Event UFC Fight Night 103: Rodríguez vs. Penn [Results]

Discussion in 'MMA - Mixed Martial Arts' started by speeds, Dec 2, 2016.

Added to Calendar: 01-15-17
  1. speeds

speeds $2.50 highball, $1.50 beer Staff Member Administrator GFX Team

I didn't see any of the prelims. The main card fights were not great.

Sergio Pettis looks to be improving but the gap between that division and DJ is an ocean. Can't really get excited for these middling guys in the division.

Court McGee vs. Ben Saunders would've been pretty great about five years ago. Not so much now.

I thought Lauzon/Held was close. Held had some takedowns but so what? I don't really mind the decision. But when the winning fighter tells everyone he lost there's something wrong.

Main event matchmaking, for me, made a lot of sense. Rodriguez elevates his status by killing off an "old lion" to bring back some EliteXC terminology. He missed his chance to call for a marquee fight afterwards. Edgar, Lamas, Swanson, any of those guys are good. If he doesn't get a top-5 opponent next time he's basically taking a slower road to a title shot simply by not calling shots. Some of these guys in the UFC don't seem to understand that "whatever the UFC wants me to do" is NOT how the top fighters in the company handle themselves.

With regards to BJ "empty your bank account to bet on me" Penn, that's four straight fights where he's been little more than a punching bag. He's now 1-6-1 since 2009. If the UFC gives him any more fights they are just being cynical at this point.

2. speeds

3. speeds

4. speeds

Rodriguez should've called out Cub Swanson, specifically. Swanson is riding his win over Choi, Rodriguez is another exciting match-up for him. Money fight.

Potential for Swanson to be a contender killer notwithstanding.

5. speeds

Goldy was at the show in Phoenix last night... in the stands... looking like he was sitting in a seat he paid for.

Stings.