Vets?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by roroyo, Jan 15, 2017.

1. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    Well you don't have to worry about that for this road trip.

2. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

Dude, I love your die hard fandom and unwavering support of the team, but I'm afraid I have to stop you right there. Time for a reality check.

Tyson Chandler is now in his 16th season in the NBA. He was drafted as an 18-year old straight out of high school and is now 34. In all of that time he has never once averaged 2 blocks per game. His career high was 1.8 BLK/G and that was 10 years ago.

To put that in proper perspective, the last time Tyson Chandler averaged 1.8 blocks per game, Ime Udka was our starting small forward, George W. Bush still had two years left in office and we had not yet drafted Greg Oden.

And that was 24-year old Tyson Chandler. 34-year old Tyson Chandler is not the same guy. He is currently averaging 0.4 BLK/G in 27.9 MPG. I mentioned in another thread last week that we already have 8 guys on our roster averaging at least 0.4 BLK/G.

At the time, I half jokingly mentioned that if we wanted a rim protector in the middle, we'd be better off moving C.J. McCollum to starting center instead of chasing Tyson Chandler. The reason I said it half jokingly is it's actually true. Tyson Chandler has blocked a total of 14 shots all season. C.J. has blocked 31. At this time C.J. McCollum is twice the shot blocker Tyson Chandler is.

To further sharpen that point, maybe we can see if we can pry Raymond Felton away from the Clippers, because that 6'1" stubby-armed lard ass has more blocked shots in fewer minutes played this season than the 7'1" Tyson Chandler. Raymond Felton - Rim Protector. You heard it hear first.

Think about that for a minute or two and see if you still want to take on Chandler with two and a half more seasons left on his contract.

BNM

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
  3. Boob-No-More

Chandler is still an elite rebounder. So, that would help. He has a shit ton of experience, but I'm not sure how much of a leader/mentor he is. I remember him still being a hot head in his late 20s and early 30s. Maybe he's grown up since then, but if so, why wouldn't PHO keep him to mentor their roster full of teenagers?

BNM

TBpup likes this.
  4. roroyo

roroyo Active Member

Yeah, fuk it. Let's just use this video and let Tyson stay in Arizona. That's should be enough.
    Love the idea of bringin Felton back.

dviss1 likes this.
  5. Boob-No-More

And over $30 million cheaper.

Umm... yeah. Any chance you're a part owner of Voodoo donuts?

BNM

6. roroyo

roroyo Active Member

And we can argue about Tyson, but point is Blazers need SOME VETS. We don't have ANY. We got kids trying to sort out something that is obv to difficult for them.

No team wins shhh without vet's experience in playoffs. Red wouldn't be happy about NO team.

7. Boob-No-More

Fine, so add vets on min contracts, not over paid, over the hill has beens like Chandler who are under contract for the next two and a half seasons at $13+ million a year.

That's what the vet minimum is for.

BTW, you can win in the playoffs without vets. That 1977 championship team was the youngest team in the league that year. The oldest starter on that team was Dave Twardzik, the 26-year old PG. The same age as our current starting PG.

That team's starters:
    Walton - 24
    Lucas - 24
    Gross - 23
    Hollins - 23
    Twardzik - 26

This team's starters:

Plumlee - 26
    Aminu - 26
    Harkless - 23
    McCollum - 25
    Lillard - 26

That team had two players over the age of 26. So does this team.

I know it's been 40 years, but since you mentioned Red Auerbach, who hasn't coached in 51 years, I figured it was fair game.

I do agree we need one or two vets on the bench and in the locker room, but to me it's more about experience than age. Someone who has been to the finals, or better won a ring, gets more cred than some old guy who hasn't won anything. Obviously, Chandler has won a ring in DAL, but I'm opposed to giving up anything of significant value, or taking on a long term contract, to get a guy who is more of a calming influence and off court leader than an on court contributor.

BNM

dviss1, TBpup and handiman like this.
  8. Cliff1976

Cliff1976 New Member

owner
    finally some Blazers fan from Poland :)

SlyPokerDog, Dougnsalem and riverman like this.
  9. roroyo

roroyo Active Member

I belive there is another one from Krakow. Siemasz wujku Cliffie;)

Ahm... Good post. I guess I'll learn something bout Blazers on this forum;)

And with all this gold flying now I would be ok wit 13mill for Chandler. I mean Paul would be ok.

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  10. Boob-No-More

You quoted me, but I actually didn't say what you quoted. Those were your words, not mine.

The problem with paying Chandler $13+ million a year for the next two and a half years is that's $13+ million you won't have to spend on someone who contributes more on the court. Chandler has already seen a very significant drop in his production, and that's only going to get worse as he ages.

If we were in win now mode, and felt Chandler was the missing piece, or even a missing piece, the money would be irrelevant. But, we're not, he's not and, therefore, it's not.

BNM

dviss1 likes this.
  11. tester551

tester551 Well-Known Member

This is only an issue depending upon what we send out.

Chandler @ $13M is still better than Meyers @ $10M. If you can swap Meyers for Chandler, you still come out ahead.

12. Sarni

Sarni Well-Known Member

Here too!

SlyPokerDog and roroyo like this.
  13. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

I thought Chandler was getting closer to $23 mill his final season. Maybe it was a combined or something. At $13 mill a year he could absolutely be a benefit to this team considering we have my man @ $10 mill a year sitting on the end of the bench. He cant be worse than Meyers and I would gladly pay that $3 mill for that veteran championship experience. Especially since he and Stott's had that experience together.
    Harkless and a pick is a bit tougher to swallow because we are then still stuck with Leonard, but Its a possible benefit to us especially if it is Cleveland's pick and not ours.
    If we got them to sign off on Leonard/Ezeli/Cle 1st for Chandler, that's a win for us in my book.

Chris Craig likes this.
  14. Boob-No-More

Why would PHO want Meyers Leonard?????

They already have THREE other 7-footers that are younger, better and cheaper than Meyers.

A trade has to make sense for both teams for it to actually happen. Fantasy trades where we dump our crap players with bad contracts on somebody else are just that - a fantasy.

BNM

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
    Orion Bailey likes this.
  15. Boob-No-More

Tyson Chandler is not enough of a needle mover at this point in his career to be worth giving up a 1st round pick - not even if he's making the vet min. At $13+ million with 2.5 years left, no way do I give up a first round pick for a 34-year old who doesn't even address our biggest weakness.

There will be better options for that pick, either now, at the deadline or on draft day. Giving up a 1st round pick for a stop gap player like Chandler, who doesn't even fill that gap, is a short-sighted panic move.

If Tyson Chandler is the answer, you're asking the wrong question. PHO signed him hoping to convince LaMarcus Aldridge to sign there. Well he didn't and he doesn't play here anymore either. Tyson Chandler makes no sense for this team at this time - less so moving forward.

BNM

Nikolokolus likes this.
  16. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    I think NO values veteran leadership very highly. However, I (and he) want veteran leadership in the form of players who are respected/hard workers/very good/at least rotation players:
    Al Horford
    Paul Milsap
    Mark Gasol

Not in the form of a very old (unless they're very cheap/come with a 1st rounder)
    Tyson Chandler
    Vince Carter

Not in the form of the jackass
    Rajon Rondo
    Monta Ellis
    Chris Andersen

Boob-No-More likes this.
  17. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Wait. First, I never said he was the answer. I am saying we will get more out of him than we will Leonard. Giving them the Cle is for taking Leonard off our hands. I never said its a needle mover, or pushes us into contention. Im just saying I think it is a good trade because it is a better use of the money for Chandler than to be spent on Meyers. How else are we going to get rid of Leonard?

You do this type of trade and then you package the other pick with Crabbe for Noel and that is a decent lineup for the next two years. When Chandler is gone we have his money.

Chris Craig likes this.
  18. Boob-No-More

You start by moving him to a team that actually wants and needs a young big man. Meyers to PHO makes ZERO sense. You don't try to force him onto a team that already has three other younger, better, cheaper bigs. Even if you just move him to a team for a top 55 protected 2nd round pick, that's WAY better than PAYING someone, who doesn't want, or need him, a 1st round pick to take him off our hands.

That might mean we wait until the summer to move him, but with salaries going up again and lots of $100+ million contracts being handed out, someone will see a 24-year old 7-footer at $30 million spread out over 3 years as a relative bargain. At least he'll be relatively cheap enough we shouldn't have to give away a 1st round pick just to get someone to take him.

BNM

Orion Bailey and Wizard Mentor like this.
  19. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

I agree this team desperately needs more vets. We're too much into staying young and developing talent.

Chris Craig likes this.
  20. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

Meanwhile we're to afraid of veterans leaving when there contact is up.