**UPDATED** Cliff Harris stopped for driving 118 Darron Thomas was in the car

Discussion in 'Oregon Ducks' started by SlyPokerDog, Jun 13, 2011.

1. BLAZER PROPHET

BLAZER PROPHET Well-Known Member

dental malpractice claims adjuster
    I don't understand the issue here. I had read on a blog that Thomas was in the car but not high. Harris ended up owning up to pretty much all he did. He was punished. Thomas wasn't. Now, OSU Sheep, errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, Beavers are talking like this is the cataclysmic destruction of the team.

2. Wheels

Wheels Is That A Challenge?!?!1! Staff Member Global Moderator

oh no! Weed!?!?!? MARIS61!!!! :cheers:

3. BLAZER PROPHET

Never. He doesn't touch the light stuff. Just read his posts.

4. Targus

Targus Suspended

Keeping you safe. If I tell you more, you would b
    Where is the issue?? Harris passed a FST. No marijuana (which is a violation in Oregon for possession under an ounce) was discovered during the stop. He made stupid decisions/choices and needs to pay the price. The matter is settled, and dates back to June. It's not like the Oregon players received 36 counts of hosting a party for minors, 36 counts of furnishing alcohol to minors and a charge of unlawful amplified sound which are criminal municipal code violations, and misdemeanors - two days after being warned by their head coach --- LIKE THE BEAVS. http://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/index.ssf/2011/08/oregon_state_football_despite.html

"I know exactly what the situation was and I'm not concerned with Darron Thomas.

No individuals were cited for possession of marijuana or any other drug charge.
    When questioned about the new information after practice this afternoon, Kelly was rather straight-forward about the revelations.

"I knew this information for awhile," said Kelly. "It's not new information for us."

Kelly went on to say that Thomas remains the unquestioned leader of his football team and described Thomas' leadership skills as, "good as I've been around."

Kelly was also pressed about Harris' admission to the OSP officer that the passengers had smoked all the marijuana. When asked if he had any concerns about Harris' statement, Kelly said "No," stating, "I saw Cliff go through a sobriety test (on the dashboard video) that the OSP officer let him go on."

"It always concerns me when there's anything like that around our players," Kelly continued, "but I know Cliff was not charged with anything...I would prefer my players aren't anywhere. I would prefer my players be in bed at midnight."

http://oregon.scout.com/2/1096500.html

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  5. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    Ya think that may be because they didn't search the car? Even after they were stopped for going 118 mph? Even after they smelled marijuana? Even after the driver said they smoked it?

6. Targus

Targus Suspended

Are you saying the officer didn't do his job?

7. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    I'm saying they were lucky they weren't stopped by the Corvallis Police.

8. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

He's saying that everyone should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law*.

*If they go to the U of O.

9. JFizzleRaider

JFizzleRaider Sad Panda Global Moderator

It's true. Corvallis police seem to be a new level of asshole.

things Corvallis police would freak out about, a Gresham officer would move along.

10. Natebishop3

That's because Gresham/Portland PD are more worried about people being shot. Corvallis PD are worried about making money off kids who are drinking.

11. BoBoBREWSKI

BoBoBREWSKI BURP!

So you guys think Thomas isnt smoking weed, yet he's been a passenger three times in a car that cops found or smelled weed? I'm not saying he should be busted/punished... just saying he cant be 100% innocent.
    Regardless, this is more negative attention the Ducks dont need.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  12. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    You mean Thomas.

13. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

I have so...

pretty much nothing can hold my attention at 4:30 in the morning

STOMP

14. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

I'm meaning what I said. I wouldn't really care if any Blazer or Duck or Husky or Laker smoked pot or drank as long as they weren't behind the wheel endangering others, and Kelly doesn't seem to think that Thomas was even guilty of that this case. I'd care if a player was such a stoner or drunk that they embarrassed themselves being an idiot like the USC running back recently or if it was concerning the coach, but I know plenty of very successful people who can manage having a few beers in the evening and still kick butt at their work.

I'm pretty sure that they don't test college players for pot... it's also my assumption that quite a few from most every team smoke at least occasionally. At least in my circles of friends there have always been some people that smoked and others who didn't. Hell, I play disc golf pretty regularly, like the Grateful Dead and surfing, yet don't smoke. Your "he cant be 100% innocent" statement is at least a few % off.

you're right that they don't need the negative attention that you're trying to bring, but I really don't think it matters much to anyone outside those few who obsess on hating the Ducks. The U is putting things into perspective, and relatively this is jaywalking.

STOMP

15. Natebishop3

Driving 118 is the problem here. Who cares about whether they smelled weed?

16. BLAZER PROPHET

The officers appraised the situation, the truthfulness of the players and acted accordingly. They gave Harris a field sobriety test (he easily passed). Maybe if they had been OSU players the officers would have been more sheepish, but I doubt it.

17. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

18. BoBoBREWSKI

BoBoBREWSKI BURP!

Negative attention I'm trying to bring? That's hilarious! Thanks for the laugh! Last I checked I'm a nobody... I cant bring any attention to a college football team. I'm not the local/national media. It doesnt matter? Is that why it was on the front page of ESPN, KATU, KGW etc etc. yesterday? When it involves the Ducks... lots of people care (good or bad). This would be big news if it involved any top college team and their star QB. That's the price ya pay for being good.
    I hardly obsess over hating on the Ducks... and you obviously hardly read and understand my posts.
    Relatively this is jaywalking? Sure it is... keep telling yourself that. I wish smoking weed was viewed like jaywalking, but we all know its not. Nor is underage drinking, fighting, stealing laptops, stealing sheep, busting into a womens house naked, etc. etc. etc.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  19. Targus

Targus Suspended

Also for the record, Harris was honest and cooperative, in addition to respectful to the officer. On the flip-side, you have four OSU players receive 32 offenses (including misdemeanor crimes) who hide and attempt to trick the police when first confronted. Kudos to Cliff for being a man who is willing to be honest and accept the consequences of his actions.

20. BLAZER PROPHET

What's wrong with that?