Event UFC Fight Night 116: Rockhold vs. Branch [Results]

Discussion in 'MMA - Mixed Martial Arts' started by speeds, Aug 1, 2017.

Added to Calendar: 09-16-17
  1. speeds

speeds $2.50 highball, $1.50 beer Staff Member Administrator GFX Team

Rockhold, oddly, calls out GSP, telling him to back out of the fight with Bisping.

valo36 likes this.
  2. valo36

valo36 Active Member

If Usman does not get RDA, and Perry does not get Lawler, they could always just fight each other. I feel like that would be fun.

speeds likes this.
  3. valo36

valo36 Active Member

Also, I think the timing is right for the Weidman/Rockhold rematch with the winner climbing into title contention.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
    speeds likes this.
  4. speeds

Jacare's manager says they are fighting Weidman next.

5. speeds

I could only half-watch this event as Canelo/GGG was on at the same time.

Lots of good fights on this card. Gregor Gillespie vs. Jason Gonzales stood out.

Kamaru Usman is making a serious push. He wants to fight RDA but could also fight Mike Perry instead.

Hector Lombard got KO'd again and should be cut. He's getting punchy and I worry for his long term health. Guys like him and Manhoef are too high risk to be in the UFC. Smith was not a high level opponent and Smith took his best shots.

Perry's KO of Polo Reyes was good but that fight was a bad mismatch. Perry called out Lawler but I think that is a stretch. He should either fight Thiago Alves or go for Usman I think. I really don't like Perry but it's hard to deny he has potential. No need to rush him into eliminators.

Branch bull-rushed Rockhold in the first. Rockhold stayed calm and got through the early storm. He dominated the second round. There is no doubt in my mind he would fuck up Michael Bisping if they had a rubber match. However Rockhold decided to chastise GSP instead of call for the winner after his fight. If GSP beats Bisping that is such a monkey wrench in the whole division. The winner is probably going on to face Whittaker. This leaves Rockhold without an opponent (supposing Weidman/Jacare is a go). Shame since Rockhold/Weidman is a better match. Rockhold/Romero doesn't make a lot of sense. Rockhold/Mousasi would've worked nicely as well but they fucked that one. He's in a shitty spot right now looking at not getting a title fight for at least nine months. Maybe he'll just take whatever he can get in the interim.

6. valo36

valo36 Active Member

Ilir Latifi may be free at the moment and is in the top 10 at 205 lbs. If dude is serious about fighting at 205 could be a good first opponent for him.

speeds likes this.
  7. speeds

It's weird. I like it.