of playing it perfectly, losing a player for nothing, I'm not sure what to say. Funny.

11. RangersFan

And BTW...if you think this has anything to do with the Rangers getting him or not, that is even funnier. Maybe they will and maybe they won't, but I'll worry about that next summer. I thought we were having a discussion about the Devs not the Rangers. If we were comparing the Devs and Rangers we would chat about how Shatty blew off the Devs extra money and years to sign with the Rangers. Not Kovy going back to Russia and leaving the Devs high and dry one last time.

12. nj cup

nj cup Member

He just locked the rangers into a guarantee kovy contract next year that's buyout proof for a guy who has back issues as not played in the NHL for 5 years and is 35. so again how did he not play it perfectly? The rangers went what 2-30 on the power play in the second round this year? Tell me kovy wouldn't have helped that with his shot ? Hopefully you don't find yourself in that same spot this year when a better offer for kovy wouldn't put you over that hump. Making every team in the division wait another year and have a bidding war for him is the win here.

13. nj cup

nj cup Member

I don't care if shat blew the Devils off. Players have done it all the time. I don't take it personally I've seen my team raise the cup 3x being stiffed by other players all the time. Part of the business. It's one thing to suck like the Devils have for five years but it's another to not win the cup when your window does open.

14. nj cup

nj cup Member

Btw I never thought shat would sign with the Devils why would he we just won the lotto. We aren't a playoff team. He's 29 in a win now mode why would he sign here?

15. RangersFan

Yes, that's exactly what he did. He locked the Rangers into signing him next year. Great point. Hopefully Gorton knows that's what happened, the Rangers now need to sign him to a long expensive contract.

You should go away now. Up until now I actually thought you were a fan who could have a good smart hockey discussion. You have now lost all credibility when you simply cannot say yeah Kovy f'd us again, and what can you do. When you are writing our GM lost a player for NOTHING, which is playing it perfectly in your opinion, you have lost all credibility. Time to go away man.

16. RangersFan

No one wants to play for the Devs. Kovy and Parise great examples of that. This isn't 15 years ago when the Devs could clutch and trap their way to cups with lesser talent. Doesn't work that way in the NHL anymore. Too bad for the Devs I'd say since no one wants to sign in NJ if given a choice.

17. nj cup

nj cup Member

lol I just gave you all the reasons why it was a good move but whatever.

18. nj cup

nj cup Member

lol I don't care if they played blocky to win the cups. And you certainly wouldn't either. I'm being 100% realistic here. Your the one with the homer glasses on

Situation reversed would you have traded kovy to the Devils for a 3rd round pick? I'll answer that and the answer is no.

Also sure it's an unknown if the rangers sign him next year. I'm just assuming if they had interest is year at a price then next year for free they certainly would.

I'm surprised you haven't brought up attendance in your argument lol

It's actually funny you mention kovy parise leaving and shatenkirk not signing here. All three players left to play for their hometowns. So how were the Devils going to compete with that

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
  19. RangersFan

But they are not good reasons. They are I am a Devil fan so I will make stuff up about why my GM letting Kovy walk for nothing is playing it perfectly.

I would have traded him to CBJ and gotten something, that would have been playing it perfectly.

Maybe the Rangers sign him and maybe they won't, don't know, but we'll comment on that next July not today or make it sound like that was part of some master plan by Shero, stop that nonsense.

And lastly, 100% I would be fine with my team winning cups that way. My only point is it won't happen in todays NHL, and sadly for the Devs no one wants to play in NJ. Just the way it is.

20. nj cup

nj cup Member

You can think whatever you want it's cool. Ray is in no hurry to do any favors for kovy. I don't blame him. Let him play in Russia another year and get a little less chance of winning a cup. If you were to say ray turned down a first a legit prospect out of spite? Then yeah he blew it. He's forcing kovy to play in Russia another year and limiting what teams would have interest in him next year and probably less of a contract. Just stop with the get whatever you can routine. Whoever kovy signs with is going to have a big cap hit locked onto their books for two years at the least because of what shero did today. I only hope that he signs in the division next year.

Yeah no kidding you can't win the cup that way anymore which is why they are getting younger and faster each year. The key pieces shero put in place in Pitt is proof of this. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Every team has these ups and downs we all know that. It's what you do when yours is open is what matters.

Yeah I know no one wants to play in nj and yet I've seen them win the cup three times. The rangers where everyone wants to go to has won how many? Maybe it's a good system in place keep taking all the ufa drury Gomez holik Richards etc.