UFC 78 Predictions

Discussion in 'MMA - Mixed Martial Arts' started by Celtic Fan, Nov 16, 2007.

1. Celtic Fan

Celtic Fan Well-Known Member

<div>I know speeds does predictions for upcoming UFC&rsquo;s in his blog, but maybe more people will see this thread by posting it on the main page here.</div>
    <div>Not a lot of star power for the casual fan for this UFC, but a lot of potentially great fights are on this card.</div>
    <div>Reply back and tell us who you're pickingfor this Saturday's UFC card.</div>
    <div style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt">Here&rsquo;s the fight card.</div>
    <div style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt"></div>
    <div style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt">UFC 78:

Main Card Bouts:
    -Rashad Evans vs. Michael Bisping
    -Karo Parisyan (#6 Welterweight in the World)* vs. Ryo Chonan
    -Spencer Fisher vs. Frankie Edgar
    -Houston Alexander vs. Thiago Silva
    -Joe Doerksen vs. Ed Herman

Preliminary Bouts:
    -Thiago Alves vs. Chris Lytle
    -Akihiro Gono vs. Tamdan McCrory
    -Marcus Aurelio vs. Luke Caudillo
    -Joe Lauzon vs. Jason Reinhardt</div>
    <div style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt">My predictions:</div>
    <div style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt">Rashard Evans vs. Michael Bisping.</div>
    <div style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt">Evans is an elite wrestler and should be able to take this to the ground any time he wants to. He should take it to the ground first chance he gets because Bisping is very comfortable and very excellent on his feet. Evans is the one type of fighter I see Bisping having difficulties with. If Evans can get it to the ground he has the skills to keep it there and ground and pound (or if he gets conservative lay and pray) a win. Judges reward the person on top regardless of how active the bottom fighter is so;</div>
    <div style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt">Evans by Decision</div>
    <div style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt">Karo Parisyan vs Ryo Chonan</div>
    <div style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt">Chonan fought in Pride in the 183 lbs division and fought bigger fighters before that middleweight division was formed. He should have a size advantage over Karo, but not a skill advantage. He&rsquo;s tough as nails and has a victory over UFC Middleweight champ Anderson Silva but Karo is a great fighter who puts unreal pressure on his opponents. He&rsquo;s also on a mission to get a title shot for the welter weight title after being injured late in 2005 and having to miss out on his title shot.</div>
    <div style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt">This could be the fight of the night but I see Karo pulling it out.</div>
    <div style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt">Karo 3<sup>rd</sup> round TKO stoppage</div>
    <div style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt">Spencer Fisher vs. Frankie Edgar</div>
    <div style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt">I don&rsquo;t know much about Edgar except for his exciting fight and winover TysonGriffith. I think this time aroundhe&rsquo;s in trouble. Fisher at 155 is a tough customer and like Karo he is constantly putting pressure on you and pressing the pace. Edgar is facing a step up in competition for this fight and I don&rsquo;t think Fisher is one to take anyone lightly. He can compete on the ground or as he showed vs Sam Stout, standing up. He's very polished and knows he's closing in on a shot at the lightweight title with another win or two.</div>
    <div style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt">Fisher by 2<sup>nd</sup> round TKO</div>
    <div style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt">Houston Alexander vs. Thiago Silva</div>
    <div style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt">The surprise of 2007, Houston Alexander was called a fluke after his 1<sup>st</sup> win vs Keith Jardine. He&rsquo;s not considered and up and comer after his 2<sup>nd</sup> straight impressive win. Thiago Silva is young confident and more importantly talented. The big question is, can Thiago handle Houston&rsquo;s aggressiveness and strength. Houston doesn&rsquo;t waste any time getting after his opponent and has shown some very impressive punching power and ability to take a punch too. Thiago had best consider getting this to the ground to see if Houston has a ground game. Another potentially exciting fight.</div>
    <div style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt">Alexander by 1<sup>st</sup> round TKO</div>
    <div style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt">Joe Doerksen vs. Ed Herman</div>
    <div style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt">Being Canadian, I&rsquo;m a fan of Joe Doerkson. I got to see him fight live in the main event of an MMA card here in Ottawa. He&rsquo;s great on the ground and decent enough on his feet. He&rsquo;s got a huge advantage in experience but Ed may be a tad more talented as Joe has had his problems when stepping up to the UFC and Pride. I&rsquo;m rooting for a Doerkson win and Herman appears to have enough holes in his game to make me think he can be beat.</div>
    <div style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt">Joe has a win over Herman from a few years ago when Herman was just starting out. A shot at redeeming that loss, may prove to be enough motivation for Ed to win. I just don&rsquo;t think it will</div>
    <div style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt">Joe Doerkson 2nd round submission</div>
    <div style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt">Wow some good fighters on the undercard. I cannot believe Akihiro Gono, the may with the 2<sup>nd</sup> most entertaining entrances in MMA (after the recently retired Genki Sudo) is being relegated to the undercard. This guy made the semi-finals of the Bushido welter weight tourney! Thiago Alves, Chris Lytle, Joe Lauzon and Marcus Aurelio are all capable of putting on main card level fights. Here&rsquo;s hoping some of the fights end quick and the UFC doesn&rsquo;t stall too long and we can see some of these fights.</div>
    <div style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt">Preliminary Bouts:
    -Thiago Alves vs. Chris Lytle(Alves by decision)
    -Akihiro Gono vs. Tamdan McCrory(Gono by 1<sup>st</sup> round TKO)
    -Marcus Aurelio vs. Luke Caudillo (Aurelio by 2<sup>nd</sup> round Submission)
    -Joe Lauzon vs. Jason Reinhardt (Lauzon by 2<sup>nd</sup> round TKO)</div>

2. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

Nice breakdowns.</p>

I also see Rashad Evans beating Bisping. He should have won the decision over Tito and I think Rashad has more experience fighting against higher tier competition than Bisping has faced. However, Bisping is very good at closing out fights and if he gets a clean shot in he'll knock Rasha out. Should be a very good fight.</p>

I hope Kyro loses I can't stand his attitude.</p>

Alexander Houston is a freak I can't see him losing in this fight. Silvia doesn't seem to have the discipline to make it an ugly fight and win with points. He likes to slug it out and I don't think he's going to out slug Alexander.</p>

</p>

3. CelticKing

CelticKing The Green Monster

Evans vs. Bisping
    Parisyan vs. Chonan
    Alexander vs. Silva
    Fisher vs. Edgar
    Doerksen vs. Herman
    Alves vs. Lytle
    Lauzon vs. Reinhardt
    Aurelio vs. Caudillo
    Gono vs. McCrory</p>

4. CelticKing

By the way CelticFan, great job that you did here. [​IMG]</p>

5. Big Frame

Big Frame Well-Known Member

The only people I know fighting is Evans and Bisping, but im looking forward to this PPV.</p>

Rashad Evans vs. Michael Bisping
    Karo Parisyan vs. Ryo Chonan
    Spencer Fisher vs. Frankie Edgar
    Houston Alexander vs. Thiago Silva
    Joe Doerksen vs. Ed Herman</p>

6. Celtic Fan

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shapecity)</div><div class='quotemain'></p>

Nice breakdowns.</p>

I also see Rashad Evans beating Bisping. He should have won the decision over Tito and I think Rashad has more experience fighting against higher tier competition than Bisping has faced. However, Bisping is very good at closing out fights and if he gets a clean shot in he'll knock Rasha out. Should be a very good fight.</p>

I hope Kyro loses I can't stand his attitude.</p>

Alexander Houston is a freak I can't see him losing in this fight. Silvia doesn't seem to have the discipline to make it an ugly fight and win with points. He likes to slug it out and I don't think he's going to out slug Alexander.</p>

</p>

</div></p>

</p>

I'd agree with those comments. Karo does come off as arogant sometimes, especially when he popped up on the last TUF. Still he's a great fighter to watch.</p>

</p>

CK -Thanks for the props I'm trying to get more ppl talking MMA along with all the other great sports we hav here to discuss.</p>

ED - if you only know the main eventers, you're in for a nice surprise as the other fighters I've mentioned can put on a good show.</p>

no Tim Silva's here :-)</p>

</p>

7. Big Frame

Big Frame Well-Known Member

This PPV disapointed me. The Silva-Alexander fight sucked...I cant belive Houston went out like that. The Evans-Bispain fight...gawd no one did anything. I have no clue whyonejudge gave Bispain the fight, he did less then Evans. Ryo Chonan sucked ass. I think he didnt fight to win, I think he just wanted to last 15 min. The only fight that was enjoyable was Joe Doerksen vs. Ed Herman. Ed got lucky in the 2nd.</p>

I left the bar after the Main Event.</p>

8. Celtic Fan

yeah it was a let down for sure, the japanese fighters who have come in can take a beating, defend themsevles well but haven't mounted much in the way of offense. They have been disappointed for sure.
    Silva showed what you do to a power puncher like Alexander. Take him down and pound him.</p>

Let see how I did.</p>

+1 Evans by Decision </p>

+1 Karo 3<sup>rd</sup> round TKO stoppage (Karo got the win at least)</p>

<font color="#ff0000">X</font> Fisher by 2<sup>nd</sup> round TKO (edgar surprised me, great wrestler)</p>

<font color="#ff0000">X</font> Alexander by 1<sup>st</sup> round TKO (Skill beats muscle)</p>

<font color="#ff0000">X</font> Joe Doerkson 2nd round submission (5 more seconds in that 2nd round I would have been correct.)</p>

+1 -Thiago Alves vs. Chris Lytle (Alves by decision) <-- 2nd round TKO, Dr. Stoppage for Alves
    +1 -Akihiro Gono vs. Tamdan McCrory (Gono by 1<sup>st</sup> round TKO) <-- fine it took him 2 rounds and it was a sub)
    +1 -Marcus Aurelio vs. Luke Caudillo (Aurelio by 2<sup>nd</sup> round Submission) <-- Only 1 round it was TKO
    +1 -Joe Lauzon vs. Jason Reinhardt (Lauzon by 2<sup>nd</sup> round TKO) (Yow great agressive Sub by Lauzon)</p>

6-3 not baaaad. The undercard fights saved my bacon .</p>

</p>

</p>

9. CelticKing

5-4 for me. Not bad eh. haha</p>