USA v. El Salvador - matchday

Discussion in 'Americas' started by agoo, Sep 5, 2009.

1. agoo

agoo Member

We're in the 68th minute now and Bornstein finally gets into the attack, but sends a low cross into his defender and it bounces back off of Bornstein for a goal kick. I'm starting my Edgar Castillo count down shortly.

2. agoo

agoo Member

In the 70th now and John Harkes takes a swipe at the English by commenting that the US are playing an English game with 8 men behind the ball.

And in the 71st, Davies tries too hard and ends up injured and not looking too good. He had a chance to slide the ball over for Altidore, but kept it and ends up slamming his knee into the ground as he took a shoulder barge from a defender. Fair challenge as its not worth a penalty.

Davies is out, Holden enters. Looks like Dempsey will be going up top with Altidore. I like that pairing better as Dempsey has a tendency to pop up in great places and it will be easier for him to do that in a central position.

3. agoo

agoo Member

Fun fact from ESPN, Holden has 2 goals and 3 assists in 6 career appearances with the US. I know he's been doing well, but I had no idea he was doing that well. I'm hoping he adds to those numbers.

4. agoo

agoo Member

Davies is on the bench icing the outside of his left calf. Clearly in some discomfort, but Pedro Gomez seems to think he'll be available in Trinidad.

5. agoo

agoo Member

A bit of a pop from the crowd as Kyle Beckerman, Real Salt Lake's captain, steps up to enter in the 80th. Its actually the biggest cheer of the night. Feilhaber comes out. Interesting choice there if you ask me. Feilhaber is better for keeping possession, which is what we need to focus on. I like the gesture partly to the crowd and partly for his play in the Gold Cup, but I question it.

6. J_Ray

J_Ray JBB JustBBall Member

When does Mexico-Costa Rica play?

7. agoo

agoo Member

Jose Francisco Torres is stepping up to join the match and he'll enter for Altidore in the 84th. Altidore runs over to the ref to make a sarcastic/time-wasting handshake.

Not sure where Torres is playing, but early on it looks like Donovan is shifting up.

8. agoo

agoo Member

Starts at ten.

9. J_Ray

J_Ray JBB JustBBall Member

EST?

How did US get a guy from the Mexican league? Usually they're good @ keeping their own players.

10. agoo

agoo Member

In the 86th now and we have our first close up of the guy in the Captain America outfit. I'm not sure why it took 86 minutes to happen.

And in the 87th now and Tim Howard completely bails out the US defense as Castillo chested it down for Reyes, who sent a low, hard shot in on Howard, but the save was made. Onyewu has been missed immensely. Bocanegra has had a usual solid, but unspectacular performance, but Marshall has done the same. I'm used to seeing Onyewu step up big time in those situations and Marshall just can't.

11. agoo

agoo Member

89th mintue now and Holden slams across in perfectly for an on charging Torres. Torres rocked a header in, but it went right on the keeper who made a great save. Dempsey's flying volley on the rebound went just wide to the near side.

Three minutes of stoppage time.

12. agoo

agoo Member

Yes to EST, so its now.

And Torres went to Pachuca has a high schooler from Longview, TX. It seems like it was never really a question for him to go with Mexico. Pachuca tried to make it happen as they promised him a starting role if he rejected Piotr Nowak's invite to the US Olympic team. Torres did, but declared for the US a couple months later.

13. agoo

agoo Member

Some shaky moments for the US at the end of stoppage time. The ball was all over the US box as El Salvador sent it back and forth, but Bocanegra, Holden, and Marshall eventually combined on the clearance.

Tim Howard sends up a goal kick and that ends the match. USA win 2-1 on goals from Dempsey and Altidore. Big three points for the US, but we need a bigger performance against Trinidad from the 11 Americans on the pitch and the three officials.

At the end of the match, Altidore is trying to figure out where the foul was called against him. I think we'll find Jimmy Hoffa and space aliens before we find the foul on that play.

14. agoo

agoo Member

ESPN actually made a good production choice at the end of the match here. Dellacamera and Harkes were just silent for about 30 seconds as the camera focused on a particularly spirited section of American fans before moving into a summary of the qualifying table.

And then they caught some jackass in an England shirt looking at his camera. We Americans need to learn that if you aren't going to wear a jersey of a team or player who is in the match, don't wear a jersey. For my money, the guys in the Beckerman/RSL shirts were ok, but the guy in the England shirt isn't.