Event UFC 189: Mendes vs. McGregor [Results]

Discussion in 'MMA - Mixed Martial Arts' started by speeds, May 26, 2015.

Added to Calendar: 07-11-15
  1. speeds

speeds $2.50 highball, $1.50 beer Staff Member Administrator GFX Team

^ Guess who described last night as the night of his life? Yeah, this guy. Who is he, Bill Cutting?

JFizzleRaider likes this.
  2. Mamba

Mamba The King is Back Staff Member Global Moderator

What an epic event! I've rewatched the fights twice already!

Lawler is a boss. Rory can take a beating. I'm glad Lawler one, I am not a fan of Rory. I feel like Rory will never be more than a Florian type of fighter..always the bridesmaid, never the bride. As long as there is someone in his division that can outbox, outwrestle, or T/KO him, he will always be second best. To me, he's one of those fighters that is good in every area, but not great. I don't see him beating Lawler or Hendricks. I'd like to see a Condit rematch now. That was an epic title fight. Definitely the fight of the year and my personal favorite since Hendo/Shogun I.

Conor is pure awesome. His humility after the fight was great as well. I firmly believe he will beat Aldo. I can't see Aldo taking him down and I can't see Aldo T/KO'ing him. I think Conor wins via TKO.

3. Mamba

And one more thing, I do not understand how you could score that first round to one fighter. That was the definition of a 10-10 round. If I had to score it, I would have given it to Lawler. I don't understand how all 3 judges had him down 3-1. I had it 2-2 going into the final round, personally.

4. speeds

speeds $2.50 highball, $1.50 beer Staff Member Administrator GFX Team

I think Rory is in the same space as Mendes and Faber right now. He's clearly one of the best in the world but is a notch below the champion. Lawler is peaking at 36 but that won't last much longer. In a year or two I could see Rory getting that belt. He was damn close on Saturday. Easy to forget that King is only 25 years old and not even in his prime yet.

You have to figure the odds for the McGregor/Aldo fight just narrowed a lot. McGregor was taken down and controlled in the fight but retained his composure and made good on the opportunities he had. A fight with Aldo will likely be pure stand-up and pure fireworks. Can't wait.

5. JFizzleRaider

JFizzleRaider Sad Panda Global Moderator

So wait a second.

Rory makes $59,000 for his fight.

Mike swick makes $48,000 for his fight.

........something is not right there

6. Mamba

speeds, I believe Robbie is only 33. Not a big difference from 36, but big enough to envision him ruling the WW division for the next 2-3 years.

McGregor got taken down at will, but I believe he stuffed 3-4 takedowns as well? It'll be hard to find a better wrestler in that division outside of Mendes. If McGregor gets by Aldo, I don't see anyone beating him for awhile. I love Frankie, but I can't see him being able to utilize his boxing like he was able to against Penn and Maynard. I also didn't realize how sick Conor's body work was in the 1st round until rewatching the fight while sober. He absolutely wrecked Chad's body in the first round.

7. Celtic Fan

Celtic Fan Well-Known Member

Wow what a card. I couldn't get over how much blood was on the matt during the later fights. Been a long time since I've seen that.
    I said it a while ago, Rory MacDonald feels like one of those guys who may never get over the hump. He just doesn't wow you with any aspect of his game (alright I'll give him toughness, he took a BEAT-TING and kept coming) so anyone who is rather well rounded but great at something will beat Rory at the end of the day and that's what the top of the division will almost always have.
    IF Rory ever wins the title, I see it being a short reign IMO.

I can't wait for Aldo vs McGregor. I feel Aldo's striking is better and that's what it was always going to come down to... but maybe it's not. McGregor's speed was pretty damn impressive Saturday night.

There's something I just like about Gunnar Nelson and his matter of fact calmness. I don't know if he's a title contender, but I enjoy his fights.

I think Brad Pickett should hang'em up. He was always a entertaining scrapper, but he's been in too many wars.

8. Celtic Fan

Does anyone think the McGregor/Mendes fight may have been different if Mendes had a full camp? Sure Connor had to fight a different opponent, but he was still gearing up for a 5 round title match for much longer than Chad. Or does Connor still have enough of TDD to keep Chad up long enough to put him down for good?

9. Mamba

That is what I forgot to talk about! Gunnar Nelson is awesome. I love his stoic-ness!

I don't see a full camp Mendes outcome being any different. Each round starts on the feet and Conor's striking power and accuracy is just too much. His body work would kill Mendes' cardio, again.

10. Celtic Fan

probaby, but maybe Mendes cardio is better with a longer camp? hard to say but I think Mendes needs 3-4 wins to get another title shot. And I think he will get them too unless they do a Mendes vs McGregor/Aldo for #1 contender vs the champ (Still can't say Connor will be Aldo for sure IMO)