USA World Cup Roster Projections

Discussion in 'Football Discussion' started by agoo, Feb 20, 2010.

1. agoo

agoo Member

More from Ives. Here's the 28 he'd bring to camp at Princeton:
    Goalkeepers- Tim Howard, Marcus Hahnemann, Brad Guzan
    Defenders- Carlos Bocanegra, Oguchi Onyewu, Steve Cherundolo, Jonathan Spector, Jay DeMerit, Clarence Goodson, Jonathan Bornstein, Heath Pearce, Chad Marshall
    Midfielders- Landon Donovan, Clint Dempsey, Michael Bradley, Stuart Holden, Ricardo Clark, Maurice Edu, Benny Feilhaber, Jose Francisco Torres, Alejandro Bedoya, DaMarcus Beasley
    Forwards- Jozy Altidore, Charlie Davies, Brian Ching, Edson Buddle, Eddie Johnson, Herculez Gomez

That's my 30, drop Adu, Convey, and Rimando, add Chad Marshall. I still think there is a need for a fourth keeper just in case something happens.

Ives also notes that Brian Ching and Edson Buddle are going, as Houston's PR department and Omar Gonzalez (Buddle's teammate) dropped the news a bit early.

2. agoo

agoo Member

Its 2:00 pm EST. I'm ready to post about this. I found ESPN News. And its not on.

What's the deal?

3. agoo

agoo Member

Whoops. Got a bit ahead of myself. A lovely montage of US qualifying highlights and now its roster time.

4. agoo

agoo Member

Starting with a shocker. Tim Howard makes it. He's joined by Guzan and Hahnemann as the only keepers.

In defense, Onyewu, Bocanega, Bornstein, Cherundolo, DeMerit, Goodson, Marshall, Pearce, and Spector.

Midfielders start with Donovan and also include Beasley, Bedoya, Bradley, Clark, Dempsey, Edu, Feilhaber, Holden, Kljestan, someone I didn't catch, and Torres.

Forwards start with Altidore (no surprise again) and he is joined by Buddle, Ching, Findley, Gomez, Johnson.

No Charlie Davies on the roster.

5. agoo

agoo Member

Robbie Rogers was the midfielder I missed.

I am honestly surprised to not see Charlie Davies. I realize it was a long shot, but he's got to be worth a look. Especially over Findley.

Last edited: May 11, 2010
  6. agoo

agoo Member

Interview with Bradley. He said Sochaux hasn't given him full medical clearance and Bradley seems to agree.

As for Onyewu, lots of good news from Milan. He hasn't played yet, but was in the 23 that traveled for the last match and has been strongly in consideration for playing time with them.

Allen Hopkins hops in for a question. This really should have been his interview as the guy doing it hasn't really shown any knowledge to speak of. AH asks about Eddie Johnson, Bradley says he's gotten good news from Aris regarding his progress from a loss/lack of skill and they've had regular scouts out there to see him.

Bummed about Davies, but its probably the best decision for him going forward.

7. agoo

agoo Member

Here's the final 30:

Defenders- Carlos Bocanegra, Oguchi Onyewu, Steve Cherundolo, Jonathan Spector, Jay DeMerit, Clarence Goodson, Jonathan Bornstein, Heath Pearce, Chad Marshall

Midfielders- Landon Donovan, Clint Dempsey, Michael Bradley, Stuart Holden, Ricardo Clark, Maurice Edu, Benny Feilhaber, Jose Francisco Torres, Alejandro Bedoya, DaMarcus Beasley, Sacha Kljestan, Robbie Rogers

Forwards- Jozy Altidore, Conor Casey, Brian Ching, Edson Buddle, Eddie Johnson, Herculez Gomez

ESPN News had Findley, this has Casey. Not sure which is right. Not liking either to be honest.

8. agoo

agoo Member

Its Robbie Findley who made it, not Connor Casey. Regardless, neither would have been making the trip.

As for Davies, Sochaux has not given him a full medical clearance and would not be releasing him to go to the camp at Princeton. In the ESPN News and now a SportsCenter interview, Bradley is very complimentary of him and the efforts he has made to come back. Bradley also adds that Davies is very much a part of the future of the US National Team and everyone is looking forward to his comeback.

The strength of the roster according to Bradley is in the experience that he is bringing. Howard, Dempsey, Donovan, Cherundolo, Onyewu, and Bocanegra were all mentioned as having World Cup and extensive qualifying experience. Its interesting to me that he discusses experience and does not mention DaMarcus Beasley who has been in two World Cups. Looks like he'll be left home for this one.

Two weeks from today, the US will take on Czech Republic in Hartford, four days later it will be Turkey in Philly, followed by Australia in South Africa one week before the start of the World Cup.

9. agoo

agoo Member

Bob Bradley will be announcing his final 23 tomorrow evening on SportsCenter. Here are my predicitons:

Starting XI:
    GK - Howard
    DF - Spector, Onyewu, DeMerit, Bocanegra
    MF - Holden, Bradley, Edu, Donovan
    FC - Altidore, Dempsey

Bench:
    GK - Hahnemann, Guzan
    DF - Goodson, Cherdundolo, Bornstein, Pearce
    MF - Feilhaber, Torres, Clark, Bedoya
    FW - Gomez, Ching

10. agoo

agoo Member

Defenders- Carlos Bocanegra, Oguchi Onyewu, Jay DeMerit, Steve Cherundolo, Jonathan Spector, Clarence Goodson, Jonathan Bornstein

Midfielders- Landon Donovan, Michael Bradley, Stuart Holden, Maurice Edu, Ricardo Clark, DaMarcus Beasley, Benny Feilhaber, Jose Francisco Torres

Forwards- Clint Dempsey, Jozy Altidore, Herculez Gomez, Edson Buddle, Robbie Findley

There's the final 23. I was listening to the introductions in a car I was driving to Philly. Bummed about Bornstein making it, I got my hopes up when Pearce wasn't mentioned, then hearing Bob Ley go from Beasley to Bradley, I wondered where Bedoya was. Then I nearly caused a 10 car pile-up when I heard that Findley made it. He must have blown people's minds (or something else) at camp to make this group as he didn't play yesterday, which would indicate that he had already made it.

11. rocketeer

rocketeer Active Member

findley over ching is the only thing i'm really surprised about. that makes absolutely no sense. ching should be starting up top alongside altidore and findley shouldn't have even been called into the camp.

12. agoo

agoo Member

It looks like Bradley is thinking that Jozy developed enough skill as a target man and in holding up play at Hull that he can handle that role all by his lonesome. Of course, when it was him and Davies or Dempsey at the Confed Cup, no one was really playing that role so perhaps Bradley doesn't want it. Either way, I'd still think Ching would be worth a look as he slows down play while still creating some chances late in the match. Always a good thing if you're winning.

13. Colonel Ronan

Colonel Ronan Continue...?

Control Center analyst
    Forwards
    • Jozy Altidore, Villareal (Spain)
    • Edson Buddle, Los Angeles Galaxy (MLS)
    • Robbie Findley, Real Salt Lake (MLS)
    • Herculez Gomez, Pachuca (Mexico)

Midfielders
    • DaMarcus Beasley, Rangers (Scotland)
    • Michael Bradley, Moenchengladbach (Germany)
    • Ricardo Clark, Frankfurt (Germany)
    • Clint Dempsey, Fulham (England)
    • Landon Donovan, Los Angeles Galaxy (MLS)
    • Maurice Edu, Rangers (Scotland)
    • Benny Feilhaber, Aarhus (Denmark)
    • Stuart Holden, Bolton (England)
    • Jose Torres, Pachuca (Mexico)

Defenders
    • Carlos Bocanegra, Rennes (France) (captain)
    • Jonathan Bornstein, Chivas USA (MLS)
    • Steve Cherundolo, Hannover (Germany)
    • Jay DeMerit, Watford (England)
    • Clarence Goodson, IK Start (Norway)
    • Oguchi Onyewu, AC Milan (Italy)
    • Jonathan Spector, West Ham (England)

Goaltenders
    • Brad Guzan, Aston Villa (England)
    • Marcus Hahnemann, Wolverhampton (England)
    • Tim Howard, Everton (England)

Right?

14. Colonel Ronan

Control Center analyst
    Do you agree with this set-up/formation:

4-2-3-1 Subs: Guzan DeMerit Bornstien Beasley Buddle Gomez

____________________t Howard_____________________
    Cherundolo___Bocanegra_____O Onyewu_____J Spector
    _______________j Torres____M Bradley_____________
    Dempsey_____________L Donovan____________S Holden
    ___________________j Altidore____________________

15. agoo

agoo Member

I doubt Bradley will leave the 4-4-2. I think we'll see this from right to left to start vs. England:

Howard
    Spector - DeMerit - Onyewu - Bocanegra
    Donovan - Edu - Bradley - Beasley
    Altidore - Dempsey

Beasley might be an unlikely choice, but he's got the speed to help out against who ever plays on the right for England these days and Donovan did well against Ashley Cole, before he injured him. If not Beasley, then its Holden on the right and Donovan on the left.

16. Colonel Ronan

Control Center analyst
    Interesting.

17. agoo

agoo Member

Not really. Bradley fell in with the 4-4-2 in the Confed Cup and hasn't gone back since, nor should he with the younger Bradley and Edu's ability to pop up for goals. I know US fans like to call it an empty bucket, but those two get forward enough to make it work.

18. Colonel Ronan

Control Center analyst
    Okay, not interesting.

/facepalm

19. rocketeer

rocketeer Active Member

yeah, the US will be in a 4-4-2. i don't think dempsey is going to start up top from the start though. what's the point in bringing 4 other forwards if dempsey was going to be a forward as well?

i expect the midfield to be donovan, edu, bradley, dempsey with altidore partnering with hopefully buddle or gomez at the start. then at some point in the 2nd half buddle or gomez will go to the bench with dempsey taking their place up top and feilhaber or holden taking over dempsey's spot in the midfield.

i'm also hoping that we use spector at left back but since that hasn't happened yet and there have been plenty of opportunities for it, i'm not going to count on it unless he plays there for the remaining two friendlies.

20. agoo

agoo Member

I don't think we'll see Spector at left back any time soon. He's done the job there for West Ham, but never for the US. He's not really a good attacker from their either. I know defense is more his calling card at right back, but he can get up and help the attack from there, unlike the left.