Unemployed Free Agent List is Diminishing

Discussion in 'New York Yankees' started by Yankeefan5545, Mar 11, 2018.

1. Yankeefan5545

Yankeefan5545 Well-Known Member

Retired
    Listened to Ron Darlings comments on Free Agency during the Yankees Mets game and agreed with his thoughts. Where I agree that players have the right to sell their services to another team, Team Owners also have the right to say I may want you but not at your asking price. Saw an article on players returning to their old teams at less than expected earning which brought up accusations of collusion. Again, teams have the right to pass on your baseball resume and go elsewhere. Moustakas is now pimping the old John Denver Great to be back home routine. Dumb shit turned down a nice one year deal with KC, no one else wanted him hence its great to be back home Right Moustakas. Cargo also returned to the Rockies, nobody wanted him either. Darlings remarks were that Free Agency Signing were goin to be based on analytics and what can you do now that what is on the back of your baseball card. Players in their early thirties especially pitchers will probably have to get more realistic in their contact lengths and salaries. Just saw that Arieta got a deal with the Phillies, don't know the length or amount but I guess the Phillies have the money to fork out tp get what they believe one to have gas in the tank.

Mattingly23NY likes this.
  2. Mattingly23NY

Mattingly23NY Turning Fastballs Into Souveneir's ~

Ret. Quality OPS/Engr. Mgr.

^^^^

I was surprised Anaheim didn't pick Moose up. He was as highly heralded as a High School player in L.A. and the State, as they come. Moose playing for the hometown crowd would of been interesting, or maybe not.

Moose is streaky for the most part imo. He's either hot or cold; and playing for his hometown fans, would probably of made NO difference in his game.

That being said, it's good to see Borass lose a round of Poker; (hope he soon becomes totally impertinent)...
    Tho' I don't agree with everything this article states, one thing for sure, MLB has moved more in the direction of being the big Business it is, or has become. Not as much a sport these days, as it is- big Corporations with Commodities as players.

even Swarzak will make more $$$ than Moose this year w/t Royals....lmao!!!
    http://mlb.nbcsports.com/2018/03/09/mike-moustakas-deal-shows-just-how-broken-free-agency-is/

3. Mattingly23NY

here's a 2nd decent article. I disagree with the articles Headline- (and some of its contents) - "After 'system failure' Moose and others try moving on from grim Winter".

Not a "system failure", imo as much as its merely a (fkd up system - big $$$ business) revealing its inherent flaws, after decades of slowly evolving from many ignorant decisions. Or- the counter process, from/for greedy agents/players/teams, et al. After decades of questionable business practices. Like watching a spoiled child evolving into a fkd up adult.... Merely the consequences of the businesses past actions, and bad or poor/questionable decisions...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...e/2018/03/11/mike-moustakas-royals/414839002/

Lillie likes this.
  4. Yankeefan5545

Retired
    One plays the game and takes their chances. When one looks for a "real Word" job we see that "salary desired" blank on the application. You can fill in your desired amount but the interviewer will tell you "We offer _dollar per hour. From that point the ball is in your court take the job or go elsewhere chasing your salary. I can't feel sorry for these people, to the Free Agency point of their careers and are pretty well off. And again they have the right to sell their services elsewhere but if teams aren't willing to pay the price tough shit. Going back it looks like Philly is giving Arieta 3 years and 75 mil so looks like he made out but it could have gone the other way.

5. yankeesince59

yankeesince59 "Oh Captain, my Captain".

...with the exception of the very risky Arrieta deal, it seem that the owners/GMs have finally come to their senses on the FA market. Over-paying and over-extending fringe players or one year wonders plus giving up a draft pick has never made sense to me...Tony Clarke and the MLBPA may see it as collusion but I don't...I see it as smart business sense.

Mattingly23NY and stampedehero like this.
  6. stampedehero

stampedehero Make Your Day, a Doobies Day Staff Member Moderator

Part Time Building Inspector
    >I'm sure the Phillies will end up watching rather than participating in the playoffs. That is my pre season prediction.

7. Yankeefan5545

Retired
    Arieta with Baltimore & Cubs salary was 1,824,000

Srieta with Cubs salary was 29,862000

Pending salary with Philly: 75,000,00

Damn, those are some hefty pay raises., collusion now way, overpayment by Philly time will tell.

8. Lillie

Lillie Well-Known Member

I heard The Yankees signed 2B Neil Walker.

9. Yankeefan5545

Retired
    Just saw the article on Walker, 1 year, 5 millions bucks, pending on a physical. Lots of competition for Yankees infielders. Always thought Walker was a decent player. A Pittsburgh local boy could not believe that the Pirates traded him.

10. Mattingly23NY

^^^^^
    Bingo....

11. Messiah717

Messiah717 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Walker goes from nearly $15 million last year to $5 million this year.

Lillie and Mattingly23NY like this.
  12. Mattingly23NY

Wow, startling of which I was unaware. I like this downward $$$ trend in contract signings over the last 2 years...

I've always loved the concept of pay-for-performance. Something we will never see, as the players union would never agree to...

Lillie likes this.
  13. yankeesince59

...the acquisition of Walker is a great move...always liked the guy...switch hitter who can play 1B, 2B, and 3B, and about as consistent and steady as they get.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  14. yankeesince59

...not that it really matters but some news outlets are saying $4 Mil and some are saying $5 Mil...regardless, this team is stacked.

15. Mattingly23NY

I like the diversity with these infield possibilities. The majority can play multiple positions, which could be a big benefit... Sweet ~!~

Lillie likes this.