Untouchables, Tradeables, and Keepables

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by GhostOfPGA, Aug 4, 2020.

1. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    I hope Nurk doesn't read this board. He might want to force a new contract. :(

2. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Dame needs to help him get inked to his own shoe and then the contact money wont be as important.

3. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

It worries me irrationally that Nurk switched over to Klutch a few months back.

4. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

I love Nurk but he's not nearly as impactful as Jokic, Embiid or Gobert. It does seem he's in the best shape of his career now and is playing well, but he's still a tier bellow the top guys.

STOMP

5. GDiama

GDiama Well-Known Member

Well he cannot really force anything for the next 2 years

6. tykendo

tykendo Don't Tread On PDX

What? He's easily as impactful as Gobert. He's just as good defensively, and twice the offensive player. He might not be as good offensively as Jokic, but he's twice the defender. I call BS and stomp that nonsense out.

7. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Stomp got Stomped? LOL. Don't know why I find that so funny.

8. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

Trent doesn't get those wide open looks without CJ or Dame also on the court. Not sure he can carry the team the way CJ can and has done many times.

KSF-ERIC likes this.
  9. GhostOfPGA

GhostOfPGA The late great Paul Allen

Well assuming CJ landed us a high quality forward, I think it would be fine.

10. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

Excellent point I forgot about that he had. Thats a huge factor.

11. Phatguysrule

Phatguysrule Well-Known Member

Lillard is Untouchable.

Nurk is nearly untouchable.

CJ is more valuable to us than he would be to anybody else.

Everybody else can be had for the right price.

12. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

I agree with you on this. I do like CJ. Also his bond with the team and Lillard is strong. He is willing and fine with being second on the team. He steps up big in games when Lillard is out. He has really improved on defense, everyone who has been paying attention knows this. He wants to be in Portland. He is a tireless worker and has an impeccable moral standard (even likes wine). Well spoken and very well educated. Can make his own shot at the drop of a hat. Can score 40 on any given night and has scored 50 before in a game vs Denver. His numbers get better in the Playoffs and huge games. Has hit many game winners. This year is hitting over 38% from three and his career numbers from three are even higher at 39.8%.. Yep almost a career 40% 3 pt shooter.

You get me a "Quality Forward" that brings all that then I'm all for it. Sure.

13. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

i think its possible When both Dame & CJ extended there is an understanding the two would be together through the extensions and Ive heard Dame Comment that was their position. Once the extensions are up they would readdress things.
    I think they are signed through 23/24.

14. HolyBackboard

HolyBackboard 2 Hot 2 Stop It

I've been thinking about this thread a lot lately during the scrimmages and first-half of the seeding games. I never wanted to answer after a win, because emotions are real and everything seems perfect. But after a loss, especially one that saw plenty of our players contribute to the result, I figured it was time. I also wanted to see if I was swayed by a win or a loss in regards to moving a player up or down a tier. I know personally, I tend to have knee-jerk reactions so it's going to be interesting to see the results.

Without further ado ..

(TRULY) UNTOUCHABLES

Damian Lillard
    - Arguably Portland's best player in franchise history. Dame is locked into a long-term deal with the Blazers and is just now hitting his prime. It would be wrong to move Dame, even if the Lakers offered LeBron and Davis. We win with Dame. We lose with Dame. We ride with Dame. That's the bottom line.

UNTOUCHABLES

CJ McCollum
    - This will probably surprise a few as CJ is the Blazer most seem willing to trade to upgrade the roster. I don't see it. CJ inked a long-term extension last summer, rather than test the open market this summer (err fall?). Like Lillard, McCollum is loyal to the Rose City ... that matters to me. Having another playmaker like CJ on the roster also opens up the floor for players like Gary Trent Jr. and takes on some of the playmaking load from Lillard. Two final points: His performance increases in the playoffs and he's been with us for seven years. I really want to win with Dame and CJ.

Jusuf Nurkic
    - Assuming Nurk is able to stay healthy, he is arguably the best center in the league and he's under a team-friendly deal for two more seasons. Factor in age, chemistry with Lillard, and defensive impact ... there's not an upgrade available.

Bottom Line: Dame, CJ, and Nurk are Portland's Big 3. We're either winning a chip with them or not winning one at all. I think it's pretty clear we're going to ride with this Big 3.

Gary Trent Jr.
    - Is this recency bias? You bet your sweet ass it is. Two-way wings are at a premium in today's NBA. Trent Jr. not only spaces the floor with his knock-down shooting ability, he's becoming Portland's best perimeter defender, and he plays with a chip on his shoulder.

KEEPERS

Carmelo Anthony
    - Melo still has it. For the most part, I haven't been upset with his shot selection and he doesn't seem to stop the ball as much as anticipated. He's a beloved teammate, a vet, and a certified bucket, especially on the catch and shoot.

Wenyen Gabriel
    - Love his defensive potential. He likely doesn't carry much trade value, so I'd love to see him develop under our coaching staff.

Nassir Little
    - See above with the added notion that I think he's progressing nicely as an outside shooter.

Rodney Hood
    - Love Rodney. Do not forget he shot nearly 50% from 3 before the injury. His ability to play post offense is another wrinkle the coaching staff can add to their gameplan. Also, he's coming off of an Achilles injury. He means more to us than he does to the rest of the league.

TRADE PIECES

Anfernee Simons
    - Love Ant, but I do think too much was expected out of him this season. The hype train was a little out of control. He's still 20 years old with a ton of potential. In most normal Blazer seasons, you would hold onto a player like Ant but we need to go all-in to win now.

Trevor Ariza
    - I want to make this crystal clear: this has nothing to do with Ariza not joining the Blazers in the bubble. If Ariza were just five years younger, I'd be all aboard keeping him. And, to be honest, I wouldn't mind if he kept him still, but his contract at $12 million (for 1 year if guaranteed) is an attractive trade piece to find a more long-term solution. Our roster clicked immediately after acquiring Trevor from Sacramento, but again, to get you must give.

Zach Collins
    - This is a tough call for me. Zach has the potential to become everything we want in a modern NBA big but, similar to Ant, how long will it take? Zach's defense is still solid, but his foul habits are concerning as is his strength with the ball in his hands. I'd also like for him to be a better finisher around the rim.

Mario Henzonja
    - A little too turnover prone for my liking, gets lost too often on help-side defense.

UNDECIDED

Hassan Whiteside
    - Again, I love Hassan and his personality. From his social, it seems like he wants to be a Blazer for a long time. When he plays, it's difficult to tell if he's going 100% or if he's dinged up (I'm certain he played through injury this year because we had no other big bodies). A couple questions need to be answered: 1) Does he want to come off the bench here? 2) What type of salary is he looking for? 3) What other backup C options are out there? Remember, keeping Hassan does not deter us from using the MLE.

kjironman1 and Orion Bailey like this.
  15. KSF-ERIC

KSF-ERIC Well-Known Member

In 3 quarters, no less. I'm behind you 100%

kjironman1 likes this.
  16. KSF-ERIC

KSF-ERIC Well-Known Member

This is what I've been saying.

STOMP and kjironman1 like this.
  17. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

I'd trade CJ for Khris Middleton.

18. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

well yeah, no wonder, Middleton is better than CJ. That would be a great trade for Portland except for Middleton's contract. I question if either player is worth their deal but I guess that's the way the league is heading

19. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

Just as good as Gobert defensively??? Other then your silly ass, does anyone think this? Certainly the stats & professionals who recognize game don't agree. Rudy has been voted on the All NBA Defensive 1st team three times and is the two time reigning Defensive Player of the Year while Nurk hasn't made a 1st or 2nd team. In his 7 seasons in the league, only his rookie year was Gobert not in the top 10 in Defensive Win Shares while Nurk only once finished in the top 10 with a 9th place finish in 2017-8. As to Nurkic being "twice the offensive player", he has a career scoring average of 0.1 points more then Gobert who consistently sits atop the league in TS%. Rudy has made two All NBA teams & is an All Star. Despite being in the league a year longer, Nurk hasn't received either of those honors once yet he's "easily as impactful" Oooookay!

Good grief man, what a joke of a post. Hopefully you were making a funny, if not you should sign your posts HOMER.

STOMP

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
    wizenheimer likes this.