USA v. Trinidad and Tobago - 9/9/09 at 6:30 pm

Discussion in 'Americas' started by agoo, Sep 9, 2009.

1. agoo

agoo Member

In the 43rd now and Fabrice Noel sends a strong free kick just over the goal. Howard has had more to do than Ince and that simply isn't going to work for the US over 90 minutes.

2. agoo

agoo Member

Stoppage time now and the US finally goes with speed in the attack. Donovan makes a run and sends it wide for Altidore who brings it back in for Donovan. Donovan made a diagonal run and goes near post on Ince. Ince made a lucky save with his leg.

We're are halftime now and there's some considerable anger at the ref. All things considered, he's called one of the better games I've seen in CONCACAF recently. Of course, this is CONCACAF we're talking about.

The US needs some help in the attack and I want some ice cream. I'll be back, and I'm hoping that Dempsey and Clark will be removed in favor of Holden and Feilhaber when I return.

3. agoo

agoo Member

Got back and while my chocolate peanut butter sundae is terrific, Clint Dempsey getting the ball and running towards Tim Howard is still happening and Ricardo Clark is still sending it out wide for Altidore and Davies. Its time for a change for the US. The longer this goes 0-0, the more likely it is that Trinidad is going to make it 1-0.

4. agoo

agoo Member

Still waiting on some subs for the US. This match is screaming for Benny Feilhaber. We haven't been testing the Trinidad defense as much as we should be and Feilhaber is the guy who can maintain possession and make the cutting passes that Donovan, Davies, and Altidore need against a slow defense.

And as I type that, Holden and Feilhaber are putting their jerseys on.

5. agoo

agoo Member

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL USA!!!!!

Dempsey slides it out for Donovan who finds Clark on an unopposed run. Clark launches a shot from distance that bends wide of Ince.

6. agoo

agoo Member

And here's the first sub. Feilhaber comes on for Altidore. Probably not what was planned, but Clark's goal changes it. I'm worried though that Bob Bradley is going for a 1-0 win and I'm not convinced that Trinidad doesn't have a goal in them.

7. agoo

agoo Member

Trinidad with their first sub in the 66th. Tinto comes out. This is good for the US as Tinto has regularly been a threat on the right for Trinidad.

8. agoo

agoo Member

Replays of Clark's goal. That was a ridiculous bend and Ince had no chance at it. It started going straight at Ince in the middle and then just swerved to Ince's left. Great shot from Clark.

Trinidad is going for this and are making some attacking subs. I'm still waiting for Stuart Holden, but that's not looking too likely.

9. agoo

agoo Member

Ching comes on for Davies in the 77th. Davies made a questionable move with a long shot a few minutes back when he had four guys making runs in the box, but I'm not sure why they went for that move. Of course, they weren't giving Davies the chance to run in behind the defense, but that's neither here nor there.

On a bright note, someone has reminded Dempsey that there's a soccer match going on that he's participating in.

10. agoo

agoo Member

Holden joins the match in the 81st. I missed a bit of time there for some work related issues.

Trinidad is still attacking, but looks sloppy. The US is attacking and retaining possession very well. Looks like they could end the match by dribbling out the clock or by scoring a second.

11. agoo

agoo Member

While I wasn't paying close attention, Trinidad ended up with four forwards on the pitch. Latapy is really going for this draw.

12. agoo

agoo Member

Holden justifies his entrance with a run down the right and a cross that finds Donovan. It was a tough play for Donovan though as he popped it barely over the goal. Still hoping for a 2-0 scoreline.

13. agoo

agoo Member

We're in the 90th now and the steel drum band is starting again. Three minutes of stoppage time.

14. agoo

agoo Member

And its over. Clark's goal is the winner.

15. rocketeer

rocketeer Active Member

very ugly win from the US.

dempsey was garbage. gave the ball away far too often and didn't really create anything dangerous.

donovan's service was pretty weak but he still was obviously the best player on the field. created several dangerous opportunities and out of his two real chances, he should have put at least one away.

the first half was just bad. the US didn't seem to be even trying to keep possession. after a pass or two everything was a long ball or trying to send someone through. they slowed things down more in the 2nd half and did a better job controlling the game.

16. agoo

agoo Member

Benny Feilhaber is such a difference maker for this team, its incredible. There's something about him where he comes onto the pitch and everything gets sorted out in the attack. I think Bob Bradley needs to focus on a Benny and Bradley midfield from here on out. Of course, the healed legs of Jermaine Jones and Maurice Edu could change all of that.

Another thing I'd like to propose is the banishment of Clint Dempsey from the national team. He just doesn't work on the right flank. He was better when Bradley first took the job and played Beasley, Donovan, and Dempsey behind the striker in a 4-2-3-1 as they would end up all over the field. In the 4-4-2, he just isn't good on the right. Holden should be the right midfielder going forward if we're sticking with the 4-4-2.

The biggest question that I see is what does Bradley do when Jones and Edu are ready to play. They're superior to Clark and they are the best defensive midfielders we have available. When they are back, do we stick with a 4-4-2? Bradley pairs with one of them. They are more reliable in defense than Clark and can allow Bradley more freedom to roam forward and get into more of the attacking positions that Feilhaber finds himself in. However, he doesn't have the vision or the passing ability that Benny provides. That passing is going to be key going forward with Atlidore and Davies able to get in behind defenders.

17. rocketeer

rocketeer Active Member

i don't remember bradley ever really consistently playing a 4-2-3-1. i always wanted him to, but instead donovan generally was deployed up top next to ching.

i don't think dempsey should be benched though he has had a few shitty performances in a row that were saved by some late goals by him(though in this game he was just bad and no goal ever game).

at this point the lineup i'm hoping for going into the world cup would be basically the current 4-2-2-2 that has been played with castillo, boca, onyewu, and spector across the backline, bradley and jones in the holding spots, dempsey and donovan above them(but with donovan on the right), and altidore and davies up top. donovan and spector link together well on the right and even though dempsey likes to drift inside castillo would still provide attack down the left wing(and there would be two defensive mids to help cover for him if he gets caught too far up field). feilhaber would be relegated to the top sub role where he basically could come in for any non defender(other than donovan) depending on what the team needed that game. of course that all depends on castillo getting a shot at left back and proving to be a solid enough option there. i'm hopeful of that, but it certainly isn't a sure thing. if castillo isn't the answer, the US looks to be stuck with playing some combo of boca, pearce, and bornstein there which makes that a clear weakness(though i wish spector would be a chance on the left).

18. agoo

agoo Member

Bradley was going with a 4-2-3-1 regularly when he first got the job. Bradley and Feilhaber were in the holding roles, Beasley, Donovan, and Dempsey across the middle and Ching up top.

I didn't mind Dempsey in that role because when he'd drift in centrally, Donovan moved out right to cover that space. In the 4-4-2, that doesn't happen. And now with Spector's ability to get in the attack, they need a guy out there who will stay on the right and cover for Spector when he gets forward.