Event UFC 229: Khabib vs. McGregor [Results]

Discussion in 'MMA - Mixed Martial Arts' started by speeds, Sep 9, 2018.

Added to Calendar: 10-06-18
  1. speeds

speeds $2.50 highball, $1.50 beer Staff Member Administrator GFX Team

DFW claims that three members of Khabib's team have been arrested.

2. speeds

But because Conor won't press charges they have been released? Also according to DFW.

3. speeds

4. speeds

5. speeds

6. speeds

Khabib showed up at the presser to apologize to the commission and give a "butwhatabout" defence of his actions, took no questions, and left.

7. speeds

8. speeds

Thoughts...

I didn't see the prelims but I saw the clip of Scott Holtzman's devastating KO of Alan Patrick. He landed four or five push-off elbows that would've cracked concrete. Scary stuff.

Waterson/Herrig was a solid fight. Herrig looked a little overwhelmed. Waterson does the headlock take-down that almost every female fighter seems to attempt but she actually does it well.

Lewis/Volkov was ridiculous. Volkov controlled the fight but didn't commit to finishing. Lewis stole this one but Volkov can only blame himself. Lewis looks like he can hardly stand. I hope his back is getting better.

Reyes doesn't look the part (at least to me and I don't know why) but he is obviously very talented. OSP is a dangerous opponent and he could do nuttin'. Reyes should get another major jump up in competition next--maybe the winner of Ozedemir/Smith.

We got more of Anthony Pettis than we have in recent memory but he still looks like he's fighting at 65% of what he was. He had some moments against Ferguson, namely knocking him down twice, but Ferguson is a relentless, somersaulting meathead and is too much for most fighters to deal with. His post fight press conference was like watching a more lucid Tito Ortiz cut a wrestling promo for fifteen minutes. He is a gem.

Hands up if you expected Khabib to drop Conor with strikes. Wow! On top of that Khabib seems immune to striking damage. Conor popped him a few times but maybe didn't have the full weight of his strikes behind him due to being concerned about the take-down. This fight made me appreciate wrestlers like Hughes, Koscheck, and GSP. How often these days to you see guys shoot and get a tackle in the open area of the cage? Almost never. Conor's take-downs all came against the cage. But he was incredibly effective. As the fight went on he wore on Conor and eventually smothered him in the fourth round. Khabib called Kavanagh's team "tapping machines" and Conor tapping to a neck crank/jaw crusher was a little weak.

The aftermath was fun. I guess I'm desensitized to this stuff, now. Not sure what the fallout will be but recent history suggests it will be pretty light for the important figures.

9. speeds

Puts their gross at about $150MM. Not hard to see Conor & Khabib walking away with maybe $30MM of that and the UFC taking the rest (~$45MM).