Event UFC 257: Poirier vs. McGregor 2 [Results]

Discussion in 'MMA - Mixed Martial Arts' started by speeds, Jan 5, 2021.

Added to Calendar: 01-23-21
  1. Mamba

Mamba The King is Back Staff Member Global Moderator

I hope we get the following:
    Diamond vs. Do Bronx for the title.
    Gaethje vs. Chandler (fuck this guy, the nerve to call yourself Iron Michael) for the #1 Contender

Conor v Nate III

speeds likes this.
  2. speeds

speeds $2.50 highball, $1.50 beer Staff Member Administrator GFX Team

I don't see the point in a third Nate Diaz fight TBH. I'd sooner see Conor fight Ferguson who is more relevant. On board with Poirier/Oliveira and for sure Gaethje/Chandler.

Not really sure why Poirier is not wanting to fight Chandler. If it was a title fight he'd say no? I doubt it.

3. speeds

I thought McGregor's boxing was very sharp. The calf kicks didn't seem to be hampering him that much. Poirier landed a punch, a right cross maybe, that led to McGregor looking wobbly, then he pounced on him. I guess the fact Conor was hobbled after the fight shows the damage done but during the fight I thought he was handling it. Conor landed some great punches but was less dynamic than he needed to be. Poirier has a chin on him for sure.

4. speeds

Hooker is only 30 but maybe that's a good time to step away, before the toll is too high.

5. speeds

Big problems with the stream last night. Instead of whining about streamers maybe the UFC and ESPN should fix their own. For comparison the pirated streams are consistently better than the official one to the point where paying for it is worse. The fact they make UFC fighters pay to watch is unbelievable.

[​IMG]

6. Mamba

The pirated streams are always better than ESPN's junk.

I don't have an issue with Dustin turning down Chandler. He said last night he'd rather sell hot sauce, the UFC can go make Do Bronx vs Chandler for the title. Coming from his angle, I get it. This guy has put on war after war for the UFC and still gets slighted and looked over. He should have been crowned champion last night. Dana messed that up. Chandler needs to pay his due and get another win, in my opinion. You shouldn't get a title fight when you KO a guy that Dustin just beat. He shouldn't get to jump Do Bronx in line, either.

Dustin has said repeatedly in his last couple of fights that he hates this shit now. He doesn't love fighting anymore and only does t because he's one of the best in the world. It looks as if he just wants the money fights now which would explain why he wants to do Conor III. Also Nate is out there, Dustin wants that one too because Nate likes to talk and they were scheduled to fight a couple years back. Good for Dustin, get that money. If its a title fight, it better be against Do Bronx.

speeds likes this.
  7. speeds

The punch I think might've hurt Conor was here at like 2:17. Poirier comes over the top and as McGregor tries to stand up he's looking rough. Obviously his leg is jacked-up by this point but the entire round was McGregor landing good punches so it's odd he's suddenly on his heels unless that one shot hurt him? Maybe I'm wrong.

Also this fight really doesn't help Conor shake the narrative that he's a frontrunner.

Edit: not just me I guess

Mamba likes this.
  8. Mamba

Conor's coach said he's begging for the rematch before summer time. In a way, I think thats a good thing. If Conor wants to remain relevant, he need to remain active. He can beat Dustin but he needs to rededicate himself. He seemed to have no game plan against Dustin this go around and seemed to be very cocky that he would just end the fight easily. And Conor needs to go back to that karate stance; his boxing stance leaves a lot to be desired.

But like I said earlier, I just don't know if the fire is there anymore. He has transcended the sport of MMA and become a fucking rich mother fucker. He has money coming in from all angles from all different industries.

speeds likes this.
  9. speeds

Rumour that Chandler will face Oliveira while Poirier waits for a bigger opportunity.

10. speeds

Oliveira said no thanks since it's not a title fight.

11. speeds

Idea being floated that Poirier/McGregor 3 could happen right away and be a title fight.

Poirier should be the #1 contender and with no champion... I guess? Like, this is the only time probably ever you could make the case for this type of rematch being for a title.