UFC 96: Jackson vs. Jardine (Mar. 7th)

Discussion in 'MMA - Mixed Martial Arts' started by speeds, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Celtic Fan

Celtic Fan Well-Known Member

Rampage vs Evans will be super tough. Evans looks faster IMO, lighter on his feet too.
    going to be hard for Rampage to catch Evans much cause he moves so well.

2. Celtic Fan

I think Sardine won the first round.
    29-28 sounds right to me.

3. Mamba

Mamba The King is Back Staff Member Global Moderator

I agree. I think Evans has to be the favorite. Jackson has now seen Rampage fight one of his guys and is going to game plan for him perfectly. Evans' speed is also going to be a factor. I just hate him. He's a cocky, smug, arrogant son of a bitch.

Page has more power and if Evans can get caught, he'll be fucked, IMO. If Forrest can land some shots on him, than Page should be able to.

The nipple tweak is now a failure. I think that is two fights in a row now that it has lost.

4. Celtic Fan

soooooooo Brandon Vera can beat B level fighters... least he 'earned' his 100k+100k.. gawd.

5. Mamba

Yeah I know, but it was annoying.

"If Rampage didn't land that last knock down, Jardine would have won." Rampage closed out each round, Jardine didn't. Those leg kicks Rampage had to worry about did no damage and had little effect on the fight.

Don't get me wrong, Jardine gave a hell of a fight and took some fucking shots (we all know about Rampage's power), but he was just outclassed. You can give props to your teammate without downplaying his opponent's performance.

6. Mamba

I had it 30-27, with the 2nd round being close until Rampage closed it out at the end. Jardine had Rampage rocked after being rocked himself in that round.

7. speeds

speeds $2.50 highball, $1.50 beer Staff Member Administrator GFX Team

Eh, weird night of fights. I couldn't really get into it. Even the main event was strange.

Rampage didn't impress me with this win. He had Jardine in trouble a couple of times but didn't capitalize. Jardine had his chin out pointing at him all night, and he backed straight out of strikes wide open for Jackson's hook that never connected. Seemed like only a matter of time before Jardine would get KTFO but it didn't happen.

The trash talk between Jackson and Evans afterwards was awkward. They just should've done the mutual respect stuff most guys do in that situation.

I dunno if Shane Carwin is a contender or a lucky SOB, but he hits like a truck. He was getting worked by Gonzaga in the ninety or so seconds that fight lasted. Huge win for him, terrible loss for Gonzaga. Now they have to find someone to fight Carwin (if he is the number one contender). Maybe Velasquez? Maybe Pat Berry? I dunno.

Matt Brown/Pete Sell was fucked. Yves Lavigne stopped that fight then let it go. Sell could've been badly hurt. I really like Lavigne as a ref because he lets guys work their way out of trouble but that misstep could cost him his license. Sell is a hot and cold fighter who will look great sometimes (vs. Burkman) and awful other times.

Shit I did a bad job predicting the fights tonight.

Kendall Grove "is back"? Nah. He beat up Jason Day, who is a middle of the road fighter. Then he did the fucking Tito Ortiz routine again and embarrassed himself. Get your own thing, dude.

What else...

We left between the second and third round of Boetsch vs. Brillz and whatever, the fight wasn't interesting.

Neither was Maynard vs. Miller. Sometimes wrestlers make for a good standup battle. Other times its just a tour of the octagon with takedowns getting stuffed. I don't know, maybe I'm being hard on this one. I guess this sets up Maynard as one of the top lightweights. Who is next for him?

Is Mark Munoz dead? His striking actually made Matt Hamill's look devestating. Even his wrestling looked shitty. Chalk this one up to UFC jitters I guess.

8. speeds

Oh, Tamdan McCrory is the fucking man.

[video=youtube;stdqPT8LvTg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stdqPT8LvTg[/video]

9. Mamba

Hamill's striking hasn't looked bad in his last two fights. Its improving. I thought Hamill just outclassed him.

I thought the Maynard/Miller fight was awesome, the striking was good, Maynard just dominated.

10. speeds

$60,000 bonuses were handed out to Jackson, Jardine, and Hamill for the "of the night" honours. No submission of the night because Madigan tapped due to strikes.

11. huevonkiller

huevonkiller Change (Deftones)

Student.
    Wow I'm looking forward to Page's next fight. Hope I can catch a rerun of tonight's match later too.

12. DennisRodman

DennisRodman Suspended

The last hook in the 3rd round that dropped Jardine definitely connected.

I wouldn't say he was getting worked by Gonzaga it was back and forth, but Gonzaga did land a couple big shots early.

Regarding who to fight Carwin, since Couture and Nog are tied up, I'm guessing they do Kongo or possibly match him up with Crocop (3 months from now in June).

Hamill actually looked good against Bisping standing, most people felt he won that fight. However he did lose to Rich standing.

The only thing though his punches look so slow, maybe it is just me. He clearly has a lot of power, but he definitely doesn't have crazy hand speed. I think if he faced a striker like Rashad, Rampage, or Machida they would have a relatively easy time with him. Against those guys he would be smart to try to take the fight to the ground.

13. speeds

14. speeds

I mean I kept expecting Jardine to get Chuck Liddell'ed but he stuck with it.

Another good opponent for Carwin would be dos Santos. Kongo's got to get past Hardonk next month.

Something that shocks Hamill's opponents is that he charges forward and eats punches. He was totally exposed against Franklin but looks better against guys who are one-dimensional wrestlers.

I think he beat Bisping, though.

15. Chocolove

Chocolove Active Member

That Yves Lagvine thing was fucked up. I don't know what he was thinking but it was fucked.

16. Mamba

He made a mistake, a big one.

Yves is usually an awesome ref.

17. speeds

Yeah, I really like Yves as a ref. He lets guys work their way out of trouble. But he fucked up and should be penalized for it. Sell could've been badly hurt.

18. speeds

Look at this nonsense. Grove doesn't even put any effort into it. Stop it and fuck off you lanky prick.

[​IMG]

19. speeds

20. speeds

<div><object width="420" height="339"><param name="movie" value="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/x8lmdc" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><embed src="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/x8lmdc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="339" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always"></embed></object><br /><b><a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/x8lmdc">Hammmuno 96</a></b><br /><i>by <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/lapelchoke">lapelchoke</a></i></div>