Vets and bad contracts to trade for

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by boredinsalem, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Get john Henson over here already.

Pridan and PtldPlatypus like this.
  2. GDiama

GDiama Well-Known Member

Cmon that guy is terrible. He is very soft and inconsistent. And that contract is not nice either. Better keep Davis.

3. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

7/5/1.3 bpg in 20 mpg....Never had a PER under 15. I wish we had a backup center thst soft

BBert, Pridan, 0-Our! and 2 others like this.
  4. GDiama

GDiama Well-Known Member

Have you seen Kanter's PER? PER is not everything. Yes he has some great tools. but he is not a good player.

Why Kidd is not using him then if he is that great? Have you seen him play? The guy is really terrible tactic wise, he cannot concentrate for two plays in a row.

5. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

Ok

6. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Henson for Leonard makes all sorts of sense. Both guys need new homes. Henson would thrive in our conservative defensive scheme where he could just sit back and chill.

0-Our! likes this.
  7. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    While PER is not the best metric, guys with super high PERs tend to be the superstars in the league.

OKC plays him and did surprisingly well this season after losing Durant. OKC also saw him play every day in practice and in games and was willing to match the huge offer we made for him.

Not that I favor trading for him, I don't think OKC will trade him unless we overpay. But I am not convinced he's as awful as some make him out to be. I do think that in Nurk's absence, he would have been a lot better than what we put out there.

dviss1 likes this.
  8. GDiama

GDiama Well-Known Member

The league is moving to small ball and he is unplayable in those situations. He cannot play against the Warriors or the Rockets for example and these are teams we want to win. There was one play against the Rockets where Donovan said "We cannot play Kanter". He played him 9 mins per game. A player that costs 18M! You cannot have that.

I don't say he doesn't belong to this league, he is not Leonard. But still he is a special type of player-not good for all circumstances and costs a lot.

9. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Haha trade their draft pick back them for Chandler

10. KeepOnRollin

KeepOnRollin Well-Known Member

I would rather have the pick personally. And it was Mem's pick. They still have theirs.

11. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Right

12. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

13. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

14. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

By what measure? I checked the "trailers" section of basketball-reference and he doesn't make any appearances in the list of 250 worst DRtgs. He did make one appearance, when he was a 21-year old in UTA, as the 161st worst Box Plus/Minus, but if you check that list, there are some pretty good players who had worse seasons, than that one season by Kanter.

On the positive side, he's one of the best offensive rebounders in NBA history. His career ORB% of 14.1 is higher than any other active player. Over the last 2.5 seasons in OKC he has posted PER = 24.9, 24.0 and 23.7, TS% of .611, .626 and .599, ORB% of 14.9, 16.7 and 14.1.

He's not perfect (obviously), but he'd be a good fit next to Nurk and would give us some much needed size up front and improve our rebounding. He also makes less than Allen Crabbe and has fewer years on his contract. He is locked up for 2017-18 and has a player option for 2018-19. I'd trade either Crabbe or Turner for him in a hearbeat. I'd also trade Meyers plus Aminu or Davis for him.

Age wise, even though he's been in the league a while, he's younger than Crabbe and Meyers. He turns 25 later this month. So, he'd fit in with our core.

Worst case, he's not a great fit and opts out next summer, just in time to clear his salary off the books for Nurk's big extension.

BNM

BonesJones likes this.
  15. GDiama

GDiama Well-Known Member

Although I'm not a fan, I'd definitely trade Crabbe for Kanter. But not to play him as a PF, but C. He should be a good scoring option for the 2nd unit. 18-20 mins per game he can be valuable. You'll still have the problem that he cannot play against teams like the Warriors or the Rockets, but we cannot beat the Warriors anyway and most importantly we would get rid of Crabbe :P OKC is desperate for shooting so this trade really has a chance to go through.

BonesJones and Boob-No-More like this.
  16. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

Agreed, he's a better player that addresses a need, makes less and has a shorter contract. Plus, he's actually slightly younger than Crabbe. It's not like we'd be giving up a promising young player for a declining vet. It would be worth it for the shorter contract alone.

BNM

Minstrel, chzbrgr and GDiama like this.
  17. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    Better late than never? Chandler is who I wanted to get when we ended up with Afflalo.

BonesJones likes this.