Vince Young, reportedly, gets 6/50 on wonderlic

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Uptown, Feb 25, 2006.

1. Uptown

Uptown NFLC nflcentral.net Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>VINCE'S PICK-SIX IS CONFIRMED We've confirmed that Texas quarterback Vince Young has indeed scored a measly six on the Wonderlic test, administered annually to the potential members of the draft class at the scouting combine. Said one league insider, "It's also the number of the round he'll be drafted in." There's a significant buzz in Indy regarding the ridiculously low marks. Though we're not quite sure that there's much of a correlation between book smarts and football ability, we've got a feeling that, of all positions, quarterback is the one that requires at least some basic cognitive ability. Unless, of course, the offense consists of making one read and then pulling the ball down and running -- which is the very approach the team that drafts Young might have to employ. Though the suggestion that Young will last until round six is an exaggeration, the thinking is that he lost millions of dollars via his poor performance on the test, and that it's now a virtual certainty that Vanderbilt quarterback Jay Cutler will pass him in round one.http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm</div>That's a low ass score for an NFL QB.

2. Uptown

Here's the article that was posted before this article. <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>VINCE IS STOOPID? A league source tells us that there's a rumor making the rounds at the combine that Texas quarterback Vince Young scored a miserably horrible six on the Wonderlic test. A six! That's bad. It's beyond bad. In fact, it's the lowest score that we can ever remember hearing anyone getting. All incoming NFL players take a 50-question version of the Wonderlic, with a 12-minute window within which to finish it. We found 15 sample Wonderlic questions on ESPN.com's page 2(http://espn.go.com/page2/s/closer/020228test.html), including such brain-benders as selecting the ninth month of the year from among five possible choices. We'd like to think that most people of average intelligence could get at least six of the 15 sample questions right. Getting a total of only six out of a total of 50 questions of that same kind is pa-freakin'-thetic. For a guy who's going to be called upon to read defenses and call audibles and work through a progression of receivers against NFL-caliber opposition, it's downright scary. The source tells us that he hasn't seen the result in writing yet, but that he's "99 percent" certain that Young's score was six. Said the source, who knows a thing or two about evaluating college players: "I predict he'll fall all the way out of the first round." That's a bold statement, and we're not saying that we agree with it -- primarily because our guess is that there's someone almost dumb enough to get a six on the Wonderlic, who'll overlook Young's low score along with any other concerns that might come to light over the next two months.</div>

3. Chaintime

Chaintime NFLC nflcentral.net Writing Team

Ya wow, I still think he'll be the top QB picked but still com'on. Wait a second there is a QB names Jay Culter who's smart, he came from Vanderbilt [​IMG]

4. Uptown

Here's some other QB scores that I found.Tom Brady 33Dan Marino 14Steve Young 33Vinny Testaverde 18Randall Cunningham 15Rich Gannon 27Troy Aikman 29Bret Favre 22Drew Bledsoe 37Kordell Stewart 12Michael Bishop 10Donovan McNabb 12Dante Culpepper 15Chris Redman 16AJ Feeley 19Michale Vick 20David Carr 24Ben Rothlisberger 25Chad Pennington 25

5. Nebkreb

Nebkreb NFLC nflcentral.net Member

wow....6...i bet i could do better than that....on that list, the scramblers (Cunningham, K Stewart) both got low...the highest was Bledsoe

6. AdropOFvenom

AdropOFvenom BBW Member

That just confirmed my "wouldnt touch him with a 40 foot pole" stance.Scoring a 6 on that test is basically like scoring a 80 on an IQ test. It means your basically mentally challanged.No way in hell would I want the QB on my team to be like that..... [​IMG]

7. Brooksie5

Brooksie5 NFLC nflcentral.net Member

I don't think he should be a first day pick if he stays at QB. Not just because of this thing. If he switches to WR or something he can be a 1st rounder, but at QB I don't think he should be.

8. Chaintime

Chaintime NFLC nflcentral.net Writing Team

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Brooksie5 @ Feb 26 2006, 12:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I don't think he should be a first day pick if he stays at QB. Not just because of this thing. If he switches to WR or something he can be a 1st rounder, but at QB I don't think he should be.</div>That is funny, everybody on this earth who loves and studies the NFL draft and there prospects know that Young is obvisouly a top 10 pick, so saying he shouldn't be a first day pick is absurd, that's almost has stupid as when Young got a 6 on the wonderlic test. [​IMG]

9. Project

Project NFLC nflcentral.net Member

Wow, you were pointing those people out, Vick who can't throw for his life, got a 20 and Young gets a 6 sad.

10. JHair

JHair NFLC nflcentral.net Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nebkreb @ Feb 26 2006, 12:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>....on that list, the scramblers (Cunningham, K Stewart) both got low...</div>And McNabb (he was more of a scrambler coming out of college) with a 12.LOL, here's "Famous Scores" on Wikipedia.com<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>* Brian Griese ? 39 * Akili Smith ? 37, but is suspected of cheating because the first time he took the test he got a 15 * Tom Brady ? 33 * Steve Young ? 33 * John Elway ? 30 * Brett Favre ? 22 * Dan Marino ? 16 * Jeff George ? 10 * Vince Young ? 6Wide receiver Kevin Curtis of the St. Louis Rams scored a 48 out of 50.</div>Vince Young is already on there updated as a DUMDUM.

11. Uptown

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>COMBINE OFFICIALS RE-CHECKING YOUNG'S TEST? There's talk around Indy that the combine folks are taking a closer look at the score of six generated by Texas quarterback Vince Young on the Wonderlic test. They're supposedly checking to see whether Young's incomprehensibly low marks might be the result of errors made by Young in answering the questions. But if this is true, isn't answering the questions properly part of getting the answers right? And understanding how to take the test and answer the questions is a big part of what a seasoned agent can teach the guy. Even if the combine folk find that there was some sort of a problem with Young's answers, and that he actually got more than six right, we're not quite sure what will happen. We've never heard of this kind of thing before. Then again, we've never heard of such a high-profile quarterback generating such a bad result.</div>

12. Hypnotic

Hypnotic NFLC nflcentral.net Member

You know who scored a 10 but was still a great player? Barry Sanders. I had to do a thesis paper in college for my sports psych class and used the wonderlic test along with other mental tests......trust me scouts just do this test as protocol.

13. AdropOFvenom

AdropOFvenom BBW Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hypnotic™ @ Feb 26 2006, 12:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Ypouknow who scored a 10 but was still a great player? Barry Sanders. I had to do a thesis paper in college for my sports psych class and used the wonderlic test along with other mental tests......trust me scouts just do this test as protocol.</div>It also takes alot less brains to be a Runningback then it does a Quarterback.A Quarterback has to learn an entire playbook, he has to learn how to read an NFL Defense Pre and Post snap, He has to know what adjustments to make, what audibles to call, ect. It requires alot of brains and using them extremly quickly because you only have 3 seconds to read the defense, find an open WR and throw the ball.A Runningback only has to learn the playbook and follow his blockers.Scoring a 6 on the Wonderlic exam is about the equivilant of being mentally challanged and do you want to be handing an NFL Offense into someone who this test scores show as mentally challanged. I sure wouldnt.To be honest, I hope for his sake that he did take the test wrong or something like Uptown said, cause a 6 is just pitiful.

14. Sham

Sham BBW Member

I say that VYoung should be drafted overall first.

15. Nebkreb

being a running back isnt just learning the palybook and following blockersin no particular order:learning playaction fake protocolpicking up blocking on pass playsproper placement on screensread blitzes before snap (yes, RBs do this too, especially on Run palys)pass routesdelayed pass routes (timing)timing of draws and delayspossibly, kick returning/puint returningand much more...

16. Brooksie5

Brooksie5 NFLC nflcentral.net Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Wide receiver Kevin Curtis of the St. Louis Rams scored a 48 out of 50.</div>That's why he's so good.

17. AdropOFvenom

AdropOFvenom BBW Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nebkreb @ Feb 26 2006, 02:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>being a running back isnt just learning the palybook and following blockersin no particular order:learning playaction fake protocolpicking up blocking on pass playsproper placement on screensread blitzes before snap (yes, RBs do this too, especially on Run palys)pass routesdelayed pass routes (timing)timing of draws and delayspossibly, kick returning/puint returningand much more...</div>Yeah, but its not half as mental as being a Quarterback in this league and we both know it.

18. K_Winslow80

K_Winslow80 NFLC nflcentral.net Member

COMBINE OFFICIAL SCREWED UP VINCE'S WONDERLICA league source tells us that Texas quarterback Vince Young indeed scored a six on the Wonderlic test on Saturday -- but that the guy who graded the test screwed the thing up when totaling the number of right answers.Combine officials, we're told, have re-scored the Young's test and the test of all other players who took it in his group. NFL teams will get the official Wonderlic results for all players later in the week.On Saturday, there was widespread chatter at the combine that Young got only six out of 50 questions right on the standard test used by the NFL to gauge player intelligence. The Nashville Tennessean corroborated the reports of the low score in its Sunday edition. Whether the actual number was 6 or 50 or something in between remains to be seen. It's a major embarrassment, in our view, for the folks who put on the combine. Because it's inevitable that this information will get out (indeed, Pro Football Weekly got their mitts on the full Wonderlic results from the 2005 combine), it's critical that the folks charged with grading the tests get it right.It's even more important that the scores are right before the information is leaked. We have a feeling that this one could get interesting. Stay tuned.POSTED 2:07 p.m. EST; LAST UPDATED 3:11 p.m. EST, February 26, 2006http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm Who knows [​IMG]

19. JHair

JHair NFLC nflcentral.net Member

After that article/update, watch Young STILL have a 6 when they re-grade it, hahah

20. Nebkreb

even better, it becomes like a 4