UFC 121: Lesnar vs. Velasquez (Oct. 23rd)

Discussion in 'MMA - Mixed Martial Arts' started by speeds, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Mamba

Mamba The King is Back Staff Member Global Moderator

Re: UFC 121: Lesnar vs. Velasquez [Results]

Stupid comment, buddy.

No stamina? I wouldn't say that. He weathered Carwin's storm and beat him with ease in the 2nd round. Went a full 3 against Herring. Went 2 against Mir the 2nd time. This was his 1st real loss, IMO. He made a basic mistake against Mir the 1st time. You may not like Brock, but he's still very relevant in the HW division. He's a hell of a wrestler with some serious power in his meat hooks. He'll be in some future title fights.

2. speeds

speeds $2.50 highball, $1.50 beer Staff Member Administrator GFX Team

Positional dominance is something that needs to be reviewed by the athletic commissions. Passing guard and mounting are great in BJJ competitions but if the top man isn't going to do anything in those positions what good are they?

However I thought Kampmann's comments after the fight were classless.

3. Mamba

Cain's wrestling will win him that fight, I don't see it being much of a challenge. JDS is a good/great MMA boxer...but Cain's stand up is no joke, either. Cain will smother JDS all night long and he should be the bigger man in the fight. I don't see JDS posing much of a threat unless he lands some shots...even if he does, Cain has shown he's got a pretty solid chin.

4. speeds

Brendan Schuab called out Frank Mir after his win. Anyone want to see that go down?

5. Mamba

What did he say? I was so fucking hammered last night..I rewatched some of the fights this morning on the internet.

I don't believe Kampmann ever had a shot in this fight unless he subbed, dominated, or KO'd Shields. Shields got that decision based off of name recognition, IMO. How someone scored that fight 30-27 for Shields is beyond me.

6. Patriot

Patriot Active Member

[video=youtube;ftraUJn0rLE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftraUJn0rLE[/video]

Go at about 2:26, supposedly WWE wants to make a match at WrestleMania between the two.

7. Mamba

Schaub needs to slow down a bit. Going from Gonzaga to Mir is a big jump. I'd like to see it, though. I wonder how it would go down. I think Schaub is too small for the HW division. He looks like he could cut down to 205 over time, no?

8. speeds

I heard that bitched but I don't know for sure, something I read.

9. CelticKing

CelticKing The Green Monster

Dude, he sucks, all he had going for him was putting fear into his opponents and now knowing how weak he is, no one will fear him again in the octagon, so no way he gets to hold the title again in the future.

10. speeds

^ I don't think he sucks, he just needs to train kickboxing for months on end until he can keep his eyes open and his hands up.

11. 44Thrilla

44Thrilla cuatro cuatro

CK's rules: Once you lose, you suck.

12. CelticKing

CelticKing The Green Monster

Hell yeah!!! ;)

lol

13. Mamba

LMAO! Dude...you gotta be kidding me !? He gets his ass schooled once and you think he sucks!? He's still very raw in terms of MMA, he's still learning. His wrestling isn't world class like people think, but its good enough to win him fights and when he's on top of you and pounding away, so far there is no escape. Clearly he needs to work on his stand up defense, but that might be the easiest thing to learn in MMA.

14. Patriot

Patriot Active Member

Brock took Cain down twice and tried to get on top of him but couldn't with Cain's incredible takedown defense. So no, it's not like there is no escape.

And to think people used to question whether or not Fedor would win against Brock. My oh my. :lol:

15. 44Thrilla

44Thrilla cuatro cuatro

Brock never got Cain down and under control.

16. Patriot

Patriot Active Member

Even if he did, I don't think Brock would be able to dominate Cain on the ground as he has other past fighters.

17. Chocolove

Chocolove Active Member

Brock needs to learn to box and hold guys down. He can take em down no problem but I've seen him have trouble hold guys down, even Randy got back up on him one time.

18. 44Thrilla

44Thrilla cuatro cuatro

I actually think Lesnar will be better after this fight. I think it's exactly what he needed.

19. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

Yeah, Brock will be fine. Getting your ass whooped by Carwin and Cain isn't a death knell; Carwin is undefeated except for that Lesnar loss and Cain is undefeated overall and have pretty much destroyed nearly everyone they faced. How many other heavyweights could beat Lesnar at this point? Dos Santos could have a chance if he rocks him quick but he doesn't have the wrestling ability or overall strength of Cain to stop the takedown IMO. Nog, Mir, Roy could always pull out a sub but its not that likely as Brock would control them and probably rough them up very quickly. Dude is still a force and will probably be back to contention fairly quicly. Hes gotta work on his striking and perhaps even more importantly learn to get your ass whooped and not just fall down or run away. I'm beginning to wonder if he should train somewhere outside of his own personal gym. I know its all heavyweights there and they have some decent talent but he really needs to go somewhere where he'll get a beating day in and day out.

As for Mir-Schaub, it kind of makes sense at this point no? Both coming off wins. It would be a new fight at least. Not sure if Dana still wants to o the Nog-Mir II thing. That has more marketability. At the same time I think a Nog-Lesnar match makes some sense. See how Nog tries to lure Brock into a sub. Two fairly big names and whoever wins should be back on the fast track. Feels like anyone Brock fights below the top dogs would be unfair to them though. Guy is still a monster hes just not the top of the food chain anymore.

20. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

Possible explanation for the Untertaker-Brock thing:
    http://www.mmaforum.com/ufc/83235-undertaker-brock-lesnar-exchange-words-following-ufc-121-a-2.html