USA sets strong friendlies for November

Discussion in 'Americas' started by agoo, Oct 23, 2009.

1. agoo

agoo Member

Since it became official that the US didn't have to worry about Uruguay on the 14th and 18th of November, Sunil Gulati and the US Soccer Federation have been pretty busy scheduling friendlies.

A match on the 18th in Aarhus is confirmed, while a match against Slovakia is strongly rumored. According to Ives, the Slovakian manager has confirmed the match, but the USSF has not yet done so.

These friendlies could be a great measuring stick for the US as both will be headed to South Africa. They aren't Brazil, Italy, or Germany (or Spain, but been there, done that), but they are very strong teams in the second tier of football, which the US is trying to firmly establish themselves in.

This could be an interesting roster for Bob Bradley as well. As is well document, Davies and Onyewu are both out. Here's a line-up I'd like to see:

Altidore-Dempsey
    Donovan-Bradley-Feilhaber-Holden
    Castillo-Marshall-Bocanegra-Spector
    Howard

Castillo could make his debut since switching from Mexico in these two matches, but Bornstein played strong in the last couple of matches. Jermaine Jones has also been confirmed, but his shin injuries could keep him out until its too late for him. This would be a great opportunity to try Maurice Edu as a center back at the highest level, but he too is out injured. Other strong candidates for call-ups include Jeff Cunningham (MLS leading goal scorer) and Michael Orozco, while Bryan Arguez and Mikkel Diskerud are long-shots that I'd like to see.

2. Colonel Ronan

Colonel Ronan Continue...?

Control Center analyst
    Are there any other friendly rumors going around?

Slovakia would be a good test but I can look no further than a US win.

3. agoo

agoo Member

Denmark is confirmed for the 18th. There was something about Holland in 2010, but I don't know the date for that.

I know Mexico has 8 planned for the run up to the World Cup. I'm guessing that the US will schedule a couple here and then one there before the Cup starts. I remember attending a match against Latvia in East Hartford before '06, which should have been my first indication that it would be a rough Cup for the US.

Ideally, I'd like to see the US include the loser of the Costa Rica-Uruguay playoff, Togo, and Israel. The loser of the playoff will be the toughest match in the group, but still winnable. Togo has a superstar forward and no one else. Israel won't be outworked.

4. Colonel Ronan

Colonel Ronan Continue...?

Control Center analyst
    Yup, don't worry, he won't be much of a threat.