Zombie Umm I think we're better than last year.

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by KingSpeed, Oct 12, 2015.

1. VanillaGorilla

VanillaGorilla Well-Known Member

If those are the three players you name that you think would be better than him on that team, I think that means he was pretty damn special. And we just can't know if they would have fit as perfectly as he did.

Draco likes this.
  2. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

You said that no other point guard in recent times could look as good as Rondo on that team, and I disagreed. I named three guys that I thought could look as good, or better, on that team. That's without even thinking too hard about it. I think Deron Williams at that point in time would have looked great on that team as well.

3. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

I think this team could use another shooter.

4. VanillaGorilla

VanillaGorilla Well-Known Member

I don't think Deron Williams would have fit as well with that team as Rondo did. This is entirely opinion though, there's really no point in arguing further.

5. ThugginPaulyGAllen

ThugginPaulyGAllen Active Member

We're doing it without G-Hendo as well. I'm sure he will be a net PLUS when he comes back.

That said, man, I was never super HIGH on Aldridge - but some of the stuff coming out of the Spurs media makes you wonder... He might've been holding us back. Ball stopper. Jump shots. Had the franchise cater to him (not a team player it seems, based on what he said that he would try harder to mesh with others in SA). Indecisive.

I'm excited for this season - we are young, dumb enough to think we belong, and athletic and deep. I don't see many weaknesses on this roster, it is very versatile.

KingSpeed and Draco like this.
  6. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

Looks like one of those doesn't belong with the rest. I just think he's "very good", not "HOF". I can have my opinion, you have yours. All stars are becoming the way of the Pro Bowl, anyway. I don't hold much credence to them, especially if you're in the east.

7. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

He'll start at SG when he comes back.

8. Blazinaway

Blazinaway Well-Known Member

I think they will be fun to watch but this is a ridiculously titled thread, but no surprise

9. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Because Cuban runs the show.

NO WAY!

HCP, Eric is right. I also think you are overvaluing Wes and Nic. First, Nic NEVER lived up to his potential and was always a "what could he become?" I think too many people are still stuck on that, but the fact is he had what... 6-7 seasons to become with us and never did? He may still become that player, but it wasn't going to be with us, and that was obvious. So if you compare the Nic we had and not the Nic of potential, yes I also believe Amino will be comparable. not quite the same game, but will have the same amount of impact for us. Harkless so far looks like he might bring MORE than what Nic did.
    Wes is a 3 and D guy, but couldn't dribble or make a layup for the life of him, pretty one dimensional overall and I wonder how much better his teammates actually made him. Don't get me wrong, love him. noe of my fav Blazers of all time, because heart wins people over and he had alot of it. but his skills and on court game was average, maybe slightly above.

You say LA down low left open was a dread to teams, but how often was he out there? The dude is the king of the worst shot in the game and that is not in the paint, so to say he was down low demanding attention is far from accurate.

Dame will get more pressure there is no doubt about it, but if he finds the open guy, there should be many lobs and in the paint passes to guys for layups and dunks. Id much rather have Dame go 20/12/5, then go 30/6/6. This means he is finding the bigs in the paint. Plumlee, Davis, a cutting Meyers from the 3line, etc.

On your side note, I totally agree. IF AMino stays down low in the face of the opponent we will win ten more games this season then if he posts up at the 3 line and tries to drive to the hole, ala Nic.

Eric, I am with you man. This team is only going to improve, where as teams like GS and the clips, they cant really improve their chemistry, they already know each other too well. This team is still finding itself and will continue to do so well into the season, of which I expect to see the continue to improve, weed out the weaknesses and focus on the strengths. By the trade deadline move a couple players not working out and maybe some cash for an all star. Hopefully make the 8th seed. We do that and this next off season we should be able to land a top tier guy to go with Dame and the trade deadline acquisition. Combine that with the core that emerges from this season and lookout western conference!!! Call me a homer, but I think there are way more homers here just leaning the opposite direction. ;)

10. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I like the way we compare our roster to championship rosters like they've played together for years already...we're just getting our feet wet and Stotts has just started coaching this squad..I'd give them until Xmas at least to start evaluating how they'll work as a unit. You can see Plumlee, Aminu, Vonleh and Davis are overthinking the offensive sets but what nobody is ignoring is team defense, which tells me the coaching staff has it's priorities straight

KingSpeed and Orion Bailey like this.
  11. oldmangrouch

oldmangrouch persona non grata

Question: is recreational pot now legal in Oregon?

Answer: read this thread!

Nikolokolus and Tunchi like this.
  12. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

It always is interesting to me when people talk about Nic's potential. Shit......the guy was like what, the 28th pick in the god damned draft. He has has played above and beyond ANY potential anybody could have on him.

BBert likes this.
  13. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    Good catch.

14. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    Wikipedia says 10 times

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Bosh

15. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

Most definitely the first 4 years he was here.

The last 3 years he wasn't on a rookie contract; he was the second highest paid player on the team so expectations change.

Orion Bailey likes this.
  16. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

17. HailBlazers

HailBlazers RipCity

Not to mention he was pegged to go much higher in the draft if it wasn't for health concerns.

Tunchi and Orion Bailey like this.
  18. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

So your basing your assessment of him off where he was drafted? UGh. Yes. Draft rank is an assessment of the player...at the time of the draft. Michael Jordan was drafted number 2, so does that mean that every player drafted number 2 has the potential of Jordan? Come on man, gimme a break.

The fact is, and your smart enough to know this I would think, is that Nic has all star potential, a unique body and gift set for the game. An acute court awareness. If he had Dames work ethic or Wes's heart, he would be all first team defense and career average 23/8/8. Instead he would disappear, sometimes for weeks at a time. He is a soft player who doesn't know how to play aggressive. That's all I think anyone really wanted to see more of out of him is aggression and heart. Instead he goes to Euro ball and punches players in the nuts.
    Nic has yet to come close to reaching his potential, though he may have reached his peak.

Tunchi likes this.
  19. Tunchi

Tunchi Well-Known Member

Right on.. Batum was garbage hated that guy

Orion Bailey likes this.
  20. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

He was a Blazer, so...we know you did.

riverman and HailBlazers like this.