Up to 2 Million March on D.C. to Protest Big Spending

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by Denny Crane, Sep 12, 2009.

1. barfo

barfo triggered obsessive commie pinko Staff Member Global Moderator

Yes. I'm trying to give you some.

barfo

2. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    Your pixel math is silly. Because of perspective, in the visual sense.

Watch the youtube video and you'll see that there was a constant stream of giant crowd moving through that intersection for hours.

3. barfo

Oddly, you didn't link the youtube video as evidence, you linked a still picture and asked us to believe that showed 1.5M people. So I responded to that.

The pixel math does work, because that first picture only shows a few blocks worth of people.

Edit: besides, in what sense can you say a picture "shows" something that is beyond the resolution of the photo? If you point your camera at the sky and take a picture, does it show trillions of stars? There might be trillions of stars up there, but you sure can't see them in the photo.

But if you don't like that, you can calculate the square footage of ground available in the picture for people to stand on, and figure at a mimimum, 1 sf per person. You'll find that those first two pictures don't show anywhere near 1.5 million square feet. The third one, maybe.

barfo

Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
  4. mook

mook The 2018-19 season was the best I've seen

Buy a recipe binder at CookbookPeople.com
    Actually, he refuses to deny that he raped and murdered a woman in 1990. Now, I'm not saying he did it, in fact I don't think he did, I just find it interesting that he refuses to address the issue by providing supporting material about how he didn't rape and murder the woman.

5. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    [​IMG]

1.2 Miles from the capitol steps to the Washington memorial. 200 people across, ~5280 feet, person takes 1x1 ft = ~1.5M people.

[​IMG]

That looks like a crowd of people more than a mile long. Completely filling TWO streets (there's a Y intersection close to the bottom of the photo).

6. yakbladder

yakbladder Grunt Third Class

King of Norway
    Besides the fact that this is one of the most ridiculous debates on here...

How many people do you know who take 1X1 ft of space? That would have to be one compressed group of folks in orderly line-up (goose-stepping perhaps) who didn't mind smelling their neighbors aftershave and/or armpits.

7. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    I was using Barfo's 1sq ft/person figure.

In this photo, you can see the capitol building on the horizon. That's over 4 kilometers from where the picture was taken. According to google maps. Feel free to do your own figuring.

[​IMG]

8. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    Odd that they were using Terry Schiavo on a poster, when it was Republicans that kept her alive against what was popular opinion and what her husband and her (according to her will) wanted.

9. barfo

Which is a conservative (mosh pit) number, and probably valid only when the participants are standing rather than marching. Walking takes up more space.

The capital may be 4km, but we certainly can't see whether the crowd extends anywhere near that far.

I think I'm going to trust the DC police department on this one. Fun though it is to analyze pictures, my guess is they have more reliable methods for estimating crowd size (like counting the number of bus parking permits they've given out, for example).

DC police dept says 60-70K, I see no reason to doubt them.

barfo

10. mook

mook The 2018-19 season was the best I've seen

Buy a recipe binder at CookbookPeople.com
    It's pretty easy to resolve this debate. Present a half dozen photos like the ones from Obama's inauguration. Cite some credible sources from within the United States that actually agree with you.

This thread just reminds me of a past obsession with Zogby and how McCain was going to win in a landslide. It's pretty clear, IMO, that most media sources agree this isn't anything close to Obama's inauguration in size and scope. If it were, we'd see a ton more photographs and reporting to that end.

11. deception

deception JBB Banned Member

question: out of the millions and millions that marched? how many do u think actually voted for obama?

12. Fez Hammersticks

Fez Hammersticks スーパーバッド Zero Cool

Phone Psychic
    Million moron march...

13. blazerboy30

blazerboy30 Well-Known Member

Agreed. People who want to protest unsustainable amounts of government spending, borrowing and taxing are total morons.

:cheers:

14. MrJayremmie

MrJayremmie Well-Known Member

fixed.

15. blazerboy30

You must have missed this earlier post:

No other president, Republican or Democrat, has ever even approached the kind of spending Obama is trying to accomplish.

Take a break from your partisan goggles for awhile. It would do you some good.

16. MrJayremmie

MrJayremmie Well-Known Member

OK. Minus the stimulus, lets say Bush got 4 more years, you think it would be any different, if not more under him? With a recession (bailouts, stimulus), 2 wars, ungodly tax cuts, ungodly military spending, healthcare costs, and so on... you think it would be different under a republican president?

LOL. Give Obama a surplus and we'll see how he does compared to that monstrosity we've had the past 8 yrs.

And i find your partisan remark quite humorous, coming from your "right" way of thinking. You act like the Republicans are the party of fiscal responsibility, lol. Maybe when they are out of power.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  17. BlazerWookee

BlazerWookee UNTILT THE DAMN PINWHEEL!

Gear Finisher
    Funny thing about the 9/12 marches. It came on a Saturday because most of the people who attended actually work for a living during the week. Oh, and How much tear gas needed to be used? How many police incidents occurred? How many arrests? Hmmmm...

18. yakbladder

yakbladder Grunt Third Class

King of Norway
    Or they didn't believe enough in the cause to take a vacation day. Or they were unemployed because of previous craptacular economic policies. Or they just felt so strongly about the issue they decided it was a high priority for them and if it got them in trouble at work so be it. Or they worked extra outside of the protest time to make up for it. Or they owned the business and told their employees to go. Or...or....or...

Funny how each side tries to paint the other as a bunch of worthless people And rather than turning the other cheek or being a "man" and rising above such petty insults they just point to the other side and go "Well, they said this and this, so I can do the same!"

19. blazerboy30

You're very confused. It is difficult to even respond to such sporadic thoughts, that aren't even true.

- The stimulus (~$700 billion) is going to look like a drop in the bucket compared to the $9 Trillion deficit and $~20 TRILLION debt.

- We were in two wars during Bush's last term. Add that spending in, and we are still nowhere near Obama's deficits.

- Projections show that Obama will rack up as much debt in 4 years as Bush did in 8 years.

- The CBO studies show that with Obama's healthcare proposals, overall healthcare spending in the country will go UP.

Luckily when Bush would have at least had the pushback from a Dem controlled house and senate.

This just doesn't even make sense. Are you trying to say that if Obama had been given a surplus, he would be spending LESS? Wow. Just wow.

You're building nothing but a strawman here. Please show me where I said that the Republicans (in the last few terms) have been fiscally responsible.

You're clearly not doing research, or not understanding what you are reading. You are not paying any attention to what I post. And then you happily continue to post bumper-sticker quotes from your party lines.

maxiep likes this.
  20. PapaG

PapaG Banned User BANNED

I find it interesting that you would fall for this obvious stunt. :cheers: