Van Exel and Dampier could be heading to Portland in exchange for Sheed

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by Accord, Jan 30, 2004.

1. thePHentity

thePHentity JBB JustBBall Member

so you're going to take a legitimate starter in this league with troy murphy and bench him behind both adonal foyle and rasheed wallace. this is what i don't like about the trade. i think murphy is a big boy and would understand, but come on, the kid averaged a double double last year. this year it makes sense because he's injured, but in the years coming up...it seems ridiculous, plus foyle is injured too and just getting back.

2. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    I don't think Wallace will hang around on the WC once this season's over. Next season Murphy might really break out and be as hyped as Dampier. [​IMG]

3. Stockton

Stockton JBB

I don't get this trade for the Warriors, their giving up Erick Dampier who is getting lots of double double and is playing extremely well for the Warriors this season and Nick Van Exel, who can start at PG for Rasheed Wallace, who is a PF and they've already got Troy Murphy at PF, who they should look to give lots of minutes to help him develop even more. Rasheed is bound to bring trouble with him and a big contract. If this trade happends, Golden State will be taking a big step backwards. The only logical part of this trade would be if they were trying to get cap space by waiting until Wallace's contract runs out and not resigning him, but the Warriors could do a better deal than this.

4. Rudeezy

Rudeezy JBB Senior *********

No way the Warriors would bench Murphy, when he is healthy. Dunleavy would most likely be the one to sit and understandably so. He is still developing and is on his way to becoming a very good NBA player. With all the injuries the warriors have experienced it is too hard to say who will be starting and who will be taking whose spot. All of those details could possibly be worked out in the off season.

5. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    Heck, Rasheed, if he comes, could play center as he is right now. Murphy would get the start at power forward and Dunleavy will be starting at small forward. Cliff Robinson is aging and if the Warriors need him in the clutch they should make him their sixth man. Cliff is versatile enough to back up all three frontcourt spots anyways.

6. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

So we get cap space and a 7'1" center who can't opt out who is good at offensive rebound and has a nice touch around the rim. Sheed is just the cap space. I think he's coming off the bench unless Sheed expresses desire to play now that he would be out of Portland.

7. Purple N Gold

Purple N Gold JBB JustBBall Member

Warriors basketball is frustrating sometimes, man. If you don't do anything this year, the Rasheed Wallace trade does nothing for the team, besides some decent cap relief. I want to see them start to trade for young players who can be their long term, I think that's the best way to go at this point. I doubt Wallace is signing, their still could be a slight chance than Dampier would stay, but that could also be unlikely if he wants to play with more of a contender. On the other hand, I totally forgot about Murhpy. I would probably put Dunleavy to the bench like Rudeezy said and pencil Sheed at SF, with of course Murphy at PF. Then again, wouldn't that cut down time for Cliff and Brian Cardinal? Cliff will do his work at the PF spot, but how will time be shared with Dunleavy/Cardinal, and we all know Sheed is going to get 30+ minutes a game. I would like to see how this plays out though, change is good for a struggling team.

8. kobeonfire

kobeonfire JBB JustBBall Member

I like this trade a lot, even if Sheed doesn't stay after this season. Van Exel and Dampier would probably opt out after this year; and I don't think anyone would really care if Van Exel walked. But it would be better to get Sheed for this year and try to make hte playoffs now. If we didn't, we'd still have a lot of cap room (around $20 million, last I heard), and we could make a big run at a top free agent. And we'd also get Stepania, so we'd still have a decent combo at the center. I think everyone feels that Claxton's a better PG for this time, so the trade looks good from all angles for the Warriors- whether they resign Sheed after this season or not.

9. Custodianrules2

How do we dump Eschmeyer? That guy does nothing but suck up money.

10. Custodianrules2

So I guess if the trade goes down after allstar break, which I think it will (because its just plain stupid), Rudeezy will have an avatar and a signature banner to change. Bummer [​IMG]

11. Rudeezy

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting custodianrules2:</div><div class="quote_post">So I guess if the trade goes down after allstar break, which I think it will (because its just plain stupid), Rudeezy will have an avatar and a signature banner to change. Bummer [​IMG]</div>Yup...I'm in the process of that change anyways.[​IMG]

12. thePHentity

disgusting. imagine if sheed took us to the playoffs.

13. 3-pt.-gunner

3-pt.-gunner JBB JustBBall Member

i can't believe the warriors. they're so talented, yet so injury-plagued. i really feel bad for you guys. you have so many big men, but they're basically all injured. i love van exel, dampier and sheed, but this trade doesn't make sense to me for either team. the blazers already have staudamire at the point and randolph in the middle but if sheed's about to leave after this season anyway it's a good trade. on the g.s. side, getting sheed would be a huge lift that just might enable you to make the playoffs but you'd be losing a good veteran pg and a center with huge potential, the same center that my pacers gave up to you a few years back, but the fact is, you're team is stacked with lots of good players, but no great ones so sheed makes some sense.

14. nikebasketball

nikebasketball JBB JustBBall Member

I really hope that this trade NEVER happens.

The Blazers need to try to keep Rasheed and re-sign after the season.

15. Custodianrules2

I can't stand Van Excel or Sheed because they are two of the biggest, overpaid big mouth hypocrites on earth. Sure they have their clutch moments, but a professional doesn't mouth off and let their ego and tantrums fly. And if they do they could at least put up Shaq numbers.

16. thePHentity

i have no problem with van exel. van exel has been a great sport.

17. Rudeezy

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting thePHentity:</div><div class="quote_post">i have no problem with van exel. van exel has been a great sport.</div>Yea, besides his complaints of the coaching to the media, he has actually handled himself very well. I am very anxious to see a HEALTHY NVE play.

18. TheFuller

TheFuller JBB JustBBall Member

if we can get the trio healthy and together again, (j rich, murphy, and dunleavy), then everything should be fine!!!!!!! :-D

19. kobeonfire

kobeonfire JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting TheFuller:</div><div class="quote_post">if we can get the trio healthy and together again, (j rich, murphy, and dunleavy), then everything should be fine!!!!!!! :-D</div>

I think the Warriors should focus on building and developing a nucleus of Murphy, Dunleavy, J-Rich, and Speedy. Imagine this lineup in a couple of years if it stays together- isn't it kinda scary? Especially with a center like Adonal to help out on the defensive end and with rebounding. Murphy can score and rebound, Dunleavy does it all and provides the intangibles, J-Rich will be our leading scorer, and Speedy will be our assist man (get ready to run and gun!). Getting cap room this summer and making this trade won't affect this nucleus, instead, it will help us build around it during the summer.

20. Custodianrules2

I've got a feeling that we are screwed next year if we are only stuck with Eschmeyer as a center. Has anyone ever seen this guy play? There was only one year where he played like 18 minutes per game for the whole season and he only started 52 out of the 82 games per season I think because of injury or he just sucked.