UFC 87: Seek & Destroy

Discussion in 'MMA - Mixed Martial Arts' started by Celtic Fan, May 20, 2008.

1. Lavalamp

Lavalamp Member

Well I wouldn't mind seeing Florian vs. Penn or a Huerta vs. Penn fight, but I do think Huerta vs. Penn would be a bigger test for Penn. (so I'd prefer the Huerta)

2. speeds

speeds $2.50 highball, $1.50 beer Staff Member Administrator GFX Team

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lavalamp @ Aug 6 2008, 02:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Well I wouldn't mind seeing Florian vs. Penn or a Huerta vs. Penn fight, but I do think Huerta vs. Penn would be a bigger test for Penn. (so I'd prefer the Huerta)</div>

+ Kenny's already had a title shot that he didn't make good on.

3. Lavalamp

Lavalamp Member

Yea, he did and it wasn't a bad showing from him, he did go 5 rounds against Sherk.

I don't feel like checking, but it depends on who is around in the lightweight division. If he beat Huerta he would have won 5 straight.

4. shookem

shookem Still not a bust

It looks like this will be the first MMA PPV I've bought I've bought in years. It just looks too good to pass up.
    My friends are all really into combact sports like ya'll, where as I'm more of a fringe fan (I'll watch the reality tv and ppvs if they're on).
    Dana, this is how you turn a fringe fan into a guy who's shelling out $X for a ppv (btw, speeds, how much is it to order?).

gsp is gsp and that's a draw itself for us north of the border but brock gets me on the phone with rogers.

thx to speeds' promoting of huerta, i'm looking forward to that fight as well.

now i just need to figure out how much pizza, chips and beer we're going to need.

5. Celtic Fan

Celtic Fan Well-Known Member

I believe it's $44.95 for the PPV. Add $10 if you can get it in HD [​IMG]

You'll needs tons of food cause it's 3 hours long [​IMG]

To get yourself even more psyched up for the event, Spike TV is showing UFC87 Countdown at 6:00 and it's always worth watching IMO.

you know, you should really take a stab at the pick'em picks too.. it'll add an element of interest for all of the fights and the price is right too [​IMG]

6. ghoti

ghoti A PhD in Horribleness

I forgot this was on!

Poor people who want to watch can PM me.

7. Real

Real Dumb and Dumbest

I've been ordering MMA events on PPV for a few months now and I've really enjoyed it. Don't know why I didn't get more involved earlier.

I really think Lesnar is going to get it done tonight. Forget the fact he's a pro wrestler, he's huge, pissed off and motivated.

I'm happy Kenny Florian won tonight too.

8. ghoti

ghoti A PhD in Horribleness

Lesnar dominated with ground control. He never let Herring go anywhere he wanted to go. Lesnar might be better off fighting like this. He's so big, he really doesn't need to risk going for submissions when he can control smaller opponents so easily.

9. speeds

That was a great PPV. Lesnar looked great, although he was a shitty winner; Emerson knocking-out Gamburyan? GTFO!; GSP dominated, no surprise, though Fitch is a tough SOB; Huerta lost, predictably; and Kongo is still a great kickboxer.

10. shookem

shookem Still not a bust

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (speeds @ Aug 10 2008, 12:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>That was a great PPV. Lesnar looked great, although he was a shitty winner; Emerson knocking-out Gamburyan? GTFO!; GSP dominated, no surprise, though Fitch is a tough SOB; Huerta lost, predictably; and Kongo is still a great kickboxer.</div>

i thought it was an excellent choice for my first UFC PPV in years. I got exactly what i wanted.

But yeah someone needs to remind brock that he isn't in wwe anymore and there's no need for the taunting afterwards. especially when you watch gsp and fitch after their's.

11. speeds

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shookem @ Aug 10 2008, 09:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (speeds @ Aug 10 2008, 12:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>That was a great PPV. Lesnar looked great, although he was a shitty winner; Emerson knocking-out Gamburyan? GTFO!; GSP dominated, no surprise, though Fitch is a tough SOB; Huerta lost, predictably; and Kongo is still a great kickboxer.</div>

i thought it was an excellent choice for my first UFC PPV in years. I got exactly what i wanted.

But yeah someone needs to remind brock that he isn't in wwe anymore and there's no need for the taunting afterwards. especially when you watch gsp and fitch after their's.
    </div>

I didn't like him clowning Herring before the fight was even over, but honestly, the sport needs villains, especially high profile ones. Brock can play that role.

12. speeds

$60,000 bonuses were awarded to:

Georges St. Pierre (Fight of the Night)
    Jon Fitch (Fight of the Night)
    Demian Maia (Submission of the Night)
    Rob Emerson (Knockout of the Night)

13. speeds

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Real @ Aug 9 2008, 10:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I've been ordering MMA events on PPV for a few months now and I've really enjoyed it. Don't know why I didn't get more involved earlier.</div>

Most PPVs are hit-and-miss but unlike boxing you're sure to see at least one good fight for your money. UFC 87 was fantastic with all six fights being very entertaining. Surprisingly the least entertaining fight of the night was the one that most were expecting to be a barnburner with Florian doing his Lyoto Machida impression against Huerta.

Also, be sure to check out UFC.com for the McCory/Cummo fight, which they are offering for free. Decent scrap between two angry nerds.

14. Big Frame

Big Frame Well-Known Member

Am I the only one who thught the Brock fight was boring? Yea his first punch was great then he layed on top of him. Know I understand why everyone hates Koz LOL

15. LakerBlood

LakerBlood M.V.P

I know this might be a little early. But... when would Brock's next fight approximately be? And who would he face? Just make opinions.

Great fight he had. Although he was really cocky at the end.

16. bbwtrench

bbwtrench BBW Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LakerBlood @ Aug 11 2008, 12:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I know this might be a little early. But... when would Brock's next fight approximately be? And who would he face? Just make opinions.

Great fight he had. Although he was really cocky at the end.</div>

I hate Lesnar even more now. I hope he gets cocky enough to want to fight a guy like Fedor down the line so he can get completely pwned.

17. Chocolove

Chocolove Active Member

I really enjoyed the Macdonald v. Maia fight. Macdonald was pretty much getting dominated but he had some good escapes, it was excited. GSP fight was fun to watch also. Lesnar's fight wasnt really that exciting and Lesnar is kinda a big douche bag.

18. Celtic Fan

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LakerBlood @ Aug 11 2008, 01:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I know this might be a little early. But... when would Brock's next fight approximately be? And who would he face? Just make opinions.

Great fight he had. Although he was really cocky at the end.</div>

He could fight once more before the end of the year as the UFC has 2 fight cards in September, 2 in October, a New Years card and have mentioned going back to Montreal before the end of the year.
    That requires a lot of talent so I'd expect Brock will be on the Nov or Dec card if he's not medically suspended (will know by the end of this week)

as for opponents?

Gabriel Gonzaga may be an option as is Antoni Hardonk. Gonzaga is a BJJ fighter who has solid stand up, but it's his ground game that makes it intriguing. Hardonk is a kick boxer and should be a squash match if Lesnar takes him down and pounds him out.

Nogeuira and Mir are coaching TUF 8 and then will fight for the title. I believe Werdum and Congo are next in line for a title shot, but Congo MAY be an option too.
    Congo's ground game has gone from non-existent to somewhat decent and if he can keep it standing he's a very good striker.

I don't see the UFC having him face Shane Carwin or Cain Velasquez this early. Those are your other two rising start HW's and I doubt they have any of the 3 fighters face each other until they're bigger names.

19. Celtic Fan

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Real @ Aug 9 2008, 11:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I've been ordering MMA events on PPV for a few months now and I've really enjoyed it. Don't know why I didn't get more involved earlier.

I really think Lesnar is going to get it done tonight. Forget the fact he's a pro wrestler, he's huge, pissed off and motivated.

I'm happy Kenny Florian won tonight too.</div>
    If you're ordering the PPV's you should be getting in on the Pick'em league too. The more the merrier I say [​IMG]

20. Celtic Fan

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Big Frame @ Aug 10 2008, 10:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Am I the only one who thught the Brock fight was boring? Yea his first punch was great then he layed on top of him. Know I understand why everyone hates Koz LOL</div>

I actually found it exciting even if a lot of it was lay and Pray by Brock. Just his size and domination of a 250 lbs man was impressive. That punch was absurd.
    I think once Brock gets another win or two, we'll see him become a bit more aggressive and try and win rather than fight for a decision.