Vince Demands Trade

Discussion in 'Toronto Raptors' started by jenike, Sep 16, 2004.

1. og15

og15 JBB *********

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting spawn:</div><div class="quote_post">Where Vince wants to go doesn't concern Babcock. If he trades him, I hope it's to a West team where he'll have to work for an all-star nomination and have to work harder to score everyday.

I meant I wouldn't trade VC for Pierce straight up If I were Boston. If I were the Raptors, I'd take that trade in a flash. Paul is tired of losing and Toronto has a young and promising team which Vince wants to ditch all of a sudden, when its on the right path and on it's way up. After VC gets traded, I really hope the Raptors face (if he goes to the East) his new team in the playoffs and beat him with the same roster he decided to ditch. Now that'd be sweet.</div>
    That post wasn't at you, it was at raps4life, I was basically saying if the only deal he would do is Pierce for Vince, then he's basically saying he wouldn't trade Vince :P

2. Karma

Karma The Will Must Be Stronger Than The Skill

Haha, I just noticed that the 2 main players you offered for the Raps to trade VC for are on your signature as well.

I'd love the Pheonix trade personally but let's see what Babcock comes up with.

3. hagrid

hagrid JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Vince Carter for Paul Pierce thats about all i would do if i was the raps</div>

I can't see any reality in that happening. Even with Pierce's shortcomings, I'd take him over VC anytime. If I were the Raps, I'd want Boston to make that trade too. [​IMG]

VC's proven he can't stay healthy and addressing nothing more than that, it's reason enough for Boston not to be interested.

<u>OG15:</u>

The only real problem I see with the trade you proposed is that I don't see that Phoenix gets back enough. Marshall is a nice guy to have, but losing Joe Johnson for him seems like a bad idea.

Since I know what Boston missed out on (thanks OB, you twit), JJ is starting to blossom into an above average guard. He's lost that "I never saw a shot I liked" Calbert Chaney mentality that he seemed to have his rookie year.

I think PHX making this trade would be doing the same thing that Boston seemed to do when trading JJ: Giving up on the future for what they think might be a short term fix.

IMO, that short term fix will end with the same results: no title and a bunch of pissed off fans who knew it was a mistake in the first place.

If you could find a way to restructure it so it didn't include JJ, I think it would be better for all teams.

4. bentalldayeveryday

bentalldayeveryday JBB JustBBall Member

The best realistic trade would be for Corey Maggette and Chris Wilcox for Vince.

5. grinder333

grinder333 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Gangsta_nerd:</div><div class="quote_post">Toronto trades: SF Vince Carter (22.5 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 4.8 apg in 38.1 minutes)
    PF Donyell Marshall (14.7 ppg, 9.8 rpg, 1.5 apg in 36.5 minutes)
    PG Roger Mason (3.7 ppg, 1.2 rpg, 1.0 apg in 12.7 minutes)
    Toronto receives: SG Eddie Jones (17.3 ppg, 3.8 rpg, 3.2 apg in 37.0 minutes)
    PG Dwyane Wade (16.3 ppg, 4.0 rpg, 4.5 apg in 34.9 minutes)
    SG Wesley Person (5.8 ppg, 2.0 rpg, 1.1 apg in 17.9 minutes)
    Change in team outlook: -1.5 ppg, -6.0 rpg, and +1.5 apg.

Miami trades: SG Eddie Jones (17.3 ppg, 3.8 rpg, 3.2 apg in 37.0 minutes)
    PG Dwyane Wade (16.3 ppg, 4.0 rpg, 4.5 apg in 34.9 minutes)
    SG Wesley Person (5.8 ppg, 2.0 rpg, 1.1 apg in 17.9 minutes)
    Miami receives: SF Vince Carter (22.5 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 4.8 apg in 73 games)
    PF Donyell Marshall (14.7 ppg, 9.8 rpg, 1.5 apg in 82 games)
    PG Roger Mason (3.7 ppg, 1.2 rpg, 1.0 apg in 26 games)
    Change in team outlook: +1.5 ppg, +6.0 rpg, and -1.5 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

Due to Toronto and Miami being over the cap, the 15% trade rule is invoked. Toronto and Miami had to be no more than 115% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Its an intresting trade but miami prolly wouldn't bite.</div>

NO WAY. Love to see it happen but Wade is UNTRADEABLE. He's a special player for sure. He's young, strong, and has the ability to take over games already in his young career. Plus they don't have to pay him alot cause he's still on his rookie contract.

6. grinder333

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting R_ChutneY:</div><div class="quote_post">who says we have to satisfy is desire to be on a good team? We could still trade him but he has no choice about what team he goes to. I still we should send him to a crappier team for a good player and draft picks (ATL, LAC, CHI, SEA, GS). I personally want to see him play in the Western Conference, because if he wasn't voted in by the fans, he wouldn't even make the All-Star team.</div>

Vince usually leads the league in votes for the all-star game. The fans love him. He's the kind of guy that could be hurt all year and still get voted in. I don't think he has to worry about what he'll be doing all-star weekend.

7. og15

og15 JBB *********

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting hagrid:</div><div class="quote_post">I can't see any reality in that happening. Even with Pierce's shortcomings, I'd take him over VC anytime. If I were the Raps, I'd want Boston to make that trade too. [​IMG]

VC's proven he can't stay healthy and addressing nothing more than that, it's reason enough for Boston not to be interested.

<u>OG15:</u>

The only real problem I see with the trade you proposed is that I don't see that Phoenix gets back enough. Marshall is a nice guy to have, but losing Joe Johnson for him seems like a bad idea.

Since I know what Boston missed out on (thanks OB, you twit), JJ is starting to blossom into an above average guard. He's lost that "I never saw a shot I liked" Calbert Chaney mentality that he seemed to have his rookie year.

I think PHX making this trade would be doing the same thing that Boston seemed to do when trading JJ: Giving up on the future for what they think might be a short term fix.

IMO, that short term fix will end with the same results: no title and a bunch of pissed off fans who knew it was a mistake in the first place.

If you could find a way to restructure it so it didn't include JJ, I think it would be better for all teams.</div>
    Well I was thinking of that too, but they go Quentin Richardson. Joe Johnson has never been a good player off the bench, and he himself felt it would be an adjustment for him to have to play some SF this year.

JJ is not going to go back to Phoenix as an FA with Q-Rich there, even if Marion was gone he'd be reluctant because he'd be playing SF, but maybe if Phoenix got Nene instead it would work?

8. grinder333

Very interesting trade ideas all over the place. I've got another:

<u>Vince Carter for Shawn Marion and Joe Johnson</u>

Phoenix's starting line up is up in the air because they have a whack of good shooting guards and small forwards. With this trade they could start Nash, Richardson, Carter, Stoudamire, and Voskul. This would leave Barbosa, Jacobson and Eisley to be their other guards which leaves a pretty good rotation if you ask me.

Toronto could then start Alston, Rose, Marion, Bosh and whomever they decide to be their centre. Then they would have Alvin Williams and Joe Johnson as their back up guards.

Salary wise it's pretty close. Carter is going to make $ 12,584,688 this season. Marion is going to make $ 11,326,219, and Johnson is going to make $ 2,358,954.

One things that bothers me is that Johnson is a free agent after this season and he could walk. One good thing is that with Nash being such a small guard, Phoenix might like to add another tall perimeter player (Carter) to the mix for defensive purposes.

9. MaxaMillion711

MaxaMillion711 ...?

Mixer
    Stop the Presses! Vince involved in 3 way trade???

"Monday, September 20, 2004

Blazers after Vince Carter?
    ESPN's Chad Ford lists five teams that could make a run at Vince Carter, and the Blazers are on his list: (subscription req'd)
    Blazers GM John Nash would love having a player like Carter in the fold. The team has been looking for a dominant two guard all summer and Carter would be an excellent fit.
    However, Ford says Abdur-Rahim doesn't fit so well in Toronto:
    With Bosh already showing great promise at the position, the only reason the Raptors would make this move is for financial reasons. The move would save the Raptors a load of cash next summer if Abdur-Rahim left via free agency, but it still wouldn't be enough to get them far enough under the ap to make any real noise.
    Because of this, Ford suggests a three-team swap might be in order:
    A three way trade with the Blazers, Wolves and Raptors that sent Abdur-Rahim to Minnesota (they almost sealed a deal for him several weeks ago), Carter to Portland and Szczerbiak and Olowokandi to Toronto might make some sense."

- The Oregonian

As a big Blazer fan but an even bigger Carter fan, I am in paradise. Any thoughts? Anyone? [​IMG]

10. og15

og15 JBB *********

Phoenix wouldn't trade Marion and JJ for Tmac, why would they trade them for Carter?

Marshall would have to go in that deal, bu then it wouldn't work under that cap, that's why I had Eisley and Lammond in there too.

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting "spawn":</div><div class="quote_post">Haha, I just noticed that the 2 main players you offered for the Raps to trade VC for are on your signature as well.

I'd love the Pheonix trade personally but let's see what Babcock comes up with</div>
    I know, but it wasn't deliberate, it actually just happened that way, but I think those 2 teams are our best trading partners.

11. Moo2K4

Moo2K4 NBA West Producer

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Bobcats:</div><div class="quote_post">I say trade him and Mo Pete to the Clips for Corey Maggette, next years first round pick (which will probably be low) and Chris Wilcox. Thats the best one I can think of right now.</div>

Ha, I don't see the Clippers trading away that much young talent for Carter and Mo. Maggette may not be as good as Carter yet, but he's getting better. Wilcox is still developing, as is Jaric. Plus, a first round pick is something too valuable to them due to the fact that they consistently lose. That trade won't happen. Carter isn't worth that much, not even with Mo Pete being thrown in to the deal is he worth that much.

12. Bobcats

Bobcats JBB JustBBall Member

Szczerbiak and Olowokandi for Vince??? Ford's gotta lay off the crack pipe...

13. jenike

jenike JBB JustBBall Member

Ya, I think Olowakandi has missed more time to injuries than Vince has. And Sczerbiak was off almost a full season. The only reason I see this as potentially happening is because of Babcock's ties to Minnesota.

14. jenike

15. Bobcats

Bobcats JBB JustBBall Member

Could you post some of the article? I don't feel like registering. :P

16. Smoke

Smoke JBB JustBBall Member

Also i cant seem to register for some reason it keeps giving me an error with my email.

17. hagrid

hagrid JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">JJ is not going to go back to Phoenix as an FA with Q-Rich there, even if Marion was gone he'd be reluctant because he'd be playing SF</div>

Interesting thought OG15. Didn't realize JJ was on record as being discontent with his role. I've never been sold on Q Rich, but right now, partcularly with his salary, I'd think he's more likely to get the start than JJ.

What I don't understand is why they don't have QRich playing SF, but I guess that's a better question for the PHX forum.

18. jenike

Here is the article.

"Vince Carter wants to replace cousin Tracy McGrady as the leader and star of the Orlando Magic.

It's not going to happen.

Carter, from Daytona Beach Mainland High, is growing increasingly disgruntled in Toronto, where he has spent the first six years of his NBA career establishing himself as a star.

He asked for a trade earlier this summer, making it clear to both the Raptors and the Magic that his destination of first choice for a new home would be Orlando.

Although the two teams have had preliminary talks about Carter, the Magic do not have the interest it would take to make it happen. In any deal for Carter, the Raptors want another all-star, which with the Magic would be newly acquired point guard Steve Francis.

"There just aren't many scenarios you could draw up where we'd be a better team in acquiring him," Magic General Manager John Weisbrod said, "not when you factor in whom we would have to trade. I can say in no uncertain terms, we would not trade Steve Francis for Vince Carter."

Carter averaged 22.5 points last season compared with 16.6 points for Francis, who was acquired from Houston in the multi-player trade of McGrady earlier this summer. Both Carter and Francis are all-stars, but in the eyes of Weisbrod, there is no comparison.

"The more I'm around him, the more I'm a Steve Francis guy," Weisbrod said. "Don't get me wrong, Vince is an unbelievable athlete, but I'd rather have Steve Francis. Steve is a warrior."

Like a lot of teams, the Magic are concerned about Carter's toughness and his ability to make those around him better. The Raptors won just 24 and 33 games the past two seasons.

Carter's desire to return to his home state to play isn't going to happen anytime soon. Heat President Pat Riley also expressed little interest last week in Carter.

Carter wasn't available to comment. He was expected to be at the Tracy McGrady charity softball game Saturday at Walt Disney Wide World of Sports, but he canceled that appearance."

19. Plushlux

Plushlux JBB JustBBall Member

Does that deal get the Raptor's cap space next year?

20. 02civic

02civic JBB JustBBall Rookie Team

horrible deal