Trade Varejo to Portland!

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by TBpup, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

Kaman could certainly be a productive backup in the right situation. He was effective starting for us last year. Problem is he makes $5million and we are building with youth. If he was making the minimum teams would've had interest. The league is also just full of unused centers with small ball taking over.

Back in the day Kaman could really score the ball. Not a bad defender. Always been a poor passer though. He was injured often and had a bad attitude. Flipped that attitude around here. At his peak he was far more effective than Varejao ever was.

On average players decline a lot past the age of 30; don't think fans take that into account enough. Often look at what a player has done instead of what they're likely to do going forward. A hall of famer may still be very productive after 30, and some players decline less than others. But take an average starter, have them lose quickness it makes them a borderline rotational player.

42N8Bounce, Darkwebs and Jade Falcon like this.
  2. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

Kaman was an amazing player when he was with the Clippers. Fantastic footwork, and just kinda unstoppable around the basket. If you don't remember Kaman, then perhaps you don't remember young Z-Bo either? If you do, I think there were a lot of similarities between the two, but Kaman dunked more.

Jade Falcon likes this.
  3. 42N8Bounce

42N8Bounce Red Hot And Rebuilding

Great point. I posted this in an earlier thread, but below is a graph showing age and PER (includes players playing more than 96 minutes per season.). -

PerAge.jpg

The peak years for a player are for ages 24 thru 29. It's a pretty steep decline after that. There's a slight bump in the data after age 35 only because the only players still playing at that age are usually hall of famers or aging all-stars.

BBert, Darkwebs and Nikolokolus like this.
  4. EL PRESIDENTE

EL PRESIDENTE Username Retired in Honor of Lanny.

http://espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?id=4898518

Jade Falcon and riverman like this.
  5. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Before his mid season injury last year, early on he was getting nods for the 6man of the year...Kaman is a crafty player and he's only 33..folks act like he's 43 sometimes. He's only two years older than Lebron ..I hope he joins the coaching staff after this season

Jade Falcon and rotary111 like this.
  6. The Professional Fan

The Professional Fan Big League Scrub

I understand that. But how much they get paid has nothing to do with their age and how they could respond to a chemistry shake up. If we were a team of established vets I wouldn't think twice about this. But I feel this is a unique situation and it is short sighted to think there's no way it could effect the team

7. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    Once is never enough. You know you'll want it again and again. :)

Jade Falcon likes this.