Van Exel upset again

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by Rudeezy, Jan 8, 2004.

1. Rudeezy

Rudeezy JBB Senior *********

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">GUARD CRITICIZES COACH AFTER LOSS TO MAVERICKS

A warm reception in his return to Dallas did little to comfort Nick Van Exel.

His former team, the Dallas Mavericks, defeated his current team, the Warriors, 105-99 Wednesday. Afterward, Van Exel was critical of Coach Eric Musselman.

``Sometimes you would like to hear it from your coach,'' Van Exel responded, when it was mentioned that many of his teammates have said he needs to lead the team. ``Sometimes you'd like to have your coach tell you, `Nick, we need you to carry us tonight.' Instead of me going out there and not really knowing if the coach has my back, not knowing if he's going to be'' angry ``if I take this shot.

``Nobody knows who is going to carry this team night in and night out. We don't know.''

By the time Van Exel finished talking to the media, Musselman had left American Airlines Arena and was unavailable for comment.</div>

[​IMG]

Full Story

2. Purple N Gold

Purple N Gold JBB JustBBall Member

Van Exel is probably going to be on his way out soon. You can just feel a trade happening in the next week or two. It was a nice time him being here, I was really excited, but it seems like it might come to a end.

3. Rudeezy

Yea, I'm starting to get the same feeling. Its almost like he is asking to be traded now.

4. starman85

starman85 JBB JustBBall Member

Yeah, I suppose so. I'm just not sure what team he could end up on. I've heard talk about the Blazers, and I'm sure they wouldn't mind dishing some guys to fit Nick in at the point. Plus they're a playoff team. Boston might not be a bad fit either, but I'm not sure if Nick fits Danny Ainge's style of play.

5. Rave

Rave JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting starman85:</div><div class="quote_post">Yeah, I suppose so. I'm just not sure what team he could end up on. I've heard talk about the Blazers, and I'm sure they wouldn't mind dishing some guys to fit Nick in at the point. Plus they're a playoff team. Boston might not be a bad fit either, but I'm not sure if Nick fits Danny Ainge's style of play.</div>

Oh man, that's terrible, that'd mean getting the chance of receiving the likes of Rasheed Wallace. You'd get a rebounder, but a very bad man nevertheless. Maybe you could hope for the likes of Zach Randolph if trades go down with the Blazers. I just hope the Knicks get him, Thomas is making a big mistake. If that occurs, at least it won't be able to disrupt the Warriors. Or their game for that matter.

6. bbwAce

bbwAce BBW Member

I hate to bust your bubble Starman but I dont see Portland makin the playoffs.

San Antonio, Dallas, LA Lakers, sacramento, Minnesota, Houston, Denver, and possibly either Seattle/Utah for the 8th spot. I just think Portland's got it goin bad right now.

7. Rudeezy

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Magic Johnson:</div><div class="quote_post">Oh man, that's terrible, that'd mean getting the chance of receiving the likes of Rasheed Wallace. You'd get a rebounder, but a very bad man nevertheless. Maybe you could hope for the likes of Zach Randolph if trades go down with the Blazers. I just hope the Knicks get him, Thomas is making a big mistake. If that occurs, at least it won't be able to disrupt the Warriors. Or their game for that matter.</div>I would take Wallace in a heart beat and no way the Blazers give up Randolph.

8. Purple N Gold

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Rudeezy:</div><div class="quote_post">I would take Wallace in a heart beat and no way the Blazers give up Randolph.</div>

Yeah, you have nothing to lose right now if your the Warriors. Forget Sheed's off-court problems, Warriors need to get back to winning games. It's just sad to see Van Exel go, a guy who led the Warriors to beating the 2 best teams in the league back to back, and everything goes wrong, and now he might be traded. Wish he could stay, but business is business.

9. Rudeezy

Yea. IMO the Warriors are lacking a superstar. You can make a case for Richardson and Van Exel but lets face the reality: Van Exel is old and only hits shots in the 4th quarter and Richardson still has a lot to work on before he is a real superstar in this league, which I think he will be.

We need that one guy who can take the ball in the crucial minutes and really pound the defense. With Wallace we would have that.

10. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Rudeezy:</div><div class="quote_post">Yea. IMO the Warriors are lacking a superstar. You can make a case for Richardson and Van Exel but lets face the reality: Van Exel is old and only hits shots in the 4th quarter and Richardson still has a lot to work on before he is a real superstar in this league, which I think he will be.

We need that one guy who can take the ball in the crucial minutes and really pound the defense. With Wallace we would have that.</div>

The chemistry would be so weird with Sheed. I'd say a better fit would be Shawn Marion if the suns would ever give him up. He's struggling right now and not the greatest of shooters, but he can play defense, he's fast, he can jump high, rebound, and he can drive the ball which puts pressure on people trying to guard him. Penentration + mid-range game is what gets people open in the 2-3 zone. I'm thinking this is what Musselman would want. a Fast team that can get to the hoop and the foul line or get people wide wide open for a three. Now if we can get another point guard that has jets and can go perimeter that'd be sweet. Maybe Claxton will find that confidence soon like he did in pre-season when he was draining them from the wing. Of course passing and playmaking skills are more important, but he's got to have something to keep the defense honest on the perimeter when they play off him.

11. Purple N Gold

The word has really gotten out about him being traded, Kenny Smith even said himself straight up last night 'Van Exel is going to be traded' on Inside the NBA. Expect something soon, I just hope whatever they get is worth Van Exel, hopefully another PG.

EDIT: Just heard on the news Van Exel is going to be 5 games, interesting to see how the offense flows without him in the lineup.